• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF multiplayer problem because too many mods

Hello, I'm hosting a private listen server to play with a few close friends every now and then, and I've been steadily filling the game with mods until the multiplayer got broken pretty bad.

I'm using Server Perks, with currently 10 perks, 138 weapons in the trader, 3 extra player skins, and a lot of new specimens (the standard zeds, the circus zeds, the halloween old and new zeds, some xmas zeds, doom 3 monsters by Marco, dead space and aliens monsters by WPC, specimens by the community like the shiver and brute etc., a total of ~100 enemy types). I first used the enemy replacing script from the doom 3 monsters mod, but have since written a new game type instead for more control over which and how many enemies get spawned.

Everything works perfectly in solo and with bots. The problem is when we do multiplayer, as we added more and more stuff we first noticed KF-Farm broke, when we tried to play that map, only I the host would load it no problem, everyone else trying to join will stay on connect f10 to cancel screen. As we kept adding more stuff more maps started acting this way until the most simple maps like KF-Horizon and KF-HeresyBeta3 would remain without connecting problems. Now after the latest additions of extra weapons even these broke.

After quite a lot of searching in google I found some old conversations here about how the game has a limit on how many packages can get loaded before this happens, and as a solution to try merging all the packages into a single package, which though seems way too hard to do, especially since I have to not only edit the .uc files to point to the new package, but also edit the .ukx and .usx files to point to the new sounds and textures within the new package, and all seems like it may take me months to do it properly. I was wondering if there is some other solution that you've found to this issue by now?

I'm deleting the steam_appid.txt file after I use ucc, so this is not the problem, ports are forwarded properly and the server works fine when I start disabling perks and weapons to lower the number loaded at once, or if I dont host on the new gametype with the new monsters, so I'm sure that the problem that I'm having is exactly this, way too many packages. And I really need some help sorting this out, because as it is now, we can't play multiplayer without removing all the content that Ive worked so hard to put together... I tried combining all the .uc files for the new enemies and weapons into a single .u package, but that didn't seem to change anything, I guess it's the asset packages that need to be combined...

Last edited:
Yes, I did send them all the needed files, and no, I don't want to remove content after all the hard work I did to integrate all this into the game and balanse it.

As it is now, I can't find any other solution than to start merging the asset packages together, so if you know of any other way, please share it. In the mean time, I'll put it on hold and go work on another project for a while, I need to clear my mind...

Upvote 0
I was too lazy to start merging the packages together, so I went on to play other games until now, but I really want to finish this and play it with friends, so I started trying out how merging packages works, turns out its for the most part much easier than I thought it would be, I just need to "rename" each asset within the packages, the "rename" function allows you to not only rename the asset itself but also to rename the package that it's in.

So far so good, but the references to other files still points to the old packages. Things like references to textures that a mesh uses and stuff. Well, that's not too hard to change either, but I reached a part that will probably make me rage quit - anim notifys! There are thousands of the damn things for each animated mesh, and it seems like I have to manually re-do each and every one of them. This can take ages! Are there no other ways to do this than to click in the Editor's interface? In the GoldSource and Source engines (Half-Life) the notifies (called events there) are set in a .qc script, which is a text file so doing this over there can take less than a minute using notepad++'s "replace all in all opened documents" funcion, but there seems to be no way to do something like that in UE2 :(

Upvote 0