• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Blackscreens (often correlated to crossbow use)

fairycake

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 19, 2014
Hi guys! I reinstalled my computer and upgraded from Win7 32 bit 64bit. All drivers are updated. I have a AMD Radeon HD 7700 graphics card. All games are working absolutely fine. Except Killing Floor.
And while I did have problems with the game blacking out at points before (sounds still audible, after 5 to 10 seconds the screen returns to the game (meanwhile you're maimed and often killed)), my friends and I managed to tone it down to a black screen once every few waves (by lowering the graphic settings, setting the graphic card to 'perfomance' instead of quality etc).

Except this time. None of these tricks worked! I've been trying to fix Killing Floor for the past few days. First of all it completely crashes with this Critical Error Message then popping up:

Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 2500 MHz with 4095MB RAM
Video: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series (1299)

IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::Lock failed(88760870).

History: FD3D9VertexStream::Cache <- FD3D9RenderInterface::SetVertexStreams <- USkeletalMeshInstance::Render <- FDynamicActor::Render <- RenderLevel <- KF-WestLondon.myLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level KF-WestLondon <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 726F6F6C 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

I managed to prevent the complete game crash by changing something in the .ini file, found here. It disables some of the Advanced Graphics Options, but I can live with that. (I also tried updating DirectX but it didn't help)

So, game crashes were taken care of but ...

The blackscreens persisted. And in such frequency - and their tendency to 'once you go blackscreen, it brings all its friends and they just don't stop' - that I couldn't really play anymore. As soon as there is too much action going on (in the later waves), with sirens, husks and their graphics effects, it blacks out.

I also realised the most odd thing: every single time that I play sharpshooter and use the crossbow (aka, swapping to it or swapping from it) I instantly cause the black screen fun! I tested it many, many times. (If I don't use the crossbow, the gaming experience lasts until later rounds)

I tried every single fix listed here. I also reinstalled the game all over three times already, as well as downloading from a different server.
I also tried refreshing the Steam files. Windowed mode. Etc etc. (see the fix list that I linked)

So far I didn't get lucky, and by now I am absolutely at the end of my rope.This is one of my most favourite games and I'd be heartbroken to give it up.

Now, I hope there's someone out there able to help me out ...!

Thanks for taking the time.

UPDATE: Funnily enough, when I tested earlier, my game crashed even though I had the [Engine.Engine] RenderDevice fix in the .ini file.
I switched to DirextX 3D - I think that may have done the trick, but I am not sure, since after that I always quit the game as soon as the blackscreens popped up. (The complete game crash happens after a few completed rounds, I usually buy the crossbow in the first trader break and swap weapons and if the blackscreen pops up, I'm gone!)