• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server KF CentOS 6.4 Installation problems

Massacrer

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2012
hzgaming.net
Hi, I'm on CentOS 6.4 and I have been running three KF servers for over a year now and after the latest server update, I'm getting the following error when starting the server:

Code:
./ucc-bin-real: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by ./ucc-bin-real)

As I understand, this means that glibc needs to be version 2.15. However, the issue is that CentOS is still using 2.12 as illustrated here:

Code:
[root@server kf]# yum -y install glibc
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
* base: yum.singlehop.com
* epel: mirror.steadfast.net
* extras: mirror.steadfast.net
* updates: mirror.steadfast.net
Setting up Install Process
Package glibc-2.12-1.107.el6.x86_64 already installed and latest version
Nothing to do

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to get my servers back up? Thanks.

yeah same here
here some screens though
3ufwe.png

Upvote 0
https://getsatisfaction.com/bladesy...c_2_15_and_cannot_easily_be_run_on_centos_6_3

This page seems to have a solution.

As it appears on that page:

Grab the following files (from ubuntu, for example)
libc.so.6
libdl.so.2
libgcc_s.so.1
libm.so.6
libpthread.so.0
librt.so.1
libstdc++.so.6
ld-linux.so.2

Put them next to your executable for the server (eg, /steam/games/kf/system/) and then it should work.

Looking for the files in question now. I'm sure there's a binary FTP for ubuntu somewhere.

Upvote 0
https://getsatisfaction.com/bladesy...c_2_15_and_cannot_easily_be_run_on_centos_6_3

Looks like we're not the first ones with this problem.

The solution, listed in the link, is to grab the following files from an Ubuntu install:
ibc.so.6
libdl.so.2
libgcc_s.so.1
libm.so.6
libpthread.so.0
librt.so.1
libstdc++.so.6
ld-linux.so.2

Don't install them, but copy them into your KF direction (eg, steam/kf/system/)

Looking for a place where these files can be found. Might need to grab an ISO and extract it yourself.

Upvote 0
Same problem here :/ not bad enough they have to make several unannounced changes to the core code... they have to screw up ONLY linux servers with this patch too... heh why am I shocked. They never seem to get these events right they always break something

Edit: Running Unbuntu here same problem, definitely on tripwires end with this one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, I've encountered the same problem too after updating my Linux server via SteamCMD. I'm on Debian 5.0 and glibc is 2.11.
Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to get my servers back up? Thanks.
I believe we should wait for a fix for this issue as upgrading glibc is a difficult thing that will most likely break up your system (as I've read on some forums).

Upvote 0
TWI, you have broken the server for Linux for many people.

Debian Squeeze (old stable, still in security support until next year) has glibc 2.11.
Debian Wheezy (stable, just out this year) has glibc 2.13
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (EOL April 2015) has glibc 2.11

My guess is you have built on Ubuntu Precise 12.04 LTS which has glibc 2.15. I know Valve have targeted this version of Ubuntu for the Linux Steam client (which I believe was foolish).

I hope you don't really require glibc 2.15 and you can rebuild for 2.11, otherwise you're going to have a lot of annoyed server admins. Reinstalling a dedicated server with Ubuntu 12.04 is not an option for me, I'll just drop all 6 of my public servers.

You really should have tested this on a wider number of current Linux distros, especially CentOS and/or Debian.

EDIT: Checking CentOS 6.4, that was released this year.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm running a server on Debian 7 amd64 which has glibc 2.13 in its repository --> server doesn't start.
Code:
./ucc-bin-real: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by ./ucc-bin-real)
./ucc-bin-real: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by ./ucc-bin-real)

I grabbed the required libraries out of the debian testing packages (glibc v2.17), placed them into the System/ folder and tried again:
Code:
Signal: SIGSEGV [segmentation fault]
Aborting.

Crash information will be saved to your logfile.
*** Error in `./ucc-bin-real': free(): invalid pointer: 0xabcdef01 ***
Missing Class Class Editor.TransBuffer
Browse: KF-WestLondon.rom?Name=KFPlayer?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Corporal_Lewis?team=1?Sex=M?VACSecured=true?MaxPlayers=6
Collecting garbage
Purging garbage
Garbage: objects: 62243->62241; refs: 795559
Game class is 'KFGameType'
After that, the process hangs. I didn't wait more than a minute but CPU-usage of the process is zero. 0xabcdef01 is a random hex address. The logfile (ucc.log, is there another one?) is 0 bytes in size. I grabbed some more libraries out of the libc package (ld-linux.so.2, libdl.so.6, libpthread.so.0, librt.so.1) but the error stayed the same.
I see two possible solutions: Tripwire recompiles the server against v2.13 or 2.11 again (which is probably too much work, idk) or Tripwire or someone else finds the right libraries to package with the server.
Has anyone else had any success?

Upvote 0
Sorry for double-posting, my first post is not visible to me yet.

Seems like i found a temporary solution:
I extracted the contents of the /lib/i386-linux-gnu/ folder in the ubuntu glibc 2.15 package available here into the System/ folder (thats a whole bunch of libraries and symlinks). And voila, the server is running without error.

Upvote 0
Ok, so what happened here is that we upgraded the build system to target the Valve Runtime, which was based on Ubuntu 12.04.

As you can see, this caused problems on older glibc installs.

We're going to roll back the server's compiler to correct this shortly. We _will_ require the newer glibc at some point in the future, but it's just absolutely not cool that you got zero warning like this (and, if we knew this would happen, we wouldn't have upgraded the compiler yet).

Sorry for the problems,
--ryan.

Upvote 0