• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Hosting a Dedicated Server with SteamCMD

doesnt really say much for linux usage, so gonna have to start punching in stuff and see what happens.

so does this mean we can have red orchestra 2 linux servers now?

Here's what I found to use:

STEAMEXE=steamcmd ./steam.sh +login steamusername steampassword +force_install_dir ./kf/ +app_update 215360 validate

Change ./kf/ to meet your directory requirements. I installed to a new directory so I could move files over from my old server install to the new one...which was a giant unnecessary pain in the ***, I have 4TB of data transfer on my server I don't care if I need to redownload the entire server. If the only benefit to this change is less data transferred to update a server then...I really don't get why you guys did this.

I really like almost everything else you do, this was a pain in the *** to update a white listed server that had custom maps and mutators. Glad I was already drinking before I started! :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can anyone post an updated KF Linux guide? I don't know exactly what I'm doing since the wiki information is basically windows only and I use Linux only to host servers.

I've been using this batch to run my server, not sure how I'd update it for the new one.

#!/bin/bash
echo Killing current server
killall ucc-bin-real
# This will effectively make the script a means of restarting the server.

cd kfserver
./steam -command update -game killingfloor -dir . -verify_all -retry
# This updates the files to latest version before launching the game.

# Server start vars
vac="true"
slots="6"
LOG="/home/pyrojoe/kfserver/log"
mut="MutKFAntiBlocker.MutKFAntiBlocker"

echo "Starting KF Server..."

cd system/

./ucc-bin server KF-Stealth_Final.rom\
?game=KFmod.KFGameType\
?VACSecured=$vac\
?MaxPlayers=$slots\
?Mutator=$mut\
? -nohomedir ini=KillingFloor.ini log=$LOG/server1.log

# EOF

Upvote 0
Fantastic. Nice ****up there!. I just heard about the update, and tonight the guys and me were going to blast some zeds, but after going to update the server and receiving ****, I see that the system has totally changed unexpectedly and nobody even thought about making a migration guide.

Way to go, Tripwire. Thanks for the update and the maps and the weapons, I really love you, but you guys really dropped the ball here. You should have warned us admins at least a week in advance so we could be ready, we'll see how many servers are down this weekend because of this. I know about one that almost surely will be: mine.

Upvote 0
I had a ton of problems with the update on my 5 Linux servers.
All 5 are CentOS 5.x, and it was a royal pain to get them updated.
This command:
STEAMEXE=steamcmd ./steam.sh +login steamusername steampassword +force_install_dir ./kf/ +app_update 215360 validate
Only worked on 2 of the 5 servers. I had to use another work around on the other three.

I am not entirely certain TWI had a lot of choice on this migration to the dreaded "SteamCMD" updated method, so let's calm down a bit.
This isn't the first cockup we've seen that was actually a result of Steam forcing a change on the community either.
(I can think back to a client connection problem awhile back that I still suspect Steam for...)

Upvote 0
Linux Stuff. ( CentOS 5 )

Code:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/tosteamcmd/linux32

cd /path/tosteamcmd/linux32

./steamcmd +runscript /pathto/linux32/kf_server.txt

kf_server.txt

Code:
// update_kf_ds.txt
//
login <user_name> <password>
force_install_dir /pathto/killingfloor
app_update 215360 validate
exit

Upvote 0
ok, so i renamed the directory, and re-downloaded all the materials into a new directory.
and it works.

but....i had the admin tools, some mutators, etc. set up before this change; is there any way to move the config file etc. over to the new install, or do i have to set this up all over again?

also, the hlds updater lied and said it updated, so it took a while to find this thread (since i had no clue about the change). you might want to just turn off the old updater, so others dont think it updated when it didnt.

mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I managed to update and install my Linux servers KF
Here's what I did:

Create a folder in the /home
exemple: mkdir cmdsteam
then: cd /cmdsteam

(not necessarily need to put with your servers,
think of removing all that was before with HLDS)

1.wget http://blog.counter-strike.net/wp-content/uploads//2012/04/steamcmd.tar.gz (for linux)

2.tar xfvz steamcmd.tar.gz

3.STEAMEXE=steamcmd ./steam.sh

4.Then a menu that load and you just have to continue,
if you have an error,check if you have any delete HLDS

5.login user password

(You need a Steam account,i suggest you create a new Steam account and disable the guard Steam)

6.force_install_dir /home/serverkf/server1

(Whether for an installation or update
indicate the path of your server)

7.app_update 215360 (Linux)

(Then you just run the command and everything will be checked, so he will do an installation or an update, but you have to do nothing everything is automatic)

8.quit
I hope it'll help the admins,for those still block do not hesitate

for Windows is almost identical (except windows installer and app_update) but I have not try sorry

after it is better to use the command in a script:
STEAMEXE=steamcmd ./steam.sh +login username password +force_install_dir /home/serverkf/server1 +app_update 215360 validate +quit

Sorry for my bad english :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello!

I'm trying to make a fresh install with steamcmd but i got some libraries issues. I'm on a debian squeeze 64bits distribution.

/home/unreal/steamcmd# STEAMEXE=steamcmd ./steam.sh
/home/unreal/steamcmd/linux32/steamcmd: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I tried to export the lib with
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/unreal/steamcmd/linux32/
but it still doesn't work.

If i go to /usr/lib, i can see there is already an libstdc++.so.6
any idea?

Upvote 0
For an old time fan, and apparently "casual player", who absolutely hates playing on public servers and prefers hosting his own Dedicated server with friends - and ONLY for that specific evening at the time - this update really stomps on my balls. I've had issues getting to my own servers for a while now, then came the "game is currently unavailable" error when hosting... now this?

That much tweaking, hacking and adjusting just to run a goddamn server? No go. Seems like this "summer festival" means the death of the game for me, unless a WORKING quick-host system is added IN TO THE GAME.

And no, Listen server is not a good replacement in any sort of way.

Upvote 0
I did everything that was in the SteamCmd walkthrough for windows but people still can't join my server. Also the files that the walkthrough on this forum says to edit to change difficulty and length of the game don't match up. Like there isn't a GameDifficulty in the txt file.

Edit: I'm seeing that the reason why people can't join is because I need to open ports, now I just need to figure out how to do that. Ok so I've logged into my router and the walkthrough on the forum doesn't really do much to guide me at this point.

Edit2: Alright I think my ports are properly forwarded now but people still can't connect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0