• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Hosting a Dedicated Server with SteamCMD

Is it possible to run several KF server instances from the same Steam account with this new system? I'm asking about the Linux version. (I'm guessing the Windows command line version will work similarly)

Do I have to force the install directory to different directories?

For example (within the same Steam account)

Code:
>force_install_dir /home/unreal/killingfloor

>app_update 215360 validate

And then for server nr X

>force_install_dir /home/unreal/killingfloor[X]

>app_update 215360 validate

If anybody knows, I'd like to know :)

PS: Valve kan kiss my b*lls :IS2:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Can't connect to Steam

Can't connect to Steam

Good Morning/Afternoon

I am having a tad bit of trouble trying to launch SteamCmd...

I have followed the instructions that are there to connect to SteamCmd -

Started Command Prompt -> cd /d c:\SteamCmd -> SteamCmd though instead of finishing I get a message saying.. C:\SteamCmd>SteamCmd: :AddFile <> failed to load file "Public/steambootstrapper_english.txt".

After getting this message it proceeds to fail all of my downloads, I have installed it in a fresh path as stated in the tutorial kept it away from my Steam folders I have even tried putting it on another drive where it still failed...

I run Vista 32b and yes I have admin privileges, I have disabled AVG and turned my firewall off briefly to stop any blocked connections. Before Extracting my SteamCmd I closed all steam applications off, checked Task Manager services which states it is closed. All of my ports are open as I was hosting a listen server for a friend earlier, and my straight steam dedicated server which closes my client works still..?

From the older servers -> hldsupdatetool which I have uninstalled and deleted, I have the additional ports open which were stated in the tutorial..

If anyone else is having this problem and has resolved it could you please help my self, and anyone else who may currently be having this issue out?

Cheers
Fr0stii

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Good day,
I have had a fair amount of trouble with this new system. I thought it would be just as easy to set up a Killing Floor server for me and my friends as it was to set up a TF2 server, but oh I was sadly mistaken.
After about half an hour of trial and error (and a lot of reading) I've managed to run steamcmd on my Ubuntu server. However it seems that I need some sort of Steam.cfg that it did not come with. It crashes with the following message: "Tried to read undefined arg name: ActivityLogFile".
I tried to outsmart this stupid system by creating a Steam.cfg file in the main steamcmd directory and in it I wrote
Code:
ActivityLogFile="damnyouvalve.log"
Guess what, it worked... partially. On the next start steamcmd now requested the variable "ActivityLogEnable". Turns out it wants me to give it dozens upon dozens of variables. Why do I have to come up with these? Isn't there some sort of default Steam.cfg that I can just manipulate without figuring out what all these variables like "ActivityLogContextCsCommReadManifestFSM" mean?

Upvote 0
Hello!

I'm trying to make a fresh install with steamcmd but i got some libraries issues. I'm on a debian squeeze 64bits distribution.

I tried to export the lib with
but it still doesn't work.

If i go to /usr/lib, i can see there is already an libstdc++.so.6
any idea?

Since I'm running 32bit Debain myself I'm not 100% sure if this is the case, but I read that if you are running 64 bit then you will need ia32-libs for steamcmd to work properly.

As root try running the following command in a console:
Code:
apt-get install ia32-libs
Once it's installed try running steamcmd again.

I hope this is helpful.

Im getting same error and im running centos 5.8 32bit version.

Upvote 0
so... I'm like "hey, you can download KF on the new system now, I'll have to look into that at some point", but it was only when people started complaining they were having issues that I realised:

despite the new system being mandatory for new updates, the old command will still happily let you download an obsolete copy of the server

please get the obsolete killing floor removed from the OLD update system ASAP please, it just causes unnecessary confusion

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This **** is pissing me off now. :mad:

Code:
 ./steam.sh
./steam.sh: line 49: ulimit: open files: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted
./steam.sh: line 56: /home/kfserver/kfserver/linux32/steam: is a directory

Then I run:

Code:
 STEAMEXE=steamcmd ./steam.sh
./steam.sh: line 49: ulimit: open files: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted
/home/kfserver/kfserver/linux32/steamcmd: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.10' not found (required by /home/kfserver/kfserver/linux32/steamcmd)
/home/kfserver/kfserver/linux32/steamcmd: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by /home/kfserver/kfserver/linux32/steamcmd)

So then I do

Code:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/kfserver/kfserver/linux32/

Then:

Code:
/home/kfserver/kfserver/linux32/steamcmd: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.10' not found (required by /home/kfserver/kfserver/linux32/steamcmd)
/home/kfserver/kfserver/linux32/steamcmd: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by /home/kfserver/kfserver/linux32/steamcmd)

No idea what to do next. Keep getting this stupid error, server ran fine the old way. :mad:

Upvote 0
Thanks to a member here, he sent me some files that were missing in the linux32/ directory.

• crashhandler.so
  • libstdc++.so.6
  • libsteam.so
  • libtier0_s.so
  • libvstdlib_s.so
  • steamclient.so
  • steamconsole.so

Downloaded them to the server, then ran the commend ./steam.sh again.

This is the results:

Code:
./steam.sh: line 49: ulimit: open files: cannot modify limit: Operation not perm                                                   itted
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(0)
ILocalize::AddFile() failed to load file "public/steambootstrapper_english.txt".
[  0%] Checking for available update...
[  0%] Downloading update (0 of 10,116 KB)...
[  0%] Downloading update (1,040 of 10,116 KB)...
[ 10%] Downloading update (4,377 of 10,116 KB)...
[ 43%] Downloading update (6,522 of 10,116 KB)...
[ 64%] Downloading update (8,553 of 10,116 KB)...
[ 84%] Downloading update (10,116 of 10,116 KB)...
[100%] Download Complete.
[----] Applying update...
[----] Extracting package...
[----] Installing update...
[----] Cleaning up...
[----] Failed to remove temporary unzip folder, continuing anyway
[----] Update complete, launching...
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1334262703)
[  0%] Checking for available updates...
[  0%] Download complete.
[----] Verifying installation...
unlinked 0 orphaned pipes
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'common::CNamedArgsUndefinedNameE                                                   xception'
  what():  Tried to read undefined arg name: ActivityLogFile
Uploading dump (in-process) [proxy '']
/tmp/dumps/crash_20120727131418_1.dmp
success = no
error:  Failed to open/read local data from file/application
./steam.sh: line 63: 16987 Aborted                 ${DEBUGGER} "${STEAMROOT}"/${                                                   PLATFORM}/${STEAMEXE} "$@"

Searched for this file /tmp/dumps/crash_20120727131418_1.dmp but /tmp/dumps is an empty directory. Nothing in it.

Ran the command one more time:

Code:
./steam.sh: line 53: ulimit: open files: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted
main.cpp (325) : Assertion Failed: Looks like steam didn't shutdown cleanly, scheduling immediate update check
Assert( Assertion Failed: Looks like steam didn't shutdown cleanly, scheduling immediate update check ):/home/buildbot/buildslave_steam/steam_rel_client_linux/build/src/steamcmd/../steamexe/main.cpp:325

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'common::CNamedArgsUndefinedNameException'
Uploading dump (in-process) [proxy '']
/tmp/dumps/crash_20120727131816_1.dmp
success = no
error:  Failed to open/read local data from file/application
./steam.sh: line 67: 17146 Aborted                 ${DEBUGGER} "${STEAMROOT}"/${PLATFORM}/${STEAMEXE} "$@"

edit:
Deleted the /tmp/dumps directory. Ran the command again.

Code:
./steam.sh: line 53: ulimit: open files: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted
main.cpp (325) : Assertion Failed: Looks like steam didn't shutdown cleanly, scheduling immediate update check
Assert( Assertion Failed: Looks like steam didn't shutdown cleanly, scheduling immediate update check ):/home/buildbot/buildslave_steam/steam_rel_client_linux/build/src/steamcmd/../steamexe/main.cpp:325

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'common::CNamedArgsUndefinedNameException'
./steam.sh: line 67: 17564 Segmentation fault      ${DEBUGGER} "${STEAMROOT}"/${PLATFORM}/${STEAMEXE} "$@"

This time a file is in /tmp/dumps named crash_20120727132126_1.dmp and opening the file results in strange characters.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Good Morning/Afternoon

I am having a tad bit of trouble trying to launch SteamCmd...

I have followed the instructions that are there to connect to SteamCmd -

Started Command Prompt -> cd /d c:\SteamCmd -> SteamCmd though instead of finishing I get a message saying.. C:\SteamCmd>SteamCmd: :AddFile <> failed to load file "Public/steambootstrapper_english.txt".

After getting this message it proceeds to fail all of my downloads, I have installed it in a fresh path as stated in the tutorial kept it away from my Steam folders I have even tried putting it on another drive where it still failed...

I run Vista 32b and yes I have admin privileges, I have disabled AVG and turned my firewall off briefly to stop any blocked connections. Before Extracting my SteamCmd I closed all steam applications off, checked Task Manager services which states it is closed. All of my ports are open as I was hosting a listen server for a friend earlier, and my straight steam dedicated server which closes my client works still..?

From the older servers -> hldsupdatetool which I have uninstalled and deleted, I have the additional ports open which were stated in the tutorial..

If anyone else is having this problem and has resolved it could you please help my self, and anyone else who may currently be having this issue out?

Cheers
Fr0stii
Same problem here...

attachment.php

Attachments

• steamcmderror.jpg
    steamcmderror.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
This **** is pissing me off now. :mad:

Code:
 ./steam.sh
./steam.sh: line 56: /home/kfserver/kfserver/linux32/steam: is a directory
Then I run:

Code:
So then I do

Code:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/kfserver/kfserver/linux32/
Then:

Code:
No idea what to do next. Keep getting this stupid error, server ran fine the old way. :mad:

On this post http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=1100640&postcount=8 try that.

Do not use steam.sh I have nothing but problems trying to use it. Instead try simply using the ./steamcmd example i used there.

Upvote 0
I'm attempting to install and run steamCmd on a ubuntu serve but when I type the command: "STEAMEXE=steamcmd ./steam.sh" (without the quotes) I get this:
ILocalize::AddFile() failed to load file "public/steambootstrapper_english.txt".
[ 0%] Checking for available update...
[ 0%] Download Complete.
Then it does not give me the: "Steam>" Prompt.
Anyone else having this problem?

Upvote 0
Like there isn't a GameDifficulty in the txt file.
connect.

KillingFloor.ini
Check this. I couldn't find it 2
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=40355[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=40355[/URL]

Alright I think my ports are properly forwarded now but people still can't

I have same issue and dnt understand this. I use comodo firewall both, server (PC) and laptop (KF game) = port forwarded. This is strange, yesterday i had 6 playing ppl :eek:. Unfortunately for my friends server dsnt respond. They can't connect by me, even from external IP. I sent an email to my ISP. They do not block any ports.

Upvote 0

I had the same issue, so I tried putting the exe in the Steam directory and it no longer showed that error, however now it says this:

Code:
C:\Program Files\Steam>steamcmd
SteamUpdater: Error: Download failed: http error 0
[  0%] Downloading update...
SteamUpdater: Error: Download failed: http error 0
SteamUpdater: Error: Steam needs to be online to update.  Please confirm your ne
twork connection and try again.
[  0%] !!! Fatal Error: Steam needs to be online to update.  Please confirm your
 network connection and try again.

I've tried both with and without Steam running but it says the same no matter what. I'm running on Vista 32-bit and launching command prompt as administrator.

Upvote 0