• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor on Linux - Steam Beta

[TW]Wilsonam

VP, Tripwire Int.
Oct 17, 2005
Roswell, GA
www.tripwireinteractive.com
Pound_Linux_small.png
Yes, we're happy to tell you that Killing Floor is now on its way into the Steam Linux Beta. For those of you wanting to try it out, if you aren't already in the Linux Beta, we hear they will be expanding it soon. We'll be rolling Killing Floor out fully when Steam goes live with the Linux Client. And we will be adding Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 (and the Mac version, too) and Dwarfs!? if all goes to plan, as well!

For those with access to the Steam beta, we'd like to hear your feedback, bugs, issues or anything else.

Killing Floor in Ubuntu!
YEEEAAAH.
There's nothing wrong with KF, but everything's wrong with the video driver.
ATI Could polish the OpenGL rendering... Because, there's a massive drop on framerate for KF with OpenGL... Or Ubuntu in General (WITH or WITHOUT prop. drivers)

Edit: They dropped support for some Radeon HD series, and mine was one of them... That's a shame.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
first of all thank you for considering about releasing KF on linux it really shows that you're serious about linux platform

for those who dont know you can use steam beta right now clicky (hope i'm not breaking any rules now)

game runs smoothly i just noticed a bit of a lag when the trader wants to say something.. like shop is open/closed and some textures on pipes are missing so the pipes are white but it doesn't matter its a very good port for a start

again thank you and keep up the good work

greetings

Upvote 0
Looks to run fine on Linux. I only tried on Mountain Pass but whenever the fire from crash gets anywhere near being rendered on my screen my frame rate takes a dump. I'm using the NVIDIA 310.14 driver; I'm guessing that driver still needs work.

I gots no EAX effects in muh OpenAL! I wouldn't be surprised if the Linux X-Fi driver was lacking in features.

Upvote 0
Hi,
You guys did an fantastic Job on porting KF! Even with my underwhelming integrated graphics Card (HD3000) the game runs smoothly!

There's only one issue I have found: after a map is over, my Perk XP are resetted and the XP gained while playing under Linux is lost.
I have to confess though that I snuck in the Steam Beta and I am not a officially selected Beta Tester, so maybe thats why the Server are rejecting my gained XP.

Upvote 0
Thank you for bringing this to linux.

I just bought this game a few weeks ago and have been fiddling around with wine. That was a bit disappointing, because something in my system seems to make it crash, randomly but reliable. Its really stressful for the team when a lot of money and some costly weapons are lost in round 9.

With the Linux version I don't crash any more and am actually useful for the team. :D Framerates are ok and the whole thing is overall doing well so far. However I noticed some small issues, some of which have already been mentioned here, so I can confirm them.

- At the end of each round, when the trader closes her shop, there's a small framerate drop. It may be when the game loads the soundfile or the door closing. It just stops for a second and then continues. It's not a big deal, but noticeable and reproducible. It's probably the door, because I can not remember noticing such framerate drops during a wave (or if there were framerate drops, I'm unable to definitely correlate the hiccup with the trader).

- Sometimes when tabbing out of the window (playing in windowed mode) the mouse does not get caught correctly in the game window and behaves erratically. It suddenly resets the view to pointing at the ceiling or randomly rotates the view. It looks like "dancing" to other players. ;) Tabbing out and back in again sometimes fixes this issue. Actually clicking on the window when going back to the game might help (as opposed to not clicking and just alt+tabbing).

- I can also confirm, that perks are not leveling. Kills and damage are being counted during the match, but when the map changes they are reset. So the perks will not level at all.

Thank you again for porting KF. Let me know if I can provide you with more specific details on these issues.

Upvote 0
XP are now saved under Linux! Thanks Tripwire! :)

Edit: another thing i found: I can't alt-tab out of the game, be it in windowed or fullscreen mode. I'm using Cinnamon (a modified Gnome 3 from the Mint devs i believe) as DE atm; i will try it out with awesome and Gnome3 next.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just wanted to say thanks!

Just wanted to say thanks!

I just installed the Steam beta and installed Killing Floor.

I use a Gentoo GNU/Linux OS with Core I7-3770 and AMD 7970 video card with AMD's proprietary 12.11 beta driver.

Needless to say, I was terrified the AMD driver would make my experience blow. It was quite the contrary, the game plays at a butter smooth framerate with no noticeable anomalies with all features cranked as high as they'll go.

The only issue I have is that the game doesn't actually launch from the Steam Beta client (exits immediately.) I have to go to the steamapps folder and execute ./killingfloor-bin . I'm well aware of the beta status, so this is by no means a valid complaint.

Thanks for supporting our community!

Upvote 0
Edit: another thing i found: I can't alt-tab out of the game, be it in windowed or fullscreen mode. I'm using Cinnamon (a modified Gnome 3 from the Mint devs i believe) as DE atm; i will try it out with awesome and Gnome3 next.
It doesn't work with GNOME 3 either. But if you activate the Steam Community Overlay (Shift + Tab) then you can tab out.

Upvote 0
Killing Floor: Now with more AWESOME.

Killing Floor: Now with more AWESOME.

I know you KF devs have already heard it, but just let me add my opinion to the tide: Thank-you!

KF is already one of my favorite games--in large part due to the continued support, additions (mostly free), and community--years after release. 'Course, it's utterly addictive, too. Supporting Linux so early-on only makes this game (and its developers) that much more cool--and will surely result in a tide of fresh "dosh" being added to your pockets by starved Linux gamers.

This is one of about two games from my library of 100+ that I was really worried about not being able to play on Linux--and before I can even use the beta client (due to the beta selection process that's still ongoing), KF is ready to go.

You rock!

--Dane (A.K.A. "Penguin Pants")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This rocks!

This rocks!

I just installed steam, bought killing floor and played it for a few hours :D

It works really well, but there are some issues and not all are gfx related.
Is there a proper bugtracker for this? I can only see the windows and mac support subforum, none for linux. Or should I just report everything in "The Bug Report"?

Upvote 0