• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor Gold Box - and female character!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What were the other figures quoted? 2.5 million dlc packs sold? wouldn't it be better for them to sell keys for the new dlc that we can use on Steam? for the amount of current owners of KF who have been screaming for this since day dot, it would be suicidal not to cash in on it and have guaranteed sales at say $3 than very few sales at a ridiculous price?

I'd imagine given time they might decide to sell the female character as DLC, since as you say it's a veritable goldmine.

Upvote 0
I'd imagine given time they might decide to sell the female character as DLC, since as you say it's a veritable goldmine.

Customers who bought the boxed version would go crazy because they would have been lied to. I don't think that TWI can push their luck on this one. Especially with what's going on in the RO2 forums.

Do yourself a favor a release it as a DLC (even though it's prolly too late). Also, isn't this a way to twist with the game statistics? I mean, you guys kept saying that you sold over 1M copies for the last two months and now you want people to buy KF again...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, not really too happy about this.
Having to buy the whole thing all over again just to get spare copies, which quite frankly and with no offence intended to TWI, aren't worth biscuits, is pretty outrageous.
You guys obviously have no idea how much time, money and effort goes into making the huge FREE updates that have been given away for KF throughout the years.
Isn't that what I was buying the skins for?

Almost everyone who was interested in the game has it already, I have asked all my friends about it. The trading value is very low and isn't really a good enough excuse.
Although the deal is sealed I can't say how disappointed I am in this decision, and I'm afraid I won't be buying this nor will I be mentioning it to others; after all, what if another new edition with all the new content plus some exclusive extras comes out again? I wouldn't want to inflict that disappointment on other people.

I wish TWI the best of luck in the future.

Edit: I feel I should expand on my reasoning somewhat further.

Some are drawing parallels with this case and the exclusive character that came with 'The Ball'. I personally was perfectly fine with this, 'The Ball' was a separate game and the character was an added bonus: whether you bought it for the game or just for the character, everything in the 'package' was new. (Incidentally I did not buy The Ball, I didn't think I would enjoy it.)

In this case however, we've been given an exclusive new character that comes with something many people already have: the full game and all its associated DLC. As mentioned already, for new players this is an amazing bargain, but for current players...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Frist off, now that they have both figured out how to add a female character and went through the trouble for a voice it is likely that that can do it again. SO while you may not be getting ash, there maybe be others for you to play as. I am not really a fan of the way this is done, but I see the logic involved. Iceberg where the ones who helped to make it possible so the gold edition sold through them is how you get it. Tough but still fair in the end.

Also the sell of a gold edition was not likely to go over well here since, as pointed out, everyone has the game. Gold edition are more appealing to new people coming to the game since you have all the DLCs packed on with the game. Tripwire letting you gift unneeded stuff is also reasonable for them(though not very useful for me, and others). Not only can you avoid not losing everything. Although I do not personally see it being that big of a deal, it is them trying at least.

All I can say is, Trip get on another female for us. Maybe an event reward or something :)(then again there does seem to be something...distasteful about the idea of being awarded with a women...maybe just me).

Reactions: Spicy
Upvote 0
I gotta say, not a big fan of this decision either. While the idea of spicing the game up with the first ever female character appeals to me greatly, having to actually buy a boxed copy of the game at full price for it... Not that great. And I can definitely understand why so many people are pissed off by this.
Oh sure, extra copies of the game is all fine and good. Let's keep in mind here, however, that KF complete edition has been made available on Steam for the modest sum of 7.50

Upvote 0
I feel I owe the people of Tripwire an apology for coming down on them in an earlier post. I was under the impression that without having purchased the Gold Box, existing KF players would not be able to utilize either the new female skin, nor any future female skins. Seeing that the exclusivity only applies to this first skin, and not others that may be released, I apologize for stating such strong disapproval. I still don't plan on getting the Gold Box for a single player skin, but seeing that it's been made by a third party I understand why it's being done this way.

As a side note, in addition to making brand new female characters, have you guys considered making female counterparts for some of the more popular male characters in use? Might be fun.

Upvote 0
Yeah, not really too happy about this.
Having to buy the whole thing all over again just to get spare copies, which quite frankly and with no offence intended to TWI, aren't worth biscuits, is pretty outrageous.
Isn't that what I was buying the skins for?

Almost everyone who was interested in the game has it already, I have asked all my friends about it. The trading value is very low and isn't really a good enough excuse.
Although the deal is sealed I can't say how disappointed I am in this decision, and I'm afraid I won't be buying this nor will I be mentioning it to others; after all, what if another new edition with all the new content plus some exclusive extras comes out again? I wouldn't want to inflict that disappointment on other people.

I wish TWI the best of luck in the future.

Edit: I feel I should expand on my reasoning somewhat further.

Some are drawing parallels with this case and the exclusive character that came with 'The Ball'. I personally was perfectly fine with this, 'The Ball' was a separate game and the character was an added bonus: whether you bought it for the game or just for the character, everything in the 'package' was new. (Incidentally I did not buy The Ball, I didn't think I would enjoy it.)

In this case however, we've been given an exclusive new character that comes with something many people already have: the full game and all its associated DLC. As mentioned already, for new players this is an amazing bargain, but for current players...

Upvote 0
Presale up on the webstore for $29.99

It seems a bit stiff, however the reasons below may get me to buy it :
- I got KF more than a year ago for a mere $5 and I feel bad about paying so little for such an amazing game
- I spent well over 875h on it...and still counting
- I am still in love with that game xD
- I bought many DLC's and KF copies for my friends when they got on sale, and a good number of them are hooked to the game now
- I have been eyeing getting a boxed copy for a while now
- I like that game enough to want to get my hands on all the contents possible xD

These reasons may only make sense to me and I understand some people can be frustrated about it not being available as a DLC.

note : I Really wish the webstore would offer some posters and art from the game !

note2 : with shipping that nears $40 , now that starts to get pricy xD If I could find other items I really like, and I don't, I would probably go for it :/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
is it that hard to swallow, people?
the box set is ten dollars..
screenshot2012041923352.png

that's half the price of the real game..
and a direct link for proof
<a href="http://www.ptxstore.com/tripwire/product_info.php?products_id=771&osCsid=51428619b414d63515cb5eaa4743c422" target="_blank">http://www.ptxstore.com/tripwire/pr...d=771&osCsid=51428619b414d63515cb5eaa4743c422
i'm pretty sure this is a slashed price offer. if you haven't bought all the dlc, this is your chance to get the rest and some for your friends/enemies!

$10 is the regular version, the gold edition is $30 http://www.ptxstore.com/tripwire/product_info.php?products_id=877

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As a woman, I'm certainly pleased to learn that whatever had to be "figured out" (?) regarding the challenge of bringing a female character into the game has been accomplished. While I'm definitely in favor of this addition, I certainly wasn't letting the need to use a male character keep me awake at night, or from playing, and enjoying, the game. But, this is good news. And, it is appreciated. I'm intrigued by this:

...We had to do some juggling on memory for low-end machines: the extra voice pack would probably bust the min spec, so we have set it up (for low-end machines) so that it will only use one male and one female voice pack. Higher spec machines can still cope with 2 male and one female voice pack. With Iceberg having paid for this to happen, we are probably also now able to do additional voice-packs in the future. Hadn't really thought of that :)

Anyone willing to give some "semi-official, please don't quote me" parameters for what constitutes a "low-end" and "higher spec" KF platform?

Regarding Ash Harding: What is the back-story associated with this character? What (military?) unit is she associated with? No offense intended towards Iceberg Interactive, but she seems to be a bit more towards the "fantasy" end of the spectrum than most other KF playable characters. Is there any in-game video of this character available for viewing?

Regarding the Killing Floor Gold Box: I've already purchased the game five times so as to have enough accounts available for people who might not own the game to use on the household LAN. I've never felt inclined to purchase any of the DLC packs. I suppose my thoughts about that were along the lines of, if I was using a character that already didn't represent my gender, what would be the purpose of adding more? (It strikes me as being a bit tragic that, among the key targets for this Gold Box edition, namely, girls and women, both represent a group that may well have little interest in the included DLC.) If TWI assures us that there will be playable female characters in the future, I'm willing to take them at their word. As a result, I'll probably pass on this Gold Box edition.

Assuming TWI releases a future DLC set of four female characters, perhaps it might consider providing them as free content to those who purchase the KF Gold Box? (Perhaps not...) Anyway, that might provide just enough "added value" to tip the scales towards people purchasing the boxed version.

Upvote 0
I'll be honest, masturbation is never as good as the real thing.
That is one of the weirdest explainations i've ever heard and still think that it's right.

Would you please add all other promo characters in Gold Edition? Gold is supposed to be most complete edition, right?
I have OCD strikes every time i see this:

J9cCw.jpg
You missed out sorry, don't expect it.

Upvote 0
@Rhenna, for low end spectrum I'd imagine something around the lines of what my PC is. Mine's pretty old, about ten years and counting dell dimension 2400. 1GB ram, integrated graphics rated at 64MBs, no vertex / pixel shading or Hardware T&L, Single core P4 with 2.66 GHz. I can play KF on all minimum settings with about~ 10 to 20 FPS most o fhte time, some maps get me about high 30s if I'm lucky.

INB4 people tell me to go get a new PC.

Upvote 0
first of all i think that it's a good thing the female character problem has been solved. future dlcs as well as the cast of characters in the game sure get more variety that way. the release of the first female character as exclusive content for buyers of the gold box however sure isn't the smartest move.

mostly because to people who already own the game with all conent the box doesn't offer anything exciting aside from that one figure. which is even optional. if there was a t-shirt, fleshpound condom, artwork poster or anything freaky in the box, it would be a whole different matter.

i preordered the ball game mostly because i really liked and still like the indiana jones wannabe that came with it. i'm not even half excited about ash so i'll sure not be among the people who buy the gold box. but since she is an exclusive character, people who do want to have her have to make the effort of buying the thing, not begging for it to appear as dlc
cause that's not what exclusive means.

twi could have done a lot better on the content of the gold box and i'll rather wait if the next character pack is for me than spend money on stuff that is 99 % old news. that said the present uproar for just one figure is a bit much tho. nobody's forcing people to buy it, so ...

Upvote 0
Rhenna said:
Anyone willing to give some "semi-official, please don't quote me" parameters for what constitutes a "low-end" and "higher spec" KF platform?

The boxed version says something like this:
- 1.2 GHz Intel Processor or equivalent AMD
- 512 MB Ram with 1 GB recommended
- 64 MB graphics card with Direct X support
- DirectX compatible SoundCard

Upvote 0
Update on all this for you... we've been discussing this with Iceberg, who have been discussing with the retailers and so on... we definitely underestimated the demand from the existing player base. Another lesson learned.

We can't square all the details away with retailers over a weekend, obviously, but Iceberg are talking to them about "exclusivity" and we'll try and bottom it out on Monday. Iceberg's view, like ours, was that this was aimed at attracting some new players through retail. But now looks like we'll set it up so existing players CAN get Ash in a couple of months - the retailers will take it out big time on Iceberg if they don't get something exclusive out of it. But Iceberg are good guys - they are willing to let us turn this into future DLC.

In the meantime, the Gold Edition IS still good value for anyone buying the full set, or for anyone who can trade/gift away the spare parts. It will also be the only way to get the first female character and voicepack for a couple of months.

Yoshi or I will update as we dot all the "i"s and cross all the "t"s next week. Just that this, directly or otherwise involves Iceberg, us, printers, distributors AND retailers - all of whom have their expectations. Not to mention Steam.

Reactions: borsdy
Upvote 0
You awesome guys you

How about, wait until you have a female DLC pack ready and then create a new achievement, that if you kill so many (put spec here) using one of the female DLC characters, that you get the Ash character? instead of making it simple for everyone to obtain it?

At least then, Iceberg will still keep exclusivity, plus you guys will also have guaranteed sales of the DLC pack when it's released.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.