• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map Beta - KF-OrmanManor

IrritAnt

Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2009
The manor house, once the home of the proud owner of a thriving dairy farm, now deserted and derelict for forty-odd years, a magnet for the escaped specimens.

The containment team has moved in and set up a perimeter...

...but just who is hunter and who is prey?

http://files.filefront.com/13831556http://files.filefront.com/13831556
Here's a beta for my second Killing Floor map.

ormanmanorshot00001.jpg

ormanmanorshot00002.jpg

It's an old, deserted manor house, two storeys plus cellar.

All feedback greatly appreciated. You can e-mail me at [email protected]

Last edited:
From the brushes I checked the construction looks clean which is good considering how many rooms and levels you've applied. The perimeter is quite limited which keeps a lot of gameplay inside (in where you'll get lost until you've learned some landmarks). Overall, it has the feel of a derelict building and its repetitive look will give you a constant sense of deja vu.

Add some ForcedPaths from the JumpSpot to the path nodes below the broken handrail and the Zombies will do their leaps.

pwbtftznbh.jpg

zecgskyesi.jpg

Upvote 0
From the brushes I checked the construction looks clean which is good considering how many rooms and levels you've applied. The perimeter is quite limited which keeps a lot of gameplay inside (in where you'll get lost until you've learned some landmarks). Overall, it has the feel of a derelict building and its repetitive look will give you a constant sense of deja vu.

Add some ForcedPaths from the JumpSpot to the path nodes below the broken handrail and the Zombies will do their leaps.

Thanks for the feedback, that's great. So you reckon some more landmarks outside would help navigation?

I must admit even I get lost a bit down in the cellar. Maybe I need to add some more lighting options to guide the player...

Fair comment on the repetitive look. Wish I had more textures to work with :p

EDIT: Actually on reflection a lot of the cellar area is not very interesting. I think I may cull some of it - it'll make navigation easier too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey nice map I really like some of the static meshes and textures including the paintings. I wonder if I could use some of these things in a map I plan to make? Particularly interested in the piano, paintings, barrels. Never done level editing before so not sure if its one of those things where you need people's permission? If I do need permission and I have to get it from somewhere else (if you aren't the creator of the meshes and textures), where?

I also saw the blue light in the basement. At first I thought it was coming out of a lantern and thought it was really cool/intended, then it went away suddenly and came back in another room, and I had doubts... I've only just started practising level editing so I'm not sure. Check any ZoneInfo actors you have lying about.

The only other criticism I have is that I couldn't find any weapons or ammo. I joined at wave 5 on normal and for the 2 waves I played, both times I died because I ended up trying to take out the last 50 specimens with a knife. I think a map should be mid-game-joiner friendly. If I simply wasn't looking hard enough and the weapons are there, then no worries.

Upvote 0
Hey nice map I really like some of the static meshes and textures including the paintings. I wonder if I could use some of these things in a map I plan to make? Particularly interested in the piano, paintings, barrels. Never done level editing before so not sure if its one of those things where you need people's permission? If I do need permission and I have to get it from somewhere else (if you aren't the creator of the meshes and textures), where?
The only other criticism I have is that I couldn't find any weapons or ammo. I joined at wave 5 on normal and for the 2 waves I played, both times I died because I ended up trying to take out the last 50 specimens with a knife. I think a map should be mid-game-joiner friendly. If I simply wasn't looking hard enough and the weapons are there, then no worries.

Almost all of the meshes I'm using are standard ones that come with the game. You may need to hunt around in the various packages to find them.

The only non-standard ones are the empty window frames, I think. The rest is all vanilla KF stuff. No custom textures except for the level preview screenshots and the terrain alphas.

Interesting comment about the weapons. There's 8 random weapon spawns and 6 ammo spawns. Maybe that's not quite enough for a map this size...

Thanks for the comments.

Upvote 0
Well ahem yes I found the piano eventually, it seems a lot of SMs are included from Red Orchestra, I haven't played that game but it doesn't take a genius to figure out they included the objects there for us because they have the rights to them. And notice how they took out all the Unreal2004 ones, if I'm not mistaken.

Anywho, that isn't a LOT of items for a map that size, but you can be unconventional if you want. Why not, its your design. Just that I didn't find any of them in the few minutes I played the map. Again, maybe wasn't looking hard enough, maybe someone can confirm if the items are correctly spawning?

Upvote 0
I've just released the FINAL version of this map with some substantial changes, some cosmetic, some changing the gameplay. Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback, it was very useful.

You can get the file here;
http://files.filefront.com/13888854

KF-OrmanManor
FINAL version

by Andrew "IrritAnt" Orman
[email protected]
http://hosted.filefront.com/IrritAnt01

Unzip this archive into your killingfloor directory with subfolders turned on. It should then automatically place the map into the Maps directory, and the two music files into the Music directory.

Changes from Beta 01
- Adjusted the position of the ammo drops so they don't appear to clip through the objects they're sitting on.
- Added some more detail to help with navigation outside the house.
- Changed half of the KFRandomAmmoSpawns to KFAmmoPickups.
- Fixed some minor texture misalignments.
- Moved a wooden beam jutting out into a corridor on the upper level.
- Moved the kitchen table to be directly underneath the hole from the room above.
- Removed several rooms from the cellar and reduced the size of another two. Minor static mesh and pathnode changes to match.
- Changed the room in the cellar that had a deeper floor than the others to be at the same height. The water volume was causing strange visual effects for the player, and the specimens couldn't navigate through chest-high water.
- Added location names to most of the zones.
- Added two brand new music tracks by jilljill - http://web.me.com/jill.jill/jilljill_Official_Website/Start.htmlhttp://web.me.com/jill.jill/jilljill_Official_Website/Start.html - Thanks Jill! They're excellent!
- Added blocking volume at the top of the curved staircase, and added some proscribed paths to make the specimens behave themselves.
- More proscribed paths and static mesh changes in the kitchen and upstairs area.
- Added level summary preview textures.
- Fixed staircase collision for karma ragdolls.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Upvote 0