• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Map request - kind of

ElvenRed

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2011
So today, after playing with someone who had just bought the game and kept dying, I and a few other guys playing on the server commented how this game lacks a tutorial type level for the newcomers.

Sure, you can learn most of this game by just playing it, there's solo play to start getting the hang of it, and there are some written guides to help. But some people might get discouraged from the initial failing until they get the hang of it, and those could get a help from an in-game guide.

With that in mind, I searched around the workshop and the forums, and found nothing of the like, so I come to this forum.
This is not exactly a map request, rather an idea I'm leaving for anyone who would like to adopt it.

A tutorial map, focused on getting a lost newbie up to speed with all the information he needs to know to enjoy the game. It doesn't matter if it only goes as far as introducing him to the user interface and general game rules, or if it teaches him specifics on the classes and their roles, or even if it goes as far as teaching individual weapons and advanced combos. It would be ideal if it at least went up to class roles, as that is one important information most newbies seem to miss.
The guy I played with was completely lost, he didn't know how to heal, he didn't know how to buy guns, and when he got to get the trader menu going, he got overwhelmed by the UI.

With one such map available on the workshop, there would be somewhere to point such newcomers to, since Killing Floor doesn't have much of a help thing for newcomers, it just drops you right into gameplay and you handle it yourself.

Thanks

I understand what you are saying. I do not think it is necessary. When you first play there are many hints that pop up during play to give new players information about how things work. The best tutorial someone can use is to play beginner and not run away from your team, that's it. Anything someone wants to gain deeper knowledge of can be found using Google. I don't really know what a tutorial map will give someone that playing beginner with hints on doesn't already provide.

I think that if a new player does poorly and gives up on the game that it's not the right game type for them. It may sound like there isn't much thought behind that statement, on the contrary though, if someone likes a game, they will keep trying despite getting killed. If they don't have the patience I think it's evident that the game isn't right for them. There are simply a lot of little details that a player has to learn through trial and error. The information cannot be beamed into their head like the Matrix.

Also, the editor would be fairly horrendous to script out a tutorial map that would be of any value since most of it is based on teamwork. Programming teammates into a tutorial map to help a player learn would take...about 500 hours or more given the current mutator AI available currently.

Upvote 0