• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Forest sequel

Murphy

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
liandri.darkbb.com
I had the idea of making a level that conveys the sense of being lost in the woods.

None of this is final. Not sure if I'm even going to finish this at all but here is a first glimpse at what I have so far and what size I want:
Spoiler!

The map is 131072 x 131072. The playable area is going to be a little smaller, of course.

Last edited:
Secondary concern for me, to be honest, lol.:eek:
But I'm going to use pretty much the same system as in KF-Forest. Spawning ZEDs from bushes. Brings them fairly close and despite the openness KF-Forest is much faster paced than, say, MountainPass.

That should more or less cover me for the forest areas and smaller meadows. The long valley is going to be split in two by a river in the middle - with bushes and trees on the side which also provide ample opportunity to get ZEDs in close.

In the end it's obviously going to be possible to kite a clot with you at the end of every round to make it to the trader and then spread out along the valley again and get some long-range hits in but I think all in all it's going to be fine. Fun enough for players looking for a slightly different experience anyway.:)

EDIT: So.. no one's going to question how there can be a couple of thousand trees on the screen when the engine doesn't have a LOD system for StaticMeshes? :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The number of trees on the screen at once should break the game.
If you look close, however, you'll see that any tree (or bigger bush) that's farther than a couple of meters away is just a 2d cardboard construction that only fills out to a full tree/bush when players get close. Not very noticeable in screenshots, but ingame they fade in.
The same is going to be true for any building or landmark I'm going to add at some point. E.g. the bridge in one of the screenshots. Only the bare minimum that is necessary to make the scene look like a rich and full landscape is going to be visible form afar. Details will only fade (or pop) in at close distances. :)

Upvote 0
do what?

do what?

The number of trees on the screen at once should break the game.
If you look close, however, you'll see that any tree (or bigger bush) that's farther than a couple of meters away is just a 2d cardboard construction that only fills out to a full tree/bush when players get close. Not very noticeable in screenshots, but ingame they fade in.
The same is going to be true for any building or landmark I'm going to add at some point. E.g. the bridge in one of the screenshots. Only the bare minimum that is necessary to make the scene look like a rich and full landscape is going to be visible form afar. Details will only fade (or pop) in at close distances. :)

I'm not exactly sure how you are going to accomplish this, or even how good it will look in action, but the screenshots so far look amazing. Awesome work you got done so far Murphy!

Upvote 0
uhhhhh...

uhhhhh...

I'm not sure I completely comprehend what I saw in your tech demo video. The map looked large and resplendent while various objects had pop-ins a short distance away.

I think I understand what is trying to be accomplished and wondered if the option of moving the "curtain" further away from the player was viable. If the pop-ins were further away, they would be less noticeable and help with the submersion effect.

Other than that, I'm enticed at what I've seen and look forward to more updates on the project's progress.

Upvote 0