• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design JumpPoint tips for zeds

DolphinBuffMan

Aug 3, 2014
Australia
I am trying to use Jump Points so that the zeds will spawn happily at a point above the players, and then jump down to certain points.

I am really unsure of how to use these; I have checked other maps (West London and Manor for example) but have not been able to decipher what is actually acting as a target for the zeds from the JumpPoint.

Could anyone either explain to me how I can successfully create A JumpPoint and a target, or point me to a tutorial (I have looked for them but sadly the "advanced" features aren't well documented).

I am currently just using PathNode's that the zeds try and jump to from higher up, but they seem to be a bit clumsy with the jumps and end up falling over the edge of the walkway I am trying to make them land on...

Ah, my apologies. It appears I am using a JumpSpot. I remember the JumpPad's from Unreal Tournament, and believe that the way that the zeds would be launched with them is not quite the look I am going for, so I opted for the JumpSpot as I saw it being used on the bridge in West London, and on the hill in Manor.
I think JumpSpots work so that, if a NavigationPoint is of a lower elevation in comparison to the JumpSpot, it will say that the path from the JumpSpot to the NavigationPoint will require a jump at some point in time.

That's really all I could tell from using it.

Upvote 0
JumpSpots mark the destination for jumps. They have some extra options that let the AI know to use special jumps, if needed, such as double jumps in UT2kx.

After you rebuild paths pathnodes should automatically connect to them where it's sensible.
If not, look at the Name of the JumpSpot (NOT the tag!! The name!! Should be something like JumpSpot0 or JumpSpot17) and enter that into the ForcedPath field of the PathNode.
Doesn't mean the AI is going to be forced to take that path, it just means the game is forced to recognize this as a valid path.

Upvote 0