• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Survival Endless

Marco

Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2009
Finland
Name
Killing Floor Survival endless​

Version
Beta 3​

Description
This is a mod where you can challenge yourself to see how long you can survive fierce specimen invasion. The game starts with easy waves as it progressively adds in harder specimen and reduces the number of easier specimen. The mod also doesn't require you to kill all specimen to end the wave (the waves are also timed), so the new wave may start before you killed off all zeds from previous wave.

New features since beta 2:
- You can chose one of following game styles:
Classic - Plays the waves like normal KF, must kill all zeds before trader time begins etc.
Timed waves - Works like the beta 1 survival, waves are timed so you don't have to kill all zeds to end wave.
Continuous waves - Works slightly like Specimentation mod, when wave ends the zeds don't stop spawning and all players has to get into trader room within a time limit (or get left outside with the zeds), first then trader doors close to leave you protected.
Hardcore game - A modified version of 'timed waves', zeds keep spawning during trader time so you have to cover each other while in trader.
- You can set multiple bosses spawn, as-well as per player multiplier for number of bosses which works like this:
BossCount + floor( BossesPerPlayer X (Num players - 1) ); so if you have BossCount=1 and BossesPerPlayer=0.45 and you have 6 players: 1+floor(0.45*(6-1)) = 3 bosses.
- If you have bTrackStats enabled, scoreboard will show leader board and ranking (to view leader board you must hold down walk key).

You can alter most of the settings from KFSurvival.ini:​
Spoiler!

Note that the game difficulty value still controls how though the specimen are. You can use "SetWave XXX" (i.e: SetWave 24) cheat command to change to specific wave for testing your settings (or "Admin SetWave XXX" on dedicated servers), however this will disable stats saving for rest of the map.​
Screenshot
To come later.​
Credits
XJ5 for beta testing this.
Popcap games for 2 sound effects.​
Download
To do
  • Add an in-game admin menu where you can configure the specimen classes.
  • Balance it (default settings)?

You start this mod by selecting game mode KF Survival Endless and any KF map (or ?Game=KFSurvival.KFSurvival in startup URL on servers).
Also this mod is perfectly compatible with my serverperks mutator (which you may want to use if you want perks).

Last edited:
So is this like WPC RPG mod without the RPG settings?

I was hoping someone would code a survival mode like Specimentation without dead players respawning as zeds... where after x time per wave, everyone (alive) huffs over to the trader, trader closes only when all live players come in or until the last few players outside are dead and at least 1 live player made it to the trader, dead guys respawn in the trader (so long as there is 1 live player still left), and after 60 or y seconds, everyone is kicked back out to fight/survive... that would be the only break since open traders would be random and you have battle your way there...

If there would still be any live players left outside, the trader stays opened so it is imperative everyone attempts to sticks and work together... zeds can go into trader so long as 1 live player is still outside running around.

Repeat for Z rounds of configurable time... if it is just survival over N waves with no ability to buy ammo, game is over very fast.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The mod also doesn't require you to kill all specimen to end the wave (the waves are also timed), so the new wave may start before you killed off all zeds from previous wave.

Implies there is still trader time.

It's nice to see you are still making things Marco, even if this isn't my thing as I prefer quicker short skirmishes as opposed to a protracted battle.

How does it handle players joining mid game?

Upvote 0
It is like normal KF but without the "final wave" so the game never ends.

I played this mod for about 3 hours, HARD with your bot, serverperks 6 and some addon monster mutators, on various maps so here is some feedback:

Spoiler!

Improvements:

Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May I just suggest you add some spoiler tags to that valken? Some of these longer posts could use it when you have to scroll past it all to get to the next post.

As for the game mode getting boring, I think you can't complain about that if your going to use a lvl 20 perk, to me that would take the fun out of surviving on SKILL.

However, i would love to be able to use brutes/shivers/other WPC zeds at least - they've released some nifty people in the workshop that really could twist the way the waves feel.

Upvote 0
However, i would love to be able to use brutes/shivers/other WPC zeds at least - they've released some nifty people in the workshop that really could twist the way the waves feel.

Looks like you can by editing this part
Monsters=(MonsterClass="XXX",Difficulty=X,EndDifficulty=X, Count=X,bSuperMonster=X)
- Monster classes list;

Upvote 0
As for the game mode getting boring, I think you can't complain about that if your going to use a lvl 20 perk, to me that would take the fun out of surviving on SKILL.

The gamemode disables perks so I tested it with ServerPerks at Level 6 and Level 20 to simulate a whitelisted server and a non-whitelisted server.

At level 6 capped with only 6 players, it is tougher as the game just adds midround boss mod and infinite rounds.

At over level 6 with more than 6 plus players, it can become tedious just like the RPG mod to me.

The mod does allow you to add custom monsters through the ini file as I've stated.

It is best if you run some tests to figure if you like the game as I've stated above. Mid round boss mod exists already and the game can end by successfully surviving up to 10 rounds. With this mod, you can only exit the game when the team is dead. Good for masochists.

Upvote 0
Isn't the basic mechanics (in terms of the waves and monsters' levels) of this gamemode same as the RPG? Also, would this be compatible with ServerPerks?

In Marco's OP

Also this mod is perfectly compatible with my serverperks mutator (which you may want to use if you want perks).

Upvote 0
Well WPC now has this running on our classic server with modded zeds. And it's fun, nice and brainless.

I think it might be worth tweaking the waves to ebb and flow a little bit more. Right now it still feels like you have normal trader time, I only had to kill off the odd zed during trader time.

Other wise mate, nice work.

207.237.69.11:7077

Upvote 0
Well WPC now has this running on our classic server with modded zeds. And it's fun, nice and brainless.

I think it might be worth tweaking the waves to ebb and flow a little bit more. Right now it still feels like you have normal trader time, I only had to kill off the odd zed during trader time.

Other wise mate, nice work.

207.237.69.11:7077
bueno.jpg

I'll be sure to check it out.

Upvote 0