• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[MIP] KF-Jurassic Park

Hemi

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 30, 2010
Killing Floor :: Jurassic Park Mod - YouTube

T-rex works, and is walking arround....Only problem is we will probably need big maps. Hence why im thinking of using it in combination with the vehicle mod of braindead and aramus. Maybe create 1 map with JP Jeeps.

I'm posting here to gather some of you thoughts on this, since the only mut we had with big zeds is the Doom 3 mutator. And they tend to get stuck, so I rather have a custom map (s) to support this gamemode.

I'm not too sure how to continue with this, if at all tbh. Hence why im acquiring some input from my fellow modders. :)

I allready have all the models in the SDK, and I coded a working T-Rex. He attacks, he roars..and is generally unpleasant. The only problem is, the maps of KF dont support large zeds that good. I used the models of JPOG (jurassic park : operation genesis) that were converted for UT2004. Ill make a screeny when I get home.

Upvote 0
Right, that could be a problem.... But the problem is not only that the T-Rex is too large for the original maps, another issue is that you can only use open-world maps without any buildings as the Navigation-System does not consider the scale of creatures.
I don't know if there is the opportunity to create special T-Rex PathNodes to avoid the T-Rex trying to enter buildings.

How do the dinosaurs spawn? Do they use the ZombieVolumes as well?
Because there is also a scale-check needed then.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This mod can only work like the vehicle mod does. Big wide-open maps. I intend to also create Dino's that are non-attacking, like the brachiosaurus. I allready have code that makes the zeds move about during tradertime and stuff. The t-rex will prob go mid-boss and the Spino will go patty.

These are the ones :

dinopre01.jpg

shaun goeppinger allready made them for UT2004. Now Im converting them with Hres textures, adjusting the animations and meshes.(so they dont look like poo ingame)

Reactions: TheMutant
Upvote 0
sounds ambitious, but awesome :) :cool:

Well...I don't think it will be too hard. Its mainly the maps that will be the problem. I don't want situations like a Cyberdemon beeing stuck in the policestation in west london. Or half his head is floating in structures. The maps need to be flat and with as little blocking volumes possible.

Players might want to hide from the t-rex offcourse, in those typical JP bunkers. Though they wont be safe for long, as I want Raptor spawns inside those..activated when players enter the buildings.

But mapping is really not my thing. So ill need lots of help when it comes to that.

I'd love to see how this turns out. I might make a start on the jeep for you. ^^

Go for it :) . If braindead and aramus help out we can even drive it haha. :D

Upvote 0
Hemi i'll say the usualy, im here if you want some help. Some ideas maybe that might be nice to see.

I personally don't like the idea of just shoving in some dinosaurs without a nice background or story to it for example your Dead Space mod fit so well as you have the characters and the specimen replacements. This fits exactly right in with the Dead Space feel as it all worked together.

There is two ways of doing this:
1.) Personally I think making it similar to how your Dead Space mod would work with the whole replacement and using waves to change how it is. You could have some custom characters that look like researchers and maybe have the odd weapon and perks to keep the classic style of Jurassic Park feel which is always important for a mod based on something specific like this.

2.) Make this story based. This would be a great way of getting a story based map done with instead of waves of specimens, waves of dinosaurs which could build up towards a boss or so (like the arcade games, you know?) the T-Rex. This doesn't exactly need the specific weapons or anything as you have the story, the background and the feel of the films (depending how far you would like to go with this).

I mean I think there is some thoughts that are needed to get this going to how exactly you want to build it but I like the idea of it. I didn't like any sort of dinosaur based things in UT2004 as they were really fake looking when it came to the animations or just how they were used in-game.

Any chance of maybe getting a rig of one of the dinosaurs to maybe play about with animating? It would be great experience for me as I have wanted to try making a specimen as I got some models found. It would be much easier getting something someone else is doing themself and maybe have a view from them (obviously this is only an idea) to see how I could do things. This could be a great learning curve for quite a few of us actually :p

P.S. I think it would be a great addition if a custom version of your WPC-Bunker map could be converted and opened up to allow the dinosaurs to be used. I would love to see the bridge used and able to use the other side of the map. Have a cave used to spawn where the dinosaurs come out of. Just an idea and helps keep the WPC feel in it ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1. This is Jurassic Park, Hemi style. So its safe to say im going all the way with it.

2. No stories. Never ever ever! Its jurassic park, you already know the story. This is about surviving in the park, and like hal said, maybe on a timer or something. Story maps take too long and get old after a few tries. And since we wont have the luxury of having tons of maps to choose from, I rather go with a fun quick gametype.

3. I am remodelling the old UT2004 models and re-animating them aswell. Creating new moves for every dino. Also the textures are going to be redone aswel. When im done you will not recognise the old UT2004 models.

Upvote 0