• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Concept/WIP] Alien Swarm UT24k mode for KF

thefirewarriors

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2009
UPDATES!

Alien Swarm 2K4 Marine Pack V1 released!

DOWNLOAD:
http://www.mediafire.com/?oabb728abs9yjn5

.U FILES FOR ALIEN SWARM MARINES
http://www.mediafire.com/?cxdmzodxd71nrra

IMPORTANT: Do not use these at the same time as the .upl files. I don't know what will happen but it sure won't be good.

Also, Crash's name is now IAF_Private_Crash instead of IAF_Private_Crash_Murphy. Easier to type.

CustomCharacters=IAF_Sergeant_Conrad
CustomCharacters=IAF_Corporal_Jaeger
CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Wolfe
CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Bastille
CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Crash
CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Flynn
CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Faith
CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Wildcat

CHARACTERS:
IAF_Marines2.jpg

TOP ROW FROM LEFT: Sergeant Conrad, Corporal Jaeger, Private Wildcat, Private Wolfe
BOTTOM ROW FROM LEFT: Private Faith, Private Bastille, Private Crash, Private Flynn

PORTRAITS (from Alien Swarm UT24K:)
Shot00102-1.jpg

SCREENSHOT:
Shot00113.jpg

HOW TO USE -2 METHODS-

I. CLIENT SIDE
The archive contains a folder with replacement .upl files.

Simply copy the .upl file with the name of the character you want replaced and paste it into your System folder. Then, simply use the character whose .upl was replaced and the new skin should show up instead.

Also, using this method means that these skins will be used by bots with Marco's KF Bots mutator.

II. SERVER SIDE
Use Marco's ServerPerks V5 or Flux's Custom Character Enabler (I personally go with ServerPerks)

1. Open ServerPerksV5.ini using Notepad (or whatever you use)
2. Copy and paste these lines at the bottom of the document

CustomCharacters=IAF_Sergeant_Conrad
CustomCharacters=IAF_Corporal_Jaeger
CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Wolfe
CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Bastille
CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Crash
CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Flynn
CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Faith
CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Wildcat

3. Run a server with ServerPerksV5 active
4. Choose the characters in the pre-game lobby
5. PLAY.

UPDATE

IAF 22A3-1 Assault Rifle Released!

DOWNLOAD V2 by Gartley:
http://www.mediafire.com/?x7erwlukfbd4fu2

Special thanks to Hemi and Braindead for letting me use their M41A Pulse Rifle mod as a base and Gartley for fixing the dependencies and shell emitters.

Shot00135.jpg

Shot00137.jpg

Shot00125.jpg

Includes weapon selection icons and trader icons.

To use, grab Marco's ServerPerks or the CustomTrader Mut and use this classname:

AlienSwarm2k4WeaponsMod.IAFARPickup

It should show up in the Trader then. Or you could use the included Mutator "IAF 22A3-1 AR Mutator" to spawn with it.

UPDATE

Alien Drone Zed Test Release!

DOWNLOAD

http://www.mediafire.com/?tqy5619zycvts5q

Faster and tougher clot-based Zeds for Alien Swarm fans!

Simply use the "Alien Swarm" mutator to spawn loadsa drones.

Shot00147.jpg

Any and all feedback would be appreciated!

Portraits, textures and helmet and Drone models by Black Cat Games.

ORIGINAL POST:
I did this because they look badass and I love powered armor in general (with some exceptions.) The marines in the Source release looked more like one-color LEGO men. xD

The UT24K version of Alien Swarm by Black Cat Games had the marines simply using the Juggernaut bodies from vanilla UT with modified textures. The Telic expansion included an option to use helmets.

Example:
profile.jpg

Been playing the mod a lot lately and I've found that it has a crapton of similarities to KF in terms of mechanics with a few exceptions like objective-based missions and such. Now, with the proliferation of mission/story maps, those exceptions are slowly decreasing.

Here are the most striking parallels:
1. Coop-based gameplay (Your team against the Swarm/Horde)
2. Character specializations (marine types, perks)
3. Welding (same purpose, different execution)
4. Extremely addictive (do not deny it!)

Now I am sort of interested in playing a game (or story map) of KF but with Alien Swarm characters and aliens as specimens, aesthetically speaking. If you can imagine an excellent mission map like Obsidian or Horzine Bunker and put it on a derelict spaceship while you and your guys are suited up in power armor... well, I think that speaks for itself.

*cough* SPACE HULK *cough*

Most of the things missing from KF I've already seen hanging around in the modding community. They're possible and can be executed properly for the first person shooter that is KF.

For the concept, the things that would still need to be done would be the following:

1. Ammo bag
2. Sentry Gun (code exists, just needs a proper model)
3. Weapons and equipment (assault rifles, autoguns, etc)
4. Aliens as specimens (Faster and more numerous than specimens, plus parasites and infestation)
5. Story Maps

I can probably do most of these myself, now that I can edit and import models with convenience. As for coding, I've been reading up on it a lot lately and I can ask for help here if I'm stumped. As for maps, well, I'm not a mapper. I can learn, but if you want to help, my thanks.

Anyway, just want to see what you guys think of the concept as well as root out any players of the UT24K mod.
Thanks to Black Cat Games for making the epic mod.

Last edited:
If you could make a seperate gametype for this, this would be a good idea. Other then that it will seem a little pointless. I hope you get a few maps going with the up top view to help get the feeling right.

Yes, a new gametype would be preferable but I was thinking more on keeping it an FPS for regular KF-style survival games and mission maps like Obsidian. Some of the changes would just be aesthetic (character skins) while others change gameplay (AS weapons and aliens.) other than that, KF would be unchanged.

I don't think it's pointless... :(

Oh btw, I haven't encountered this question before but can zeds be coded to walk on walls or ceilings? or is that limited to the mapmaking process?

Upvote 0
Awesome! would be a welcomed addition to the DS mod for instance and / or addon zeds... why not? I can see Horzine (or Umbrella) working with alien lifeforms for military/medical reason ****e happens and all heck breaks loose!

Make each alien a separate addon for testing, like the brute addon for instance; and same for the player models and guns.

Then when everything is working and balanced, release a gametype mod that will tie all the aliens, guns and models into a mod. Would be easy for you to get feedback.

I suggest working with the members here on this forum. You should play the DS mod from WPC to see how fantastic that gametype is on a FPS engine. Just need maps.

Oh yeh, port the AS maps as well!

And +1 for AS to be viewed from 1st/3rd view.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, the dead space servers were exactly why I want to do this. I plan to release stuff one at a time, characters first, then an alien drone for testing, and then weapons and equipment, then the rest of the aliens.

I'm saving most of the aliens for last because I think they'll be the hardest to get done.

EDIT: Got Sarge, Wolfe and Bastille in along with Jaeger. They have their own portraits and bios from the UT24k mod.

Vanity shot of Sarge on KF-Doom3 with Hemi's M41 Pulse Rifle:

Shot00105.jpg

Oh btw, while digging through the Alien Swarm .ukx files, I found a near-complete model of a Colonial Marine from Aliens. The only thing missing is the texture...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, the dead space servers were exactly why I want to do this. I plan to release stuff one at a time, characters first, then an alien drone for testing, and then weapons and equipment, then the rest of the aliens.

I'm saving most of the aliens for last because I think they'll be the hardest to get done.

EDIT: Got Sarge, Wolfe and Bastille in along with Jaeger. They have their own portraits and bios from the UT24k mod.

Vanity shot of Sarge on KF-Doom3 with Hemi's M41 Pulse Rifle:

Shot00105.jpg

Oh btw, while digging through the Alien Swarm .ukx files, I found a near-complete model of a Colonial Marine from Aliens. The only thing missing is the texture...

all ready made one :)

Upvote 0
You should TRY to get onto WPC's DS or any of their servers. The players there are total coop team players. I have a good connection but due to my location, I still have a high ping but team work helps out there.

Would be impressive to see some AS, Aliens and DS content on one server.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I tried already. It's not connection speed that's the problem, the problem is that the connection frequently gets interrupted which leads to frustration when I am still downloading and then gets disco'd.

Thanks anyway.

OP updated. :)

Btw, might it be possible to add a whirr-click powered-armor sound effect while running without overwriting the default footstep sounds?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe it's just because i'm Korean, but the marines immediately reminded me of Starcraft xD
Anyway, those models and textures look really good, but a bit blocky :eek:

Yeah, they do. I like them that way. xD

The models are from vanilla UT24k. Black Cat Games, the makers of the Alien Swarm mod, created the helmets. I simply ported them (plus copious amounts of cut and paste to get the textures to cooperate with Unreal Ed.)

UPDATE

Character pack released. Check OP for link.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In a bit of a willy here and I need a way out.

I'm currently trying to port the Assault Rifle from UT2003 because it is the same model as the one in Alien Swarm.

Shot00118.jpg
AR.jpg

The exporting went okay and I got it in-game but apparently the game thinks the weapon is the sleeves and the sleeves are the weapon. How do I fix this?

Shot00120.jpg

I'm using Maya btw. Can't do squat with 3dsmax. xD

It's named the M41A because I temporarily overwrote the .ukx for Hemi's M41A weapon in order to test it since the two weapons are similar to each other. That'll hopefully be changed when I finish it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In a bit of a willy here and I need a way out.

I'm currently trying to port the Assault Rifle from UT2003 because it is the same model as the one in Alien Swarm.

Shot00118.jpg
AR.jpg

The exporting went okay and I got it in-game but apparently the game thinks the weapon is the sleeves and the sleeves are the weapon. How do I fix this?

Shot00120.jpg

I'm using Maya btw. Can't do squat with 3dsmax. xD

It's named the M41A because I temporarily overwrote the .ukx for Hemi's M41A weapon in order to test it since the two weapons are similar to each other. That'll hopefully be changed when I finish it.

The gun has the same material ID number as the hands. No idea how to change that in Maya...cous...well...3ds max is superior lol ;) and I dont use anything else. (jk jk)

Ill do a test today and ill add the skins to the ds server, if they dont cause hickups ill let them stay on the server...otherwise Ill need to precache them in my deadspace gametype. :)

Upvote 0
Haha, that's the fifth time I heard that 3dsmax > Maya line this month.

Maybe I just prefer being frustrated, eh? xD

Thanks anyway.

Okay. I think I got the problem pinned down. When viewing the whole mesh in UnrealEd, material 0, which is supposed to be the weapon texture, is the sleeve texture rather than material 1. All I have to figure out is how does it define which material goes where and if there's anyway to fix it in Maya. xD

Upvote 0
Haha, that's the fifth time I heard that 3dsmax > Maya line this month.

Maybe I just prefer being frustrated, eh? xD

Thanks anyway.

Okay. I think I got the problem pinned down. When viewing the whole mesh in UnrealEd, material 0, which is supposed to be the weapon texture, is the sleeve texture rather than material 1. All I have to figure out is how does it define which material goes where and if there's anyway to fix it in Maya. xD

You can do this when you create the weapon package.

In the main weapon file, allocate the mesh that you are using and then for the textures:

skins(0)= will designate which texture is applied to material 0 on the model.

if your hand textures are material 1, then use the following line:

Sleevenum=1

This should then show your textures on the correct parts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0