• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[WIP] -Character Reskin- The Black and Not-So-Black Kit

thefirewarriors

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2009
Hey all. With braindead's SAS weapons/chars release, I dug into my old WIP folder and found some unfinished Black Kit skins I was working on. Finally figured out how to get rid of the camo on the soldiers without any loss of detail too. The only thing that stopped was the lack of propah SAS weps.

Until braindead, that is.

So without further ado, my second skinjob: SAS, Black and Not-So-Black Kit edition

NOTE: SCREENSHOTS OUTDATED

o8i1qf.jpg

DOWNLOAD LINK

Black Kit V3.1 http://www.mediafire.com/?bf1mlr222xwnwr0

V3.1
-Brightened the skins. Black kit shading was matched to BD's SAS characters while Blue version was matched to the default Police characters.
-Added a cloth-like texture to the uniform in order to differentiate it from the body armor and metal parts.
-Layered on some grime and wear n' tear for that "used" look.
-Added some noise and highlights to the helmet to make it look more Kevlar-y (is there even such a word???)
-Removed the kneepads.

V1.0
Added a sort of MOLLE straps to the back of the vest for a more different look from the default characters. Tried to add knee and elbow pads but failed hard. Helmet was done manually using a brush, dodge and burn, and smudge tools.

INSTALLATION:

Definitely requires Marco's Server Perks Mutator.
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=36065

Extract contents of .rar into your Killing Floor directory.

Comes with 4 premade .upls for use with Marco's ServerPerks Mut. Just enter their names into the custom characters field in the ServerPerksV5.ini.

Trooper_Sanderson (Black suit w/ helmet)
Trooper_McRory (Blue suit w/ helmet)
Sergeant_Garvi (Black suit w/o helmet)
Sergeant_O'Rourke (Blue suit w/o helmet)

PS. don't include the words in the parenthesis!!!

Still a WIP and I'll take any suggestions you have.

Black and blue sleeves are included. MIGHT require braindead's SAS character pack since I think I forgot to remove some Dismembered limbs classes or something...

No custom portraits yet. Also, I can't extract and edit char models if my life depended on it, if someone would provide me with a soldier model with Briar's balaclava'd head hacked on it, that'd be very nice.

Thanks to Half-Dead for the skinning guide and braindead for the SAS weaps!

UPDATE: Brightened the skins a bit because they turn into dark blobs in many maps. Kneepads were put back in. Hopefully, they'll look better this time.

UPDATE2: Darkened the Black scheme to avoid being boring. Added custom sleeves. Thanks to braindead for pointing me in the right direction and Benjamin's tutorials for generally kicking ***.

Last edited:
Hey man, love the skin and thanks for the appreciation, glad you like the SAS mod.

Here is how to use the SAS hands for your model, well it's just the classes I made for the wolf and solo characters, which should hopefully point you in the right direction,
Just remember, all of the base files are in the wolf package and the solo character depends on that one but you can rip out any files you want to use them as long as you rename anything you use.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Upvote 0
Aha, seems like I have a lot of reading to do. Thanks for the assist, braindead. :D

I'll report back if I manage something.

EDIT: huh, does this mean I have to make a separate .uc file for every spoiler box before I compile?

EDIT2: AHA! Simply editing the .upl files and switching their species to SAS_WolfMod.SAS_Species gives them the sleeves! Nice! Thanks again, braindead! I'll post it up sometime after I get the compiling thing done properly so the dudes with blue suits get blue sleeves. Might have to make a new species for that.

EDIT3: SUCCESS! OP updated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was testing both your OMON and SAS skins and do have comments that relate to both.

First, both sets look fairly good ingame. I like the details you have on both sets.

2nd, the SAS skins are way too dark for some reason compared to the standard TWI skins.

In fact, I tested your SAS skins against Braindead's Who Dare Wins SAS skins, and his skins look like it came from TWI. You can compare WDW against the police skins and the lighting, shading and coloring looks perfect.

If you can adjust at least the brightness and shading, I think it would be a better improvement. Or match it up color palette wise to the WDW skins if possible but keep your own details. The darkness hides a lot of the details.

Please update the portraits too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Valken: Again, thanks for the feedback. New link coming up.

List of changes:
-Brightened the skins. Black kit shading was matched to BD's SAS characters while Blue version was matched to the default Police characters.
-Added a cloth-like texture to the uniform in order to differentiate it from the body armor and metal parts.
-Layered on some grime and wear n' tear for that "used" look.
-Added some noise and highlights to the helmet to make it look more Kevlar-y (is there even such a word???)
-Removed the kneepads.

OP updated with new link. Try it and tell me what you think. :D

Upvote 0
Just tested these and they look the business now! Texture on the shirt is great, just like a classic woolly pulley.

I think the pants should be more like the standard police or BD's SAS. Most troopers would wear fire retardant type materials but the woolly sweater makes sense depending on climate.

Looks really good next to BD's SAS and HD's London Police!

Too bad the bots don't know how to use these skins!

Upvote 0