• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Mutator] Operation Dark Cell

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuNteR-

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2011
Up there, in the trees...
I've waited and waited and I aint waiting no more! I said the 4th, but its here early, this just in from Hunter at TSR Legacy Mods!

Original post

t1.jpg

n1.jpg

sn.jpg

All players of Killing Floor,
It is my honour, to bring you the final piece in my Killing Floor modifications portfolio,
Operation Dark Cell!

From the maker of The Rotting and KF Zombies comes the most wanted conversion mod for Killing Floor to date. Operation Dark Cell will provide the addition of various creatures from the hit game series Resident Evil.​

But it doesn't just stop at providing additional creatures, O.D.C is revolved around a huge mission map which is being custom made especially for this mod, this will be the first ever mission map to include none Killing Floor creatures.​

The map, which is also named Operation Dark Cell, has Resident Evil in mind, the map is not a copy of any Resident Evil game or map, it is an entirely new story written and designed for this mod and this mod alone, which means, in order to play the map, you require the O.D.C Resident Evil Mutator, it will not support the standard KF Zeds.​

Now if that wasn't enough, there is more, here the plot thickens, O.D.C will also ship with Resident Evil characters you can play as, but you don't get them all straight away, only two characters will be available from the start, these are Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine, both of which are in their classic RE1 costumes. To unlock the other characters, which are stored in passworded files, you must play the O.D.C mission map, and find the secret passwords that are located throughout the level, each password can be used to unlock a character file, you can then play as that character if you choose to, it is as simple as that.​

But it still doesn't end there, because this is my last KF project, I want to go out with a bang, so I'm introducing a tournament. The tournament will be played on the Killing Floor Map "SurvivalV2", the aim of the game, survive as long as you possibly can, you will be scored on your survival time.​

The top 6 players in the tournament will receive the opportunity to play Operation Dark Cell before anyone else, these 6 players will also be chosen to beta test the map, and yet the rewards don't end there, the 6 top players will also receive a special edition Resident Evil Character Pack to play with straight away!​

So Ladies and Gentlemen, there you have it, Operation Dark Cell, the final chapter in the Killing Floor modification saga.​

Details of the modification and tournament will be available shortly.
Thank you.​

To keep you entertained, here are some pictures of the Operation Dark Cell mission:​

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

The pictures show just how dark some areas will get, it also shows how small they are, just think about how difficult it will be to avoid a horde of the undead in such a small space... and that's not including the other beasts Resident Evil has to offer... think you can survive this horror?​

A few things there for you, I know The Rotting previously wanted to try the unlockable mod content, but never had a mapper to really make it work, well I learned how to map, better yet I learned how to mission map!​

So now its a reality, I'm not going to put a finish date on this thing, its something that will certainly not be rushed, I will keep everyone updated, but for now, there you have it.​

Hunter- :p

Last edited:
NO WAY!!! Man I hate how you have kept this before us until now! You really have gone all out and I really can not wait for this! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

You may have to tell me about your character thing so I can maybe take maybe how you have done it (depending on your information you're willing to say) so that it may help me with my custom characters project.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuNteR-
Upvote 0
Wow. Are you going to include custom weapons or anything? My biggest question is how weapon management is going to work

Yes, there will be custom weapons, those you would find in the early RE Games. Weapon management, you start off with what you have, weapons, ammo and armour will be scattered throughout the level, but to get the really special big guns you may have to complete a side puzzle or two :rolleyes:

One note about any type of pick up, I have removed the pulsating green aura you find around the item, so now they can't be seen in the dark and are not as easy to find.

No trader is available in the map, if you can't hold a weapon, you have to drop it.

You may have to tell me about your character thing so I can maybe take maybe how you have done it

The character management only replaces existing models, this is to allow the player to use the models online, as much as I would like to add the characters to new slots, it just disables too much.

But hey, thats why you have the choice to install or not eh, I'm just providing the goods.

Thanks for the support guys, much appreciated.

Upvote 0
This will have multi support? saves/checkpoints?

Yes, the map has checkpoints to respawn any dead players or those that joined late, it has no save points, so if you die solo, or all die, game over and restart from the beginning. The map takes 30+ minutes to run around with no objectives or enemies, add the objectives and enemies, you're looking at an 1 hour + to complete the level, thats if you play it out flat, side missions and puzzles will add to the overall finishing time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is it possible to break it up into say, 3 "chapters"? I had to take other mission maps out of the rotation because people weren't willing to commit to a night on the same map. If you break it up They could do a chapter then move on and do another one later.

Its where to draw the line, I've played servers where the same person has played the same story map over and over and over and they still keep playing it, but I understand what you're saying, how long would you suggest a mission map chapter be?

Upvote 0
Its an idea thats being bouncing around my head from the word go to put the mission into 3 chapters, the draw back is, you'll lose your weapons as the chapter changes, thats the only thing thats kept me from doing it.

The concept is easily done, I can split what I have now with ease, its if chaptering the story will work out in the end.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I c... Unless you wanna drop lvl 2 weapons in at the spawn of chapter 2 or something i get your point...
I wonder, is there any serverperk ability to hold onto cash or something? that way you could have a shop set up that holds money from other plays and allow purchasing guns.

I'm just tossing ideas out, its a tough problem though...

Reactions: HuNteR-
Upvote 0
Just thought I'd drop a quick update to this, KF Zombies and the other mods I have/currently made/making.

I know this is an anticipated mod and because of that it is going to be one for the books.

Which means, as I previously stated, I can't bring myself to rush this.

But what I want to get across is that this isn't dead, it is just very special :p

What was that...did I just hear someone say stars? ;)

2012...the Resident Evil subjects invade Killing Floor...muhahaha

Last edited:
Reactions: Meatwadjenkins
Upvote 0
I think its time for an early update on Operation Dark Cell and the Resident Evil mod!

One last update to send everyone into the year with.

Today saw the first Resident Evil Creature enter Killing Floor! And it was a beautiful sight. now I'm not going to tell you which creature was tested, but I will say it was big...boss big...

Owe don't you love the hype!

So that was the Resident Evil side of the coin, its looking pretty epic.

Onto the Operation Dark Cell side of the coin. The map is around 65% complete. It is loaded with classic Resident Evil mentality, which means this key goes here so I can get this key that goes there... owe the joy! There is also abit of, this key goes here so that this...hey a big gun!

I will say that, the map is not for the casual KF player. Those that want to pop on, have a quick blast and leave, please stay away. No this is much more, its a mission, and its an epic mission in Killing Floor standards. Fantastic to play as a team or alone, Operation Dark Cell will not disappoint.

And don't forget, the map holds the secret codes for the character unlocks, so remember to watch out for them, thats if you can find the time to look whilst you're holding off a horde of Zombies...or worse...

I'm going to send you into the New Year with two things. The first is 4 screenshots of the ODC map.

The second is a discussion point...which is: What Resident Evil creatures do you think you'll see in the Resident Evil mod for Killing Floor?

Bare in mind, there are 11 so far... what do you think they are?

I'll start you off with 1...Zombies will be included :p

Now the screens, enjoy and have a happy New Year.

Screens do not represent the final product and do look different ingame. KF's screenshot function is not top notch. Infact it makes the map look pretty poor...which annoys me...ah well...next time.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

HuNteR-

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK, your sig or something has 0-4 members like this post...

And i was like - "WTF PEOPLE???"
Then i hit like and it said 1-1 like this and was like "whew" :D

That said - sounds epic. Can't wait for this, I <3 mission style gameplay. As for the RE monsters, i sincerely hope there's dogs. Freakiest moment of childhood gaming is walking down that damn hallway and having undead dobermans rape your face off.

Also - having the big, black, tentacley thing from RE5 would be hilariously awesome. The ororoborus monster or whatever. Flamethrower ahoy!

Upvote 0
New year, New update. No Pictures, No Video, No Audio, Just Text.

Resident Evil...the big one.

One huge campaign, split into 4 seperate Scenarios/Maps.

11 Beasts...so far...

12 Playable Resident Evil Characters...so far...but you have to unlock them...

Secret Weapons...throughout the campaign...you gotta find um...

Above all else...Resident Evil: Operation Dark Cell...

Is nearing completion...

Ps. Thank you halbridious, thank you for being the only one who took part in the conversation piece. For that, you get to test the mod before anyone else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just some input from your screenshots. The fluorescent lights would look better if they were inset into the ceiling some(Cut out a rectangle area so the static mesh lights do not clip but are flush with your ceiling) and have the ceiling tiles line up with the light.

Like This:

Also you might want to have the ceiling lights give off some light or possibly edit the texture so it is not unlit. ;)

Upvote 0
Ps. Thank you halbridious, thank you for being the only one who took part in the conversation piece. For that, you get to test the mod before anyone else.
Ninja Forum Skillz :D
I'm always happy to test things. Unless i'm sleeping. Which happens only during a small chunk of time :p

Also - adding the demon/centipede spine dude from RE4 would be epic (the weird leader of the villagers). And the giant troll things. Because those are always my favorite part of that game :D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.