• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Mutator] Operation Dark Cell

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who download stuff from others can't start it anyways. Why do you care about them so much?

Really, stop worrying about lazy a**holes who can't download the mod. It's their problem, not yours.
Thing about mods is that you have to keep everyone happy cause otherwise it wont feel right. Let him be as he's doing perfect and this is such a hype on this forums that you haven't really got a choice in it lol.

Hunter how is the ragdolls going? I know you had problems with them.

Upvote 0
IF someome will download mod via KF, THEN:
1) he will have this problem unless Hunter will find the fix, which will probably affect mod in negative way;
2) he will take ages to download;
3) he will overload server with his downloading, which may cause lag;
4) he will have no idea where he is at the finish of the downloading;
5) he will probably leave after first death, if not earlier, or just screw up everyone;
6) he won't be able to play it himself after this, because mod won't show up anywhere in menu.

Upvote 0
Nonsense. If you look at the server's name and see RE or something like that, don't you think "hey, maybe I should download that RE first and then connect to the server ?"
I personally have never thought that about any mod of any kind in any game. I doubt anyone would think this to be honest.

IF someome will download mod via KF, THEN:
1) he will have this problem unless Hunter will find the fix, which will probably affect mod in negative way;
2) he will take ages to download;
3) he will overload server with his downloading, which may cause lag;
4) he will have no idea where he is at the finish of the downloading;
5) he will probably leave after first death, if not earlier, or just screw up everyone;
6) he won't be able to play it himself after this, because mod won't show up anywhere in menu.
Have you hosted your own server before?
2.) That depends on their connection and the connection to the redirection site the server uses.
3.) Use of redirection sites stop this from happening. Speeds are a lot quicker too.
4.) This is something all servers have...you never know when it'll stop so that is not counted for this mod.
5.) That is their problem and nothing to do with the download. All I can say is RAGE QUIT! :p
6.) Why would a mod after download come up in your KF? None of the files do that at all so why should this one lol? Solo or multiplayer, this mod will get played so that isn't an issue.

Reactions: Gooblaster
Upvote 0
The point of 6 is if you'll want to play it further, you'll need to download it yourself anyways.
So wtf bother with fix for those who download mod through KF, if in the end they'll be downloading it themselves? And delaying mod itself because of such minor issue.
To me that sounds selfish, most people (including me) wont download stuff if they can play it with others on a server. if they want to download it, good for them but I would prefer Hunter to delay to fix a problem that ALL servers will have to face.

Upvote 0
It certainly is important to try and get downloads to work, but i'm not sure why you'd delay the mod... If its important to people, they download it. if its not, they wait and find another server. because there's hundreds of KF servers open everywhere. Hunter doesn't currently have a fix, so I don't know why you wouldn't post a working mod and update it when you have the fix for a secondary issue - if it takes him 3 months to fix, and he holds the mod, thats fairly ridiculous.

Upvote 0
It certainly is important to try and get downloads to work, but i'm not sure why you'd delay the mod... If its important to people, they download it. if its not, they wait and find another server. because there's hundreds of KF servers open everywhere. Hunter doesn't currently have a fix, so I don't know why you wouldn't post a working mod and update it when you have the fix for a secondary issue - if it takes him 3 months to fix, and he holds the mod, thats fairly ridiculous.

I double that. There is people who won't suffer from this game flaw, so why keep them waiting longer?
Those who WILL suffer from this flaw, will either DL this mod manually and stop suffer from it, or will just wait for this bug to be fixed, if they're really so lazy.
I can honestly see your points I do, but I know Hunter likes to get his pretty much perfect and ready for everyone to enjoy. He also does have a couple of projects to do at the same time which is time consuming so he probably knows it'll be awhile but then maybe be forgotten after awhile. I personally prefer making sure I get a decent version out so all can enjoy otherwise there will be many versions out that also gets confusing now only for the public but for us modders too.

Upvote 0
I know I can enjoy version without online-downloading-compability now, because I simply don't need this feature. And I'm sure I'm not the only one. About many versions - there is tons of mod which getting updated over time, and somehow people don't getting confused about that.

that's because alot of modders remember to rename their files to avoid version mismatches. by holding it until he fixes the mod he can avoid that more easily and release a more enjoyable version of the mod

Upvote 0
My point, btw, was thus: if he thinks he can fix it within the next week or two, sure, hold on to it. but if he releases a perfectly good mod 3 months late after not being able to solve the problem, now a much-anticipated mod has kind of gone stale, and the hype gone sour :( Its playable now. Holding onto it, delaying teh bugfixing beta phase, for people who won't appreciate it anyways, its not really doing any good...

Upvote 0
that's because alot of modders remember to rename their files to avoid version mismatches. by holding it until he fixes the mod he can avoid that more easily and release a more enjoyable version of the mod
you forgot to note, "more enjoyable for certain amount of lazy people who don't care, and the same for those who wait for it and are decent enough to download mod in proper way"
:IS2:

Upvote 0
I'll cut to the quick.

If by the time the mod is completed, as in the maps are finished, the weapons function properly and everything else works. If by that time the animations are still not fixed, I will release the mod without the fix.

Until then I will continue to work on a fix. But working on a fix as well as trying to complete other sections is taking more time than I want to spend on the mod, simply because I can't focus on one key area.

So with that said, it means the mod will take longer to complete as a whole.

But, when the time comes and everything is ready to go, if the fix aint in place, then the mod gets released without it.

But bare this in mind:

I will continue to dedicate time now finding a fix because Resident Evil will be my last mod, after it, I am gone from KF modding. Which means Resident Evil could potentially never see a fix for the problem.

So yes, I will spend more time now and hold the mod longer as in a perfect world, I'd love a flawless release.

If you're worried about the hype been dampened...well you just wait until you see the trailer I have in store for you...you'll be eating your keyboard in anticipation.

Good things are worth waiting for.

Anyway, that aside, the maps are now in beta testing, which means the creatures are finished (excluding the death problem).

I'm still looking for a late February release.

Keep in tuned.

Reactions: Meatwadjenkins
Upvote 0
First of all thank you for taking the time to address this problem I'm having.

I'm happy to say I had pretty much all the same code in place that you have quoted there.

But I followed your code and I now get an error when compiling that says:

Code:
 REMonster.uc(5) : Error, '.': Bad command or Expression
Which is this line of code:

Code:

When I remove the ... I get another error with RemoveEffects();
Well if you still haven't figured this out, simply take the original PlayDyingAnimation from KFMonster.uc and apply following changes:
Code:
simulated function PlayDyingAnimation(class<DamageType> DamageType, vector HitLoc)
{
	local vector shotDir, hitLocRel, deathAngVel, shotStrength;
	local float maxDim;
	local string RagSkelName;
	local KarmaParamsSkel skelParams;
	local bool PlayersRagdoll;
	local PlayerController pc;

if( MyExtCollision!=None )
		MyExtCollision.Destroy();
	if ( Level.NetMode != NM_DedicatedServer && [COLOR="Red"]Class'D3Karma'.Static.UseRagdoll() && Len(RagdollOverride)>0[/COLOR] )
	{
		// Is this the local player's ragdoll?
		// jag
	}
	// non-ragdoll death fallback
	Velocity += GetTearOffMomemtum();
	BaseEyeHeight = Default.BaseEyeHeight;
	SetTwistLook(0, 0);
	SetInvisibility(0.0);
	[COLOR="Red"]PlayDirectionalDeath(HitLoc);[/COLOR]
	SetPhysics(PHYS_Falling);
}
And depending on how you plan implementing death animations, you could do something simple as this:
Code:
var array<name> DeathAnims;

simulated function PlayDirectionalDeath(Vector HitLoc)
{
	PlayAnim(DeathAnims[Rand(DeathAnims.Length)]);
}

defaultproperties
{
	DeathAnims(0)="Die1"
	DeathAnims(1)="Die2"
	DeathAnims(2)="Die3"
}
You might want to rename D3Karma however to make it less obvious where it is ripped from.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.