• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Re-skin/Mutator] The Rotting

HuNteR-

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2011
Up there, in the trees...
I've seen so many pieces of work and always thought hell, I wish I could do that, so secretly behind the scenes I've been learning the Inns and outs of texturing and coding for KF and I'm now at the point where I feel confident enough to publicly announce the project I'm working on.

I'm not going to give too much away in terms of content so I've attached just the one picture, but I'll detail the overview.

Story:

The Rotting: 5 Months after the infection took hold, the Specimens roam the streets in search for their next meal, but unfortunate for them, the menu ran dry a long time ago, with almost everybody already dead or mutated, the Specimens have no source of food, and with no food, the Specimens are litterally Rotting to death.

But these are tough little buggers, the hunger makes them a faster, stronger and more devastating force, a human fighting for survival can overcome the laws of nature, an enhanced creature fighting for survival...is godlike.

Main features of this Mutator are:

• Re-skins for every Specimen
  • 3 Versions for most specimens at different stages of decay
  • Specimens are stronger, faster and hit harder
  • Some Specimens also recieve an additional factor, for example, a Clot when killed will explode Bloat Bile
  • Other features may be added as the project progresses
I have no plans for a beta at this time, but who knows, it might be on the cards eventually.

Now for the pic, an un-finalised version of the Rotting Clot:

Spoiler!

By all means share your thoughts, is it lame, should I quit now? Should I continue etc...

EDIT: The Latest Pictures

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

EDIT - New New Pic

Rotting Siren
Spoiler!

Download Part one Now!: http://www.tsrlegacy.co.uk/KFupload/TheRotting.rar

This below fix is for people who downloaded the original first full release, the above link is the new full release that is all fixed for you.

This is the latest and hopefully final fix: [URL="http://www.tsrlegacy.co.uk/KFupload/TheRottingFix.rar"]http://www.tsrlegacy.co.uk/KFupload/TheRottingFix.rar[/URL]

Contains the needed StaticMeshes and updated System Files to play.

Last edited:
Looks pretty awesome. If I may suggest something, you should make multiple skins for each specimen for variety and give each one slightly different stats.

So for example a more healthy looking clot would be more faster/stronger and the more "rotten" looking ones would be slower and possible exploded in bile like you said. But wether the rotten ones should do more or less damage per hit Im not sure, up to you I guess :)

Would be even better if someone could do a little modelling, for example remove an arm from a specimen or a part of its face to make them look even more different from each other.

Upvote 0
Looks pretty awesome. If I may suggest something, you should make multiple skins for each specimen for variety and give each one slightly different stats.

So for example a more healthy looking clot would be more faster/stronger and the more "rotten" looking ones would be slower and possible exploded in bile like you said. But wether the rotten ones should do more or less damage per hit Im not sure, up to you I guess :)

Would be even better if someone could do a little modelling, for example remove an arm from a specimen or a part of its face to make them look even more different from each other.

Only problem I have with your comment is probably the "healthy" version of zeds. When you think about it, aren't the standard zeds the "healthy" versions? :p

I must admit I kinda like the idea of having two versions with different stats but I think the rot version is great and can't wait to see the later zeds. The second version needs to be different and maybe unique. I can't exactly think of an example but can you see my point?

Upvote 0
Only problem I have with your comment is probably the "healthy" version of zeds. When you think about it, aren't the standard zeds the "healthy" versions? :p

Yes, thats what I ment. Healthy clots would be the "normal" ones, but for this mutator you could make them slightly faster/stronger.

I must admit I kinda like the idea of having two versions with different stats

Who said anything about two :p. I was talking about more like 5 or upwards. Theres much you can do with the skins, add more wounds/scars/boils/bullet holes... etc. I could probably even help with the skinning if the idea took wind. I mean, if it feels like too much work.

Upvote 0
It's a cool idea, but infection? :p

I was wondering about this, I know they were experiments to begin with, but why would they have the ability to turn other people into clots, surely there has to be some form of infection there.

You've ruined my surprise :D

There are different variations of each specimen in the mutator, each like you say at a different stage of rotting, each with slightly different stats.

As for the modelling part, I can't say I can remove arms, but trust me when I say, you can tell the difference between the versions, for example I have a clot midway into decomposing, which has rotting flesh and such, the beginning of decay, I then have a badly decomposed clot that has severely rotting flesh revealing bone and skull, so you can get a picture of how they will look different.

As of yet I only have 3 variations of a single specimen, these don't include the healthy(standard) versions, this is The Rotting mutator afterall :p

But i'm glad people like the project, I will keep at it.

Upvote 0
It's a cool idea, but infection? :p
Why not? The human organism can get infected and I don't suppose that the Clots innate and adaptive immune system (if he even has that) is that much better then the one of a human.
I mean the clots imune system had no time to "learn" and adapt to the world + they don't have medicine or anything else. Rotting Clot might be a bad description, as a rotting organism is dead.

Or a Virus, which is only "Specimen specific" implements its DNA into the Clot's DNA, or its RNA with the help of Reverse Transcriptase into the Clot's DNA. Instead of killing the Clot the Virus makes it stronger (positive mutation).

The idea of a Zombie Virus isn't that abstract in real life either. If you know how to mix the Nucleotids together. "Just" use a Virus as a Vektor and you could basically cure cancer or produce the worst disease.
The Adeno Virus for example is used to add Genes to the DNA, in order to cure someone. This Virus won't write his own RNA into the DNA but the one which "was given to him" (by scientists).

So why can't it be an infection :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why not? The human organism can get infected and I don't suppose that the Clots innate and adaptive immune system (if he even has that) is that much better then the one of a human.
I mean the clots imune system had no time to "learn" and adapt to the world + they don't have medicine or anything else. Rotting Clot might be a bad description, as a rotting organism is dead.

Or a Virus, which is only "Specimen specific" implements its DNA into the Clot's DNA, or its RNA with the help of Reverse Transcriptase into the Clot's DNA. Instead of killing the Clot the Virus makes it stronger (positive mutation).

The idea of a Zombie Virus isn't that abstract in real life either. If you know how to mix the Nucleotids together. "Just" use a Virus as a Vektor and you could basically cure cancer or produce the worst disease.
The Adeno Virus for example is used to add Genes to the DNA, in order to cure someone. This Virus won't write his own RNA into the DNA but the one which "was given to him" (by scientists).

So why can't it be an infection :D

^^ Too much science. Just blame it on Horizone.

Upvote 0
I was referring to the fact that according to the story the enemies weren't created from infecting regular human beings.

Thats true but I meant that a clot gets infected, not an infected gets infected :p I'd just say that the clones got an infection and thus look like that now. If there was a food shortage they wouldn't rott but will get weak and loose all their muscels and fat. Wouldn't it be terrible if people on a diet would start to rott? :D

That's just the background storry but I think that it should be plausible too ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just a quick update on the Mutator:

I have finished coding the Specimens into the game,

• New skins,
  • Different animations
  • Speeds
  • Damage
have been completed.

The few things left to do are:
  • Custom sounds
And the more problematic,
  • Adding variations on already existing attacks
The main being the Clot exploding into bile when its killed, its proving more of a challenge than I thought, but its still early days.

Anyway, for anyone who's interested, thats where this mutator is in development.

Upvote 0