• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

After Christmas :: Super Scrake

Update - 01-November-2012

Is this dead? No, it's just on hold. I haven't done any work on it in quite a long time since I've been busy with other things (projects, real life, etc.), but if there's enough interest I'll come back to it soon and finish it up.

It hasn't been released before now because it's really hard trying to make a large, powerful enemy that can keep up with players without moving faster than a huge dual-chainsaw wielding maniac should be able to.

So, a few details about how it currently works:

• When attacking, the chainsaw swings are tracked very accurately to damage anything they come into contact with. This has the natural benefit of being able to hit several foes with a single swing, as well as allowing players to dodge a swing by ducking or side-stepping.

• When stamina is available, the Maul will sometimes sprint towards its target instead of walking. Stamina is also used for attacks, and when it is exhausted the Maul will become stunned.

• During the stunned period its chainsaws can be damaged, and, eventually destroyed. Destroying a chainsaw means it can't be used in any subsequent attacks. Destroying both kills the Maul. Attacks that use both chainsaws can still be used, but only one chainsaw actually does anything if the other is destroyed.

• If its target is outside of melee range it can use its roar to disorientate and slow it down.

• When taking critical damage, movement speed is reduced slightly.

• Damage is partially absorbed by armour, which can be gradually worn down to nothing or can be temporarily weakened using fire. When armour is depleted (or temporarily weakened) the Maul takes full damage.

• Each attack has its own profile that describes it:

Weight - This is how likely a particular attack is to be performed. On lower difficulties the specimen will use attacks that are easier to dodge.

Stamina - How much stamina this attack uses. When all stamina is used up the specimen gets 'tired' and enters a stun animation.

Speed tracking - This controls the movement speed over time and gives some attacks more of a lunge affect than others. It also gives a small idle period after certain attacks, on lower difficulties.

Rotation tracking - Similar to above, but it controls how well the specimen can turn in particular periods of the attack. Some attacks will not allow any turning during the main swipes, whereas others will. Attacks that do not allow a high turn speed can be dodged by side-stepping.

Some videos I recorded earlier this year:

Killing Floor - Maul (dev) - YouTube
Killing Floor - Maul (dev) 2 - YouTube

Upvote 0
I asked about your maul, does his mesh and animations fully new and does it not inherit xmas scrake? Do you contend that maul is fully new zed?

I'm not getting what you asking here. I'm talking about the WPC maul, the original maul. Beyond the xmas scrake mesh it is all new. It inherits nothing of the scrake at all.

Upvote 0