• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation UV Unwrap Advice Please for Projection Mapping

clarizzle

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 13, 2013
Having spent 2 weeks trying to unwrap what I thought was quite a simple mesh built in Max, having tried countless tutorials and techniques, I'm deperate for some advice.

My first issue is that I can't get my UVs to fit back onto my mesh (obj) in different software(d3) even before moving and scaling in the UV editor, knowing that the mesh is positioned and scaled correctly and rendered out (png)at the same res as the mesh.

I'm looking for some advice on how best to deconstruct the model in order to create a content template for use in after effects, to be used in a projection mapping project. The model comprises of cylinders, spheres, polygons which make a central pyramid and a box with edges taken out and polygons added to make up the flooring. The polygons were created by joining vertices and capping holes in the modifier. I'm looking to film the model, moving around (10m length) a low level (approx 1.5m height. Total model =6m height), with a slight tilt upwards as that would be the audiences perspective, therefore I want to create my content accordingly. I would be happy to simplify and film from 1 central angle if this made the process far more complex however.

I've been trying the following-
attaching objects/polys/vertices before mapping
-Different types of mapping with the UV map gizmo. Scaling the views with a material on the model so that I can see stretching
-flattening UVs of parts of the model one by one
-Selecting seams to be peeled
-Mapping faces, vertices, lines

Any guidance on technique/best practice will be immensely appreciated,

Thanking you kindly!