• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation Blender PSK,PSA Export/Import

hipnox

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2010
I'm having a ton of trouble importing and exporting killing floor meshes in and out of blender.

all models i try to export get completely obliterated once imported into UnrealEd, if i even manage to get them exported at all.

Even if i import a model and immediately export it without even touching it, it fails.

Any ideas or work arounds?

By obliterated i mean:

I imported the original fleshpound into blender with another *psk importer.

Weight groups where there and the skeleton looked good. I applied the skeleton to my fleshpound model, weighted it, and exported it back to *psk.

In Unreal Ed, i imported the new fleshpound over the existing one and linked the FP animation to it. It resulted in a deformed, unrecognizable mass and the entire thing was a couple of feet above the ground, despite being in the same place and having the same origin as the default FP mesh.

I later tried importing and exporting the bullpup, with similar results. Without any modifications, just importing and exporting, the animations broke again. The bullpup was pointing at the wrong direction and the arms where in the wrong place.

In fact, if i import the PSA into blender, the thing breaks, just like in Unreal Ed, which makes me suspect the PSK importer is the one responsible.

I'll get pics if i can.

Upvote 0
Bullpup skeleton mesh. (Imported into blender)
Spoiler!

Bullpup skeleton + animation. (Imported into blender)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Fleshpound PSK

Spoiler!

Fleshpound PSK + PSA

Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks like your losing smoothing groups and the skinning weight tables.

At this point I would suggest 3DS max m8. It will make your life so much easier. :)

(and no, I do not expect you to buy it ;-) )

I'm not sure it's just the weights. The bones themselves are all over the place. If anything, the weight groups appear to follow the bones quite well.

As for 3DS, i'm using Blender specifically to stay away from "not buying" software. It's an amazing tool and can do pretty much everything 3Ds does. It's just that the plugins aren't working well.

Migh need to look for a external converter or something instead of a plug in

Upvote 0
If I remember correctly, Blender doesn't like PSA animations at all. The plug in doesn't actually work for Unreal PSA files.

I think I found a work around, by using an SMT (source) converter to convert the psa file into an SMT file,

Import that into Blender and you should be ok.

Blender does however export PSA files correctly.

I may be thinking about Milkshape though, so it is worth playing around with the different formats there are available until you find the best process.

Upvote 0