• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation Resident Evil Conversion Project

I think i fixed the crash glitch. So far so good so i went ahead and did the crawler
clot1.jpg

crawler.jpg

what was the crashing glitch - cus im having the same issues with our new specimen atm

Upvote 0
Just a small explanation for future model makers :

The engine refers to the Bone-names in the rigs of the specimens. When dismemberment happens in the game the engine searches for a bone-name in the skeleton of the model and then "merges" all the vertesies to create a "cap" in, for example, the upper arm.

Some of these bones are needed for like a "bloat" explosion. When we had removed them the game crashed, cous the engine was referring to that bone in the model.

How do you resolve this? Just select the bone you wanted to delete in the first place and put no "weight" on it in 3d max. So its still there, but its not doing anything animation wise to your model.

Some bones can be deleted like a jawbone, that apparently has no influence on the model when it dies, or has any function in the game to make it crash.

Just thought I post this so people will know when they start their creation.

Reactions: arramus
Upvote 0
Just a small explanation for future model makers :

The engine refers to the Bone-names in the rigs of the specimens. When dismemberment happens in the game the engine searches for a bone-name in the skeleton of the model and then "merges" all the vertesies to create a "cap" in, for example, the upper arm.

Some of these bones are needed for like a "bloat" explosion. When we had removed them the game crashed, cous the engine was referring to that bone in the model.

How do you resolve this? Just select the bone you wanted to delete in the first place and put no "weight" on it in 3d max. So its still there, but its not doing anything animation wise to your model.

Some bones can be deleted like a jawbone, that apparently has no influence on the model when it dies, or has any function in the game to make it crash.

Just thought I post this so people will know when they start their creation.
Oh. Damn it, now I have to start my project from beginning :(
When I made skelet for my speci, I didn't include bones x.x
Are they really nececary? o_o
Can I add them in mid-works?

Upvote 0
well we still need to find the piece of code that refers to these bones so we can adjust it to a character. In the meanwhile its safe to just import a bloat skeleton or clot and adjust the bones to your character.

Once we found the code on the bones we will post on the forums how to adjust them so your character works.

stay tuned!

Upvote 0
well we still need to find the piece of code that refers to these bones so we can adjust it to a character. In the meanwhile its safe to just import a bloat skeleton or clot and adjust the bones to your character.
this is what i used for my zombie mod

Bloat
Code:
simulated function BeginPlay()
{
 LinkSkelAnim(MeshAnimation'Bloat_anim');
 Super.BeginPlay();
}

Clot
Code:
{
 LinkSkelAnim(MeshAnimation'Clot_anim');
 Super.BeginPlay();
}

Last edited:
Upvote 0
this is what i used for my zombie mod

Bloat
Code:
{
 LinkSkelAnim(MeshAnimation'Bloat_anim');
 Super.BeginPlay();
}

Clot
Code:
{
 LinkSkelAnim(MeshAnimation'Clot_anim');
 Super.BeginPlay();
}

this is the code to bind your custom mesh to a custom skeleton/animation or an existing one in game such as the bloat or the clot - am i right?

hemi are the death animations etc in the TWI rig we exported from the bloat?

i think hemi mentioned that they were not, which means to make dismemberment and explosions to work the engine handles it dynamically based on physics and not animation - i believe the skeleton would require certain bone names to make this happen with the engine. unless you scripted the engine to declare your custom bone names

such as a 3rd_arm_bone

if you did use custom bone names and then engine doesnt know about them they simply wont do anything when the explosion happens - which kind of takes away the atmosphere (or crash the game)

i believe anyway, ive still much to learn about the 2.5 engine

i believe the bones in the rig TWI provided in the SDK are the bare minimum - if youve missed any youll prolly get problems

Last edited:
Upvote 0