• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation Sky Sphere?

Colonel Panic

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
I'm trying to make a sort of sky dome for one of my maps, and all the tutorials I've seen on it either re-use someone else's sky-dome (which won't work for me since I need a full-spherical shape with specific tessellation) or doesn't go any further into detail on it than to say to "invert the normals". I don't know what this means or how to do it, but I assume it's why i can't get it to work, since only solid polys seem to export from maya via actor-x, and I need a hollow shape so that I can render things inside of it and see the textures.

Can anyone explain how I can do this?

TL;DR: tell me how to make a hollow sphere mesh with maya.

ok what exactly do I do to do this? I need step by step guidance )=

1) go to polygons, create a polygon sphere on the grid
2) assign it a texture: right-click drag, assign new material>lambert
2.5) select the checkered box to the right of "color", select "file", and click the browse button by "image name" to select your texture. Ensure your texture is properly rotated.
3) find the drop-down selection box in the upper right, and set it to Polygons.
4) select the "normals" menu at the top and go down to "reverse"
5) export using actor-x plugin command 'axmesh'. Select to use geometry names as filenames, selected items only, and auto-triangulate.
6) import first the texture and then the mesh into unreal ed.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Oops!

yeah, I thought I specified... my bad. This thread is about Maya.

EDIT:
You could always download KF-Scrith-v2-2.rom and open it in the editor to import the sky sphere I made into your level. You can then replace my sky texture with your own.

^^; sorry I didnt know what Maya really was so didnt pay too much attention, That was My fault and oh Thanks ^^ I'll make sure to do that. Thanks a lot, I'ma try to make a cameo of you in it :n

Upvote 0