• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad The Fox's Den Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Suicidal and HoE, the game changes, Scrakes and FPs gain newfound resistance to Crossbows, neither of them can be solo'ed with an AA12, and scrakes can no longer be stun locked with a Katana. Better strategies are required to take out the big ones, strategies typically only known by people who have played the game for a little. Plus a level 3 on HoE is just a member who's going to drag the team down, the perk level simply is not high enough to do damage.

Hard is a similar story. The first two perk levels are easy to get on any class and mark a certain amount of experience in the game. If you have level 2, it means you've at least put a couple of hours in and you won't screw it up for the whole team. When I go to a hard server, I don't want to see someone unloading on an FP until it rages when I'm trying to kite it. And the above strategies BARELY work on Hard (you cannot AA12 an FP to death on Hard in a single clip easily).

:)

Upvote 0
Spoiler!

:3

Upvote 0
I keep trying to write a reply, I'm on my third attempt, but I'm simply aghast at what happens when you post 10 free servers for a community that you pay for and set some basic minimum requirements because I thought it would improve play quality for people on the servers and I named some generalizations that occur.

What I got in reply what someone looking up my steam profile and a dissection of everything I said, and naming exceptions to the rule which typically don't happen in public games.

You're welcome for the free servers that I actively monitor for jerks and people trying to turn them into their personal private servers on high speed connections with little lag no matter where you are, community.

On a brighter note, the other admin and I had been talking about sponsoring a mapping contest, again using our own money for a cash prize, for the new objective mode.

Upvote 0
I keep trying to write a reply, I'm on my third attempt, but I'm simply aghast at what happens when you post 10 free servers for a community that you pay for and set some basic minimum requirements because I thought it would improve play quality for people on the servers and I named some generalizations that occur.
Because there's such a dearth of free servers available already? The rest of your post screams of a feeling of personal entitlement to players on your server, ergo that players are beholden to admins whims and expectations. If I misread your post then my apologies, but never forget that as a server host you are expected to serve your players first and foremost, and hold yourself accountable to them. Anything else is a slippery slope that ends with TTS FallenAngels.

Upvote 0
All we ask is people enjoy the servers. It was decided that those were reasonable expectations for perks and people seem to be enjoying it. We don't even want a thank you, we're just happy to help out and serve the community, but we certainly don't want to be attacked. My post was to merely explain what made us choose those level requirements.

(Yes, there is more than one of us, I'm just the lovely public face and the most involved ;) )

Didn't your mothers ever teach you if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it?

Upvote 0
if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it?
I hate this sentence more than anything in existence, guess I'm just a pessimist.
He was just saying he doesn't personally agree with your reasoning behind the level requirements, and letting you know that it may not be the most conductive ruleset for having relatively experienced players on your servers due to the existence of alt-accounts.
It's entirely up to you what requirements you set for your server. Hell, you could have a male only server and I'm sure you'll get a lot of disapproval from people but it's your server. I don't think anything was an attack on you or your service, just some observations.

Upvote 0
I really wish there was an IdiotFilter mutator for servers instead of NoobFilter.
We do too, but in lieu of that, we went with minimal level restrictions that we felt were appropriate. Preferably we'd just ask a simple question like, "Can you stun lock a scrake with a Katana on normal difficulty from the front?" It would keep most idiots out.

Scrakes can never be stunned by a katana except with backstabs, which are usually a waste of time to go for anyway unless you have a cooperative partner taking agro.
Well that's just wrong. A scrake can be stun locked by a katana from the front on Hard - Beginner depending upon perk level. Here, from the kf-wiki:

A tactic often used by berserkers playing on lower difficulty levels would be to repeatedly flinch a scrake using a katana, preventing the scrake from retaliating. However, this tactic cannot be used on Suicidal difficulty and above, since scrakes can only be flinched by a melee weapon once on that difficulty
I encourage you to take it into a test map and try it yourself. I also encourage you to read the wiki.

None of the MLG leggit pr0 combos in Killing Floor take more than 10 minutes to learn how they work if someone is teaching you, after that it's just a bit of practice to master.
And mastering them is the trick. Mastering them in the midst of a level, not on a testmap. Perk levels are gained via experience as is mastery of the combos.

Alt. accounts, you can try to say they're uncommon but I know a lot of people who use them including myself.
There are exceptions to the rule. Fortunately most experienced players who do such things as alt accounts own their own servers.

Even if someone isn't on an alt and are inexperienced they can learn, help new players don't shun them.
I don't, I frequent my own Beginner, Normal, and Hard servers and play with teams of complete new guys, especially during the free week. I help them with ideas and dosh. I tell them to friend me on steam if they have any questions.

Low levels in a team on HoE don't have to be a detriment if they'll intelligent enough to listen to experienced players. I've had level 1 medics join midway in the past and be level 3 or higher by the end of the game because they did their job and took advice from us / stayed with us to stay alive.
That's an exception to the rule. Most of the time people who aren't ready join HoE servers, get killed, and rage quit. Either that or they get vote kicked.

You found a group of skilled players who knew each other, knew weapons, and who coordinated well. One of whom is karsey. They were also on a personal server where people weren't joining and quitting. They all knew what to do in cases of FPs and Scrakes. You have shown the exception to the rule.

The low difficulties are for learning anyway.
Right, so that's why I go on and help they learn on a daily basis. I care about building the community. That's also why I want to sponsor a cash prize for a community map making contest using the new objective mode. However, imagine the headaches I'm going to get for that if I'm getting this for simply posting servers with minimally restrictive rules. BTW, the suicidal level cap was originally three, it was changed to 4 after speaking to people who frequented the server and listening to community input by people playing the game.

I'm assuming you mean kiting it as a Berserker, and I'm also assuming level 6 since you have almost 1,000 hours playtime if the "Fox Reinhold" I see on Steam is you. .......I can't see a level 6 Berserker dying on Hard unless they did it to themselves getting swarmed for being bad all on their own.....
That is me, creeper. Being as you didn't even know about stun locking a scrake on the lower difficulties with a katana, an extremely basic move, I'm going to go ahead and assume you don't play Beserker. Which is fine. However, a raged FP on Hard is still a threat even to a level 6 beserker, particularly if your teammates keep raging it while your trying to kite it. Level 2 on Hard is not much to ask for and shows a basic amount of experience which we felt appropriate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That is me, creeper. Being as you didn't even know about stun locking a scrake on the lower difficulties with a katana, an extremely basic move, I'm going to go ahead and assume you don't play Beserker. Which is fine. However, a raged FP on Hard is still a threat even to a level 6 beserker, particularly if your teammates keep raging it while your trying to kite it. Level 2 on Hard is not much to ask for and shows a basic amount of experience which we felt appropriate.

I find it funny you claim Merdic doesn't know how to play zerk when you don't know even know the difference between stunning and flinching. Even the [unreliable] wiki page you cited says "flinch" not "stun" with the katana. Nothing he said about scrakes and katanas is wrong.

Also, encouraging someone to read an unreliable, incorrect, and incomplete wiki on KF is a pretty silly thing to do.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.