• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Offperk Katana?

Raisins_Tasty

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2013
I've noticed that a lot of people like to utilize offperk katanas in their loadouts for suicidal and hell on earth difficulty, mainly for scrake flinching and kiting.

I was wondering how people manage to afford such equipment on the higher difficulties, especially since the price got raised to 2000 a while ago.

Yes of course playing a wave as zerk would be possible but I don't play zerk and it's a level 1 :IS2:

Or starting zerk and swapping over. If you sell your axe you can buy a katana after a wave or two. Maybe stay zerk a wave or two longer to build up some dosh and swap. You may even get free armour as well (for what it's worth).

Edit: Also, I wouldn't suggest the plan if you don't play zerk. Learning to use a katana offperk isn't the best plan, as if you get it wrong then you'll probably die, and they're expensive to buy as we've established.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ask a high level zerk to buy it for you. Also to improve Berserker's level in a safer way I recommend playing a high level Field Medic (probably you have it at the level3-5) at a low difficulty server. Cut Bloat heads with Fire Axe or Katana, decapitation bonus from a powerful melee weapon and extra resistance to bile allow you to bear the damage and progress your perk in a more safer manner.

People generally go for zerk at a very early wave to achieve katana and flinch-uppercut Scrakes. When you see a zerk at an earlier wave, ask for a spare katana. Btw, think if you can flinch and kill Scrakes with a single uppercut when you got a katana? Because if you can't; the punishment would be heavy. Head your way up to the testmaps to practice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The most reasonable ways are to either zerk a wave or two to buy one discounted or get someone who is a zerk to buy one for you. Otherwise you need to kill zeds, not die, and save dosh. If you want to try that approach, I recommend the 'get rich or die tryin' strategy of not buying body armor.

It's all common sense really. This isn't rocket surgery.

Or you can sell flare pistols for profit and be a doshillionaire by wave 3.

Upvote 0