• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New voice command

D-Es-C-H

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2006
I apologize if someone has already suggested this--I did search the forum before posting.

At present, voice commands allow players to insult the specimens (V-5-1) or insult the other players (V-5-1). But there is no voice command to allow players to compliment or cheer their teammates. When players wish to compliment each other for playing well they have to do so by text (e.g. "ns," "gj") or voice chat.

So my suggestion is, add a new voice command to the Insults menu: V-5-3--Compliment Players. If nothing else, it would be interesting to see what kinds of idiomatic British compliments the designers come up with.

It's slower at first but once you get used to it you can use it as instinctively as quickly as a bind. Though maybe that's just because I'm used to playing 2D fighters.
Pretty much this. There're only so many keys and every one used for a specific voice command is one that can't be macro'd. If anything (imho) direct voice binds are actually slower because all the keys within easy reach are already bound to various zombie-shooty and financial liquidation things.

Upvote 0
Get a mic and say a couple of words of thanks yourself, much nicer and more personal for complimenting/thanking someone.

I have a mic. And I do.

But many players don't have mics, and aren't likely to buy them for this purpose.

Tapping two keys to say a generic voice comm barely seems like effort was required to acknowledge the good work your complimenting.

I disagree. Only a monster of vanity would dismiss a compliment on the grounds that the complimenter didn't put enough effort into it. "Sorry, man--your compliment wasn't good enough. Try harder next time."

What's more, players are most likely to want to praise each other when the specimens are swarming thick and fast, and someone makes a clutch play. In such a situation, there's no time for anything more elaborate than a few keystrokes.

A new voice command would require only as many keystrokes as a text message saying "ns" or "gj". And it would provide considerably more positive feedback than a couple of letters.

Upvote 0
I disagree. Only a monster of vanity would dismiss a compliment on the grounds that the complimenter didn't put enough effort into it. "Sorry, man--your compliment wasn't good enough. Try harder next time."

What's more, players are most likely to want to praise each other when the specimens are swarming thick and fast, and someone makes a clutch play. In such a situation, there's no time for anything more elaborate than a few keystrokes.

I don't dismiss them, just saying that the best way to show a goodjob etc is to actually say something, generic voice commands just feel impersonal imo.

Also, a voice activated mic option would be much preferable, shouldnt need to have to press a button. No keystrokes required then :p

Upvote 0
i don't dismiss them, just saying that the best way to show a goodjob etc is to actually say something, generic voice commands just feel impersonal imo.

Also, a voice activated mic option would be much preferable, shouldnt need to have to press a button. No keystrokes required then :p

kill it! Kill it with fire! Open mics must die!! Over sensitive mics must die! By fire!

Reactions: Lacedaemonius
Upvote 0