• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

HoE: Remove spawn items completely?

Wouldn't the simplest solution to prevent spawn selling be change it so players who die during the trader time don't get to respawn until the next wave is over?

Drop weapons outside trader, give all your cash to a friend and die with 1 zed left to go.
You'll respawn next round, having (practically) lost the team no money, but with the same net gain.

I like the idea about spawning weapons costing nothing though.

Upvote 0
makes no sense to me

makes no sense to me

This whole thread makes no sense to me (i am NOT against it though). Not at all. I bet each one of You here plays HOE, and You are all successful. Since You all have skill, You don't need to suicide for money, and You and Your team can easily manage money You earn... so why would You be bothered if some glitchers did that? You are all above it.

I used to hate powerlevelers, but that changed - **** them. Even when they get lvl6, they have no skill/clue how play the game - all they have is golden ****.

If You need challenge, then spawn any class You want - use lvl6 weapon and dont sell it, or don't use it at all, and simply throw away. And if You are on Your own server or play with friends - just kick the exploiter - simple as that. No need for such changes. However if that got introduced, it could teach ppl to save ammo - and that would be sooooooo good!!! (I passionately loathe ammo wasters).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've already suggested once to make spawn items cost nothing. This could be applied on HoE only. So you just couldn't raise any money for anything you get for free (this could be applied also on items spawned on the map).

Even if spawn items cost nothing they are still valuable. Give an xbow or m79 to other members of the group.

I used to hate powerlevelers, but that changed - **** them. Even when they get lvl6, they have no skill/clue how play the game - all they have is golden ****.

I just ignore it as well. Same with welding. I don't like it, but just like the players who suicide to cheat, I don't say anything.

Drop weapons outside trader, give all your cash to a friend and die with 1 zed left to go.
You'll respawn next round, having (practically) lost the team no money, but with the same net gain.

Yup. Players will always think of a way to take advantage of the situation.

Upvote 0
Even if spawn items cost nothing they are still valuable. Give an xbow or m79 to other members of the group.

They're valuable, but to a limited extent. Apart from the sharp and Xbow, most of the weapons you spawn with either won't be used in a player's ideal loadout, or will be the smaller weapon in the ideal loadout (AK/SCAR, M79/M32 etc), so having that weapon will mean you'll still need to save up to buy the bigger weapon.
And if it were free, it removes the ability to suicide/sell, which IMHO is the bigger issue, since with that 'exploit', you can buy your ideal kit in maybe 2-3 waves without killing a single zed.

Upvote 0
Spawned weapons cost nothing, raise starting cash after wave 1 to 300, no cash refill or any weapons for those who die during trader time.

That way: late joiners are not screwed, no cash / weapon exploiting.

Wouldn't the simplest solution to prevent spawn selling be change it so players who die during the trader time don't get to respawn until the next wave is over?

Players still could just reconnect the server instead of killing themselves.

Upvote 0
You could have it, if a coder here can figure out how, that you only get one spawning weapon per perk per match.

I.e. you spawn as ****shooter for the Xbow, then you sell that and suicide. Congratulations, you've just spawned with nothing!
This is almost a genius idea, except..they can simply reconnect at the end of a wave and be given a new player instance, so tracking if they've already spawned with a weapon that game wouldn't be feasible.

Hypothetically, if you could track it (via steam ID maybe?) they would find another way around it.
Spoof ID. Use another account. Whatever.

...Or we could just leave it how it is, not gaining much.
The reason suiciding works is because the players already have a certain level of skill to play through the wave. They could do the same without spawn suiciding, so where is the issue?
Personally, I occasionally spawn suicide if I want to use the combat shotgun for example, because I feel it is over-priced.
I could play through the wave with the pump shotgun instead, but I want the over-priced combat shotgun for fun. It looks nice.

The same principle applies for just about any reason to spawn suicide.

Could also spawn suicide as demo or do the Handcannon trick to buy a lot of pipes so the demo can make a pretty picture with pipes for the patriarch wave.
For fun.
In my HoE experience, there is enough money in the game for several demos to stack the maximum amount of pipes to be useful (which is 14) on the pat wave without suiciding.

It is a luxury method some people use to enjoy the game more.
You don't have to use it. Patching it won't solve a fatal problem with the game. They can successfully complete HoE games without suiciding.

Consider the following chains of events:
  • Patch it -> They find a way around it, or move on to something else -> People complete HoE games
  • Don't patch it -> Your life doesn't end -> People complete HoE games
Now brb, enjoying some more KF.

Upvote 0
You could have it, if a coder here can figure out how, that you only get one spawning weapon per perk per match.

I.e. you spawn as ****shooter for the Xbow, then you sell that and suicide. Congratulations, you've just spawned with nothing!

Then the guy who is playing the game properly and dies while running with the knife on wave 8 gets screwed when he respawns. It isn't an easy fix.

The only fix I can think of is a sliding window of life. If someone dies within, for example, 2 minutes of their last death then they spawn with nothing. That way they just can't suicide to get a new weapon but if they die later in the wave then they'll respawn with a weapon. There are ways around that as well but the point is to make the exploit as annoying as possible without affecting other players.

Upvote 0
Then the guy who is playing the game properly and dies while running with the knife on wave 8 gets screwed when he respawns. It isn't an easy fix.

The only fix I can think of is a sliding window of life. If someone dies within, for example, 2 minutes of their last death then they spawn with nothing. That way they just can't suicide to get a new weapon but if they die later in the wave then they'll respawn with a weapon. There are ways around that as well but the point is to make the exploit as annoying as possible without affecting other players.

That's a great addition nutterbutter, and one of the reasons i posted it in the first place :)

I can't think of everything.

Upvote 0