• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Stacking damage weapon Idea.

Blockbot

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2011
yup I have no excact weapon Idea, but it just base Ideas of weapons. haven't figured any cool weapon which is built up like this.

I have 4 types of stacking Ideas.

1. stack DOT damage. (DOT = damage over time)

take for example the flamethrower, say it does 2damage per secounds with its afterburn effect over 10secounds. but if you where to shoot like 10shots at one specimen, it would do 20damage per secounds instead of only 2hp per secounds

2. you multiply DOT damage.

same as the idea above. only that you multiply the damage rather than stacking it.

by example: lets take the Husklauncher, say it does 6damage per secounds with its afterburn effect over 10secounds but if you where to shoot the specimen twice. the damage will be calculated by (2x2)x3=12 or if you where to shoot it 5times. it will be calculated like this (2x5)x3=90. ofc you can change the formula.

3. Multiply damage effect.

ok, for this I will be using pipe bombs as an example. say that pipebombs does 100 damage. but if you hit the same specimen with a secound pipebomb the attack will be multiply with 1.5 doing 150damage, and a third pipe bomb will do 200damage. making it a total 450damage instead of just 300 which 3 would done normally.

and it should also be a time frame aswell. if the pipes dont explode under example 3secounds. the damage wont be multiplied.

4. Combo ablity effect

Idea is that weapons are compitable with eachother. and if you use the right weapons you can unlock certain negative/positive effects on a specimen.

say example you are a squad of 3, and uses 1bulpup, 1ak and one 9mm. if you use this combination on weapons at one specimen. by using this combination the specimen will become example under the effect of "crippled" and move 25% slower.

Last edited:
To address the pipe bomb example first of all: Pipe bombs already deal insane amounts of damage, enough to kill anything almost under the patriarch in 1-2 direct hits. Making them deal increased amounts of damage when you stack them rather than decreased would seriously make them a patty-killer :S

Also, stacking DoT damage... the only weapon I can think of that deals DoT damage are fire weapons?
A L6 flamethrower deals 28 damage on hit to most zeds. But if you include the 10 second DoT, it'll deal about total 700 damage. Holding down the fire button fires it extremely fast, in maybe a couple of seconds, you'll use up 10 ammo units? Does that mean if you can shoot a fleshpound for a couple of seconds, then run like all hell, he'll take about 7000 damage (50% resistance) and die?

I think the problem is that DoTs are intended to be applied to a creature only one at a time, but being able to stack them with the figures that they are now would be INSANELY powerful.

I think the best we shuld hope for is that hitting a zed will refresh the DoT timer (ie. if you hit a zed with a flamethrower 9 seconds into a 10 second DoT atm, the DoT will end a second later).

The combo weapon effect I think would work only if you had fantastical weapons. ie. if you hit the fleshpound with the Ice Ray, then hit him with a rocket he'll take more damage. But as it is atm, bullets, melee, explosives, fire... there isn't really a reason for them to combine to be more powerful. (And no, adding Ice Rays to the game would suck)

Upvote 0
seriously make them a patty-killer :S

I agree, but I was just trying to explain what I ment with weapons that everyone is mostlikely familiar wit, so it was easier to understand. cuz I never seen weapon suggestions before with this kind of abilities. (stacking damage). it could be intresting seeing a few Ideas.

I'm still thinking about weapon possibilities but they aren't any good and they dont make much sense to me atleast.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Screw logic, but I think it would be cool if two firebug players could each deal their own DoT to specimens so burning damage would stack, but not per shot, but per player.
The way it is now firebugs have the potential to hit basically every ZED, so they're all burning, theoretically, and a second Firebug can't really do much to help.
To do more damage you have to hose specimens down and your ammo capacities just aren't built for that. A second firebug does almost nothing to alleviate this issue except provide more ammo so twice as many specimens can be hosed to death, basically. Still far from ideal.

If a second Firebug player could stack his own DoT damage on top though, he would be much more useful, effectively doubling a team's literal "fire"-power. Just as a second Commando or a second support or a second sharpshooter can be a real improvement for a team.

Upvote 0
Blockbot said:

ok, for this I will be using pipe bombs as an example. say that pipebombs does 100 damage. but if you hit the same specimen with a secound pipebomb the attack will be multiply with 1.5 doing 150damage, and a third pipe bomb will do 200damage. making it a total 450damage instead of just 300 which 3 would done normally.

and it should also be a time frame aswell. if the pipes dont explode under example 3secounds. the damage wont be multiplied.

This would make weapons like pipe bombs extremely OP. As Althamus pointed out, they already do a huge amount of damage. Being able to multiply that by just laying a bunch in the same spot would be ridiculous.

Also, this would pretty much negate the patch that made it so you couldn't one shot the Patriarch by stacking pipes (at least on higher difficulties). All I'd have to do is throw a bunch of pipes on my head, run up to that Pat and I'd be practically guaranteed to kill him no matter what difficulty I'm on or how many players there are.

In fact, I'd say all of your suggestions would make the weapons overpowered.

Upvote 0
1. stack DOT damage. (DOT = damage over time)

take for example the flamethrower, say it does 2damage per secounds with its afterburn effect over 10secounds. but if you where to shoot like 10shots at one specimen, it would do 20damage per secounds instead of only 2hp per secounds

I think for separate players this might work well (as mentioned it'd give more usefulness to having multiple firebugs) though it'd be too powerful implemented for one player.

2. you multiply DOT damage.

same as the idea above. only that you multiply the damage rather than stacking it.

Same problem as above, too powerful.

Having said that, it'd be interesting if certain burning specimens took extra damage from bullets, or that kind of idea.

When the pipe bombs were first implemented they did linear damage, but it was decided that when stacked together they were much too powerful, so they added an equation to scale damage down depending on how many pipe bombs exploded at one time. You're suggesting they do the opposite, and actually make it more unbalanced than it ever was.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Having said that, it'd be interesting if certain burning specimens took extra damage from bullets, or that kind of idea.

I believe when zeds turn 'crispy' (once the DoT finishes, 10 seconds after they first get hit by fire) they'll move slower and take increased damage from further attacks. However, on higher difficulties 10 seconds is too long to be of much use in most situations, and on lower difficulties most zeds die before th 10 second period ^_^

I'd be interested to know the mechanics of the extra damage though. If it was 'just' a simple "bodyshots count as headshots" as is the case with decapped zeds, it'd actually be pretty powerful, as sharps suddenly become insanely powerful (10 EBR headshots on a FP on HoE is pretty hard. 10 EBR bodyshots on a FP on HoE suddenly becomes the easiest thing ever).

And I'm now fantasising about using a MAC10+EBR (assuming MAC10 fired fire bullets offperk) when using my sharpshooter to kite. That would be wonderfully broken.

Upvote 0
Screw logic, but I think it would be cool if two firebug players could each deal their own DoT to specimens so burning damage would stack, but not per shot, but per player.
The way it is now firebugs have the potential to hit basically every ZED, so they're all burning, theoretically, and a second Firebug can't really do much to help.
To do more damage you have to hose specimens down and your ammo capacities just aren't built for that. A second firebug does almost nothing to alleviate this issue except provide more ammo so twice as many specimens can be hosed to death, basically. Still far from ideal.

If a second Firebug player could stack his own DoT damage on top though, he would be much more useful, effectively doubling a team's literal "fire"-power. Just as a second Commando or a second support or a second sharpshooter can be a real improvement for a team.

cool. maybe give visuals of stacking? like a blue flame and if there are 3 they have higher intensity to the flame?

lol sounds way better than the Ideas I had, won't be rambling any of this now. have anyone seen the "stagger-system" in final-fantasy XIII? I think that could might be maybe cool in kf aswell. give all specimen health boost, and then give them a potential "stagger?"

Upvote 0
^A whole lot of this. I'm always up for upgrading the current Firebug. Just seems... under-powered. Dealing damage over the course of 10 seconds sounds silly when most things can reach you or your team a whole lot faster than that =/

Upvote 0