• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Your opinion on kiting

Your opinion on kiting

• I am a strong, brave warrior, and I need not kite.

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • I personally think both defensive play and kiting are equally valuable.

Votes: 64 71.9%
  • omg kiting iz tha best gaise all u campers r n00bs

Votes: 8 9.0%

• Total voters

C_Gibby

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
Kiting is quite a topic in the land of the floor. Some people do it religiously. Some people absolutely loathe it. Some people go in and out of both kiting and defending.

I personally do not like kiting. I see it as somehow cheap and a little bit cowardly. Running away with your medic/zerk speed boost so zeds can't catch you, and picking them off one by one til the game ends, which often takes friggin' ages. It's so very different to making a stand against an onslaught of all sorts of nasties with absolutely no escape from them.

I will also admit that I have little in the way of kiting skills, so I don't do it. I think I am actually glad about that.

So what do you think about kiting? Feel free to post below and change my personal opinion. :IS2:

Reactions: Lacedaemonius
IMO no I dont think its cheap, its just a method, and a valuable one at that.

Its not cowardly, its smart. You are up against the masses, you want to win, you will do everything in your power to win, and in the harder modes the best way is to kite. Yeah it takes a long time sometimes, but it works.

Winning is winning no matter how you put it. As long as its not a glitch or exploit there is nothing wrong in it. KF wouldnt have the option to kite in it if it wasn't required.

Upvote 0
I think it depends. I'm trying to learn how to kite now, but I'm learning how to do it as a sharpshooter, which I'd say is more difficult than doing it as a berserker.

If the whole team has decided on doing that as a tactic, then fair enough. But two guys running off and leaving the rest of the team to try and defend kinda sucks.

I don't object to it as a tactic off the bat though.

Upvote 0
I don't write kiting off as a cheap tactic but I do find it extremely boring. Spending 75% of the game just running around and only being able to kill 3 ZEDs at a time and it just takes a ridiculously long time. I only do it if I have no other choice.

Holding your ground with a good team of mixed perks is a lot more fun IMO.

Upvote 0
I enjoy both, though I am partial to kiting thanks to ADD, and the fact that you don't need other players to survive.

I like to play more dangerously than other berserkers, though - I kill them as quickly as possible. The faster I kill and the longer the odds, the more fun I have. Most players try to limit themselves to prevent too many specimens from spawning ahead of them on the kiting route. I think they lack skill.

4:00-5:05:

Swords 0f the Stranger - YouTube

It's a good feel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Kiting a critical mass blob that is it at the zed spawn limit around the entire map, picking off a handful at a time to prevent new zeds from spawning and blocking your path is boring.

Sitting at the end of a long hallway left clicking as zeds come through the door is boring.

A mixture of both using the welding tool to hold areas for an indefinite amount of time is where the fun is at. It's hard to pull off with randoms, but it's possible if you use your mic and coordinate. You may not always win without a solid group of good players, but even in losing it's still more fun than either alternative.

Upvote 0
kiting is only fun when you're doing it as a perk other than medic/zerker, i love kiting demo, FP somes along? no problem, zerk starts kiting it, i sneak in lay a pipe, then chuck a hand grenade and fire an m79 shell and he's off to space. my favorite matches are when you're camping wave 10, your line breaks from incohesion or just plain bad luck, and you are forced to make a retreat through madness to finish off the round :D

Upvote 0
Everyone has their preference. I'm not the biggest fan of kiting due to the amount of time it takes. That's the main reason I don't join servers that are on Mountain Pass or Suburbia. :\

At the same time, I can see how sitting in a room/ hallway pointing at a doorway would be just as boring to others. But, despite my dislike of it, it's fun to be a zerker/ medic in an all kiting game. One in a long while. xD

Upvote 0
meh, on the fence on this one. As a die hard medic the only time I kite is when I'm the last one standing. And if it's over 100zeds I ask if the team wants me to just let the zeds get me.

On maps like farm and mountain pass we often kite as a team but truth be told I'm more of a fan of the hold up in a secure location and peg it when the proverbial hits the fan. the only time it becomes truly boring is when there is no danger of being overrun.

Upvote 0
I main zerker but I don't like kiting, sometimes it's unavoidable though if the rest of the team is wiped.

Kiting as a team is different, it can be fun running with the other players if it's been agreed that's how we're going to play.

I don't like any zerker that runs off from the team playing Rambo then suddenly appears when they're low on health with 2 million zeds and 25 fleshpounds behind them, slight exaggeration ;)

Upvote 0
Zerker Kiting

Zerker Kiting

As a keen lover of the bezerker class - killing the specimens at their own gain and feeling like some sort of unstoppable killing machine using a sword - I cannot deny that I enjoy charging in alone. This has the benefit of drawing away a good amount of specimens from the team and means that I can kill the creatures without expending any money on ammunition.

Below is my usual plan of action when playing as a Zerk (I don't really kite as a medic) detailing my opinion of Kiting is explain my opinion upon it:

Spoiler!

If the whole team is wiped out at any time, I will resort to 'kiting' to assure victory. If the team is on wave ten, then it is generally a shame not to try and win the battle, even that means expending a deal of time to acquire a win.

Generally fleeing away for your team is fend for themselves is foolish. You are removing the strength of numbers and endangering yourself and the team, especially to the zeds such as Fleshpounds and Scrakes that can and will wipe teams.

KF wouldnt have the option to kite in it if it wasn't required.
This I agree with. Any being last man standing builds up a great deal of adrenaline and general enjoyment to be the last man facing the horde with only a 9mm and a sharp instrument. A good specimen for custom servers are the Shivers and Brute who can deal with any pesky kiters that use the same plan on every match.

And if it's over 100zeds I ask if the team wants me to just let the zeds get me.
This is an ideal solution if the zerker is on a large map and knows it will require a degree of time to finish the wave. Alot of the time the zerker simply dies after spending ten minutes killing only a handful of mutants.

Kiting as a team also never works. It always ends up with someone in tears (another on fire) and people constantly blaming each other. I personally think there should only be one zerker on a server at one time to reduce the chance of excessive kiting or a team that splits off to kite when human faeces hits the fan. LOLCOPTER.

But as long as Kiting isn't used excessively or to the extreme, it is...okay. A zerker should be charging in, not fleeing with his his tail in-between his legs.

At the same time I despise camping, hence when I run off so much with my Claymore in hand, yelling "FREEEEEDOM!"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
lol wait. when I kite. I usually kite with demo. he does the same job just in half the amount of time.

I find the demo infact waaayyyy easier to kite with if you have the m32 along with LAR and pipes.

demo can insta kill husks and siren easily with 2headshots with lar. or 1 nade along with m32 bang. or any other specimen.... if you are close to get overrunned from all sides. you just easily jump 2-3times while you do a 360 with the m32. and ur free...

ofc and if you get a fp or scrake behind you. you just easily drop down a pipe then run away with the knife...

there only one thing that you should have in mind while kiting with demo. and that is no to empty your entier m32 mag at once... just use one and one nade. else you will get wiped faster then a pizza on a teenageparthey :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0