• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF Killing Floor : Calamity launches on Steam? When?

I dont' get that gif you posted. I don't know how common that was. But yeah, from day one I had no problems.

Also you seem so set on it being a failed console just because of some poor sales. What is your yard stick? Other consoles? Smartphones? Electronics in general? I read an somewhere that said a number of developers are turning a profit, not a huge amount of money, but a profit none the less.

I won't complain at a steam release, it's not that I feel it should be an OYUA exclusive. I just don't understand why you are so vocal about it. Were you one of the people that had trouble with their OUYA and feel slighted by it?

Upvote 0
Arblarg's question could really be broken down to "Why does this game exist?"

At the end of the day, what platform TWI develops for is kind of irrelevant. They're an independent developer and, because of that fact, I'm assuming they did this because it looked interesting. Not because they were pressured to. They decided on a gameplan (pun) that they would enjoy developing for.

As long as they enjoyed developing the game and the final product is solid, I don't think it matters what platform it's for.

In my personal opinion, I'm not particularly interested in the OUYA and, sure, I'm somewhat upset I won't be able to play this game (probably? you haven't said whether or not you're releasing it on Steam). But meh, I've missed tons of games because of their console exclusivity, it's nothing to cry about now.

Also, I see where Arblarg's coming from. This game could flop. But, as Ramm-Jaeger said, they're aware of the risk. I think it's safe to assume TWI isn't expecting all the gold in the world to just going to roll in. :p

Upvote 0

At the end of the day, what platform TWI develops for is kind of irrelevant. They're an independent developer and, because of that fact, I'm assuming they did this because it looked interesting. Not because they were pressured to. They decided on a gameplan (pun) that they would enjoy developing for.

As long as they enjoyed developing the game and the final product is solid, I don't think it matters what platform it's for.

In my personal opinion, I'm not particularly interested in the OUYA and, sure, I'm somewhat upset I won't be able to play this game (probably? you haven't said whether or not you're releasing it on Steam). But meh, I've missed tons of games because of their console exclusivity, it's nothing to cry about now.

Also, I see where Arblarg's coming from. This game could flop. But, as Ramm-Jaeger said, they're aware of the risk. I think it's safe to assume TWI isn't expecting all the gold in the world to just going to roll in. :p

Well said, if they can afford it then the only reason they should need is a personal favourite of mine. "Because I can."

Upvote 0
Surprising, someone showing a sense of entitlement on the internet.

Seriously, they have supported killing floor more than most developers support their games. Numerous patches and updates over the years and much of it free. I've been around since Killing Floor was a mod and am thrilled it is still going strong. A sequel would be nice but until then they were able to get another developer to bring us this side game. It may be exclusive to Ouya for a little while but consider Ouya a testing ground for the game or something like steam greenlight. If people like it they might bring it to steam and add online play. However, with only local multiplayer they may be hesitant to bring it to steam.

Anyway, I quite like my Ouya. It's open enough that I get similar functionality to a pc though of course not as powerful. Lots of games, emulators, and xbmc make it versatile. There were issues at launch but so much has changed since then. There haven't been as many articles about Ouya recently but I have a feeling future articles are going to be more positive. There are other articles that have mentioned devs making some money off their games and show sales as not being bad overall. Most reviews of the similar gamestick have pointed to Ouya being the better console.

I appreciate Tripwire supporting Ouya and taking a chance on it. It's also nice to know that another developer handled the game so it's not taking up much resources for the company. I see this as a winning situation for everyone. Towerfall started as an Ouya exclusive and after gaining visibility and adding content is now coming to pc and ps4. I have a feeling a similar thing is going to happen with this game. Just be patient and enjoy all the updates you've gotten on the main killing floor game.

Upvote 0
Reading comprehension experts : the thread.

The title of the thread is Steam release when.

The other thing is I have nothing against the gameplay aspect of calamity what so ever. My bout is entirely about the selected medium to distribute it. I just want to know when it is going to reach the core audience and better distributing platform, if ever. If somebody could answer that, I would be extremely grateful.

Lastly - my question would better be defined as 'why does the ouya exist?'. Simply stated, there is no good reason. For more information as to why it shouldn't please refer to any of the articles in my previous posts, or previous posts themselves. Again, this isn't about the gameplay of calamity, its about its method of distribution.

Once more, with gusto - Steam release when?
I am not the only person interested in the answer to this.

Upvote 0

Yes that is the title but the op, whoever that is, started right in to talking about nothing but how the very existence of Ouya was a threat to his manhood so the conversation went that way. If you have a paragraph that talks 98% about Ouya and then the last sentence says "oh btw what about Steam?" I think most people will focus on the wrong topic.

Honestly I came on here to talk about the new game to see what others think and ask the devs some questions but at this point I am heading to a forum that does not bash consoles and devs but talks about the game lol.

Upvote 0
Once more, with gusto - Steam release when?
I am not the only person interested in the answer to this.

Hell, be patient they well tell us if it is time. The game (KFC) was programmed using the Unity engine, which should make a PC port relatively easy. I personally have no doubt about a PC version of this game (they hinted at that in the past, re-watch that interview from this convention MODSonair PAX Prime 2013 - Killing Floor Calamity Interview - YouTube).

And OUYA exists because of kickstarter and a big bunch of people who thought it would be a great thing. Apparently TWI thinks the OUYA is great, I never played on an OUYA but I have my reasons to disagree with them. Simply consider this "exclusive" release on OUYA as a test for the game and the OUYA. The game will come to PC (I bet) and when it does the PC version will be more polished, have more content (more maps?), better tech (more enemies on the screen) and more features (4 player Coop instead of just 2). The wait will be worth it.

Stop giving so much crap at TWI for making this game and not (yet?) announcing Killing Floor 2.

Upvote 0

If you're going to threadcap discussion by dragging everything back to this question let's just save you some time and state "You will not get an answer to this question via this thread" so that you can move on with your life.

Upvote 0
Yes that is the title but the op, whoever that is, started right in to talking about nothing but how the very existence of Ouya was a threat to his manhood so the conversation went that way. If you have a paragraph that talks 98% about Ouya and then the last sentence says "oh btw what about Steam?" I think most people will focus on the wrong topic.
Perhaps, but even still it was a simple question which I felt was reinforced by my reasoning against going ouya. If it were already on steam, or announced for steam, I wouldn't have to make a complaint about the ouya. Ouya is not a threat to me, but I feel bad for anybody that backed it and believed. Semi decent (albeit too late for its time) idea, with horrendous execution once it was made available to the public.

Honestly I came on here to talk about the new game to see what others think and ask the devs some questions but at this point I am heading to a forum that does not bash consoles and devs but talks about the game lol.
Its still relevant to this board. There are 3 other threads on this board specifically related to the game itself. My thread involves the issue of it not being where the core fans of tripwire interactive can access it.

If you're going to threadcap discussion by dragging everything back to this question let's just save you some time and state "You will not get an answer to this question via this thread" so that you can move on with your life.
Thank you. The most straight forward, non convolouted answer I've seen from anybody tripwire in a while. More like this please.

However, even then, is it wrong to discuss my disdain for the platform choice for calamity? I'm not alone in my opinions - as seen in :
Spoiler!

Upvote 0
Last I checked, none of your games surpass 7000 daily users on a good day, during an event and on a weekend. Its nice that KF sold nearly 2M copies, but regardless of that many sales, it holds about as many players as does an old person on furosemide holds fluid.

Now, if you actually observed more closely, you'd notice that the game has more players on a daily basis than it did 3-4 years ago. It gets past 7,000 every single day - hasn't been below 7,000 pretty much since launch. You're probably confusing that with concurrent users, which is a different number (probably by an order of magnitude) to daily total users.

It may be exclusive to Ouya for a little while but consider Ouya a testing ground for the game or something like steam greenlight. If people like it they might bring it to steam and add online play.

Bingo :)

Hell, be patient they well tell us if it is time.

Yup. And not before.

My thread involves the issue of it not being where the core fans of tripwire interactive can access it.

Hmmm... have you considered (a) that quite of lot of people who got the OUYA through Kickstarter are hard-core gamers - a large percentage of them on PC and (b) pushing a Killing Floor game out to people who don't know us just might attract their attention?

Upvote 0
Now, if you actually observed more closely, you'd notice that the game has more players on a daily basis than it did 3-4 years ago. It gets past 7,000 every single day - hasn't been below 7,000 pretty much since launch. You're probably confusing that with concurrent users, which is a different number (probably by an order of magnitude) to daily total users.
Unless these numbers lie, I haven't seen >7000 since summer 2013. If you have some sort of dev specific stat logging that supersedes Steams, then so be it.

Hmmm... have you considered (a) that quite of lot of people who got the OUYA through Kickstarter are hard-core gamers - a large percentage of them on PC and (b) pushing a Killing Floor game out to people who don't know us just might attract their attention?
a) Judging by how many steam users there are that don't even know what the ouya is, I doubt that. Also by judging what a hardcore PC user is I especially doubt that.
b) Ok. But if you want to attract their attention you're going to get it regardless of wether you release solely on ouya, or on ouya and steam. You have effectively 3 kinds of users. 1 - Ouya only who finds KFC, 2 - Ouya and Steam who now own or owned both KFC and KF, 3 - Steam only who now own or have owned KF.

Regardless, all you've done is cut off your core fanbase from accessing the game. As could be seen in the picture I made (which is a compilation from the announcement threads of KFC), most people are asking for a steam port, or asking why is it on the ouya or what even IS the ouya. I really doubt very many people that you claim are hardcore PC users are going to buy an ouya simply because they know how to computer. Even with a 40% discount off the thing I don't think your fanbase wants it, not for one game.

Upvote 0
Unless these numbers lie, I haven't seen >7000 since summer 2013. If you have some sort of dev specific stat logging that supersedes Steams, then so be it.

Those are CONCURRENT users, not hourly, daily or any other sort of totals. As a matter of interest, the last time the CONCURRENT player numbers crossed 7,000 was 27 October 2013. Peak CONCURRENT players in the summer event was just over 21,000. The first time it crossed 7,000 players was 22 October 2009, interestingly. So, 4 years on, we are generating more peak players than we ever were. Life in the old dog yet. [For DAILY TOTAL uniques, which is what I understood you were on about, multiply roughly by 8-10x]

But how did we get into this discussion? Oh yes - a question about "when on Steam". Which we've answered as much as we're going to at this time.

Upvote 0
Just recently (like yesterday) I heard of this OUYA, and I'd have to agree, it sounds like a bad business move overall, and to me, it isn't very interesting in terms of a 'revolution in gaming'. Many people don't even know what an OUYA is, and those who know, a decent percentage of them do not want them. In the end TWI, I'm only concern and don't want ya suffering, that's all. If you can port this game easily to PC, and do so without much hassle in the money department, you'll know where my wad will be whapping at.

THE PC COUNTER!

Upvote 0
OK OP, you don't like the OUYA, we get it!

But bear in mind, TWI makes their own decision and their decision is final. If you don't like it, you're going to have grin and bear it!

I actually endorse TWI's commitment to the OUYA and their ability to take risks, too many companies these days stick to the spreadsheets and the tired and true. Look at Activision, every 3rd party they hire is forced to make stupid CoD knockoffs, and if anything even looks like it's going downhill, boo, closer. TWI on the other hand sticks to their guns and if the make mistakes, they accept the responsibility and learn from their mistakes.

During the announcement on the OUYA, TWI said that they would make an OUYA exclusive, and they made an OUYA exclusive!

Upvote 0
Am I the only one who has thought about buying an OUYA just to play Calamity? After all, I'll put some trust on that tiny grey cube. An alternative console, it's just that. Plus, if I will be able to have fun with it, I'll laugh in face of my friends who bought PS4 and Xbox One during day one spending 5 time the money I spent. Grafic is not everything to me, so I can deal with that.

Upvote 0