• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF Killing Floor : Calamity launches on Steam? When?

Arblarg

Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2012
Illinois, U.S.
Whoever thought developing solely for the Ouya was a good idea really needs to reconsider their marketing strategies.

[url]http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/22/ouya-game-developers-sound-off-on-sales-numbers/[/URL]
[url]http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/22/ouya-developers-reveal-modest-sales[/URL]
[url]http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/devs-look-back-at-four-months-of-ouya-sales...-and-its-not-pretty[/URL]

When, if ever, are we going to see a steam port for this? I really hope you guys at tripwire know that Ouya sales are completely abysmal. You would be lucky to break even on the sales of a Ouya only version.

Sales aside - why would you completely ignore your core fan base, which is on Steam? I know I'm not alone in this opinion, just take a look at the thread in news / announcements here on the forums. Look at the KF game hub on steam announcements.

A solid answer here would be nice. Is there any possibility whatsoever that there will be a steam version of Calamity?

If not, I'm really sorry for your loss here TWI.
You have really
Spoiler!

Sorry you feel that way. And we're not "ignoring" anyone. We're trying out new channels, new platforms. If devs like us DON'T support new platforms, especially those produced by people taking a huge gamble - INDEPENDENT people taking a huge gamble - then those gambles on new platforms have no chance.

And who said "solely for OUYA" anyway?

Upvote 0
The ouya never had any chance. It was dead on arrival. They weren't allowed into E3 and they were kicked off the parking lot. There was no gamble, the cards had already been played. It was a losing hand. People have tablets for that kind of gaming. The ouya has no market and nobody to market to.

Nobody said exclusively for Ouya, you're right. But I asked the question of when can we expect to see a steam release? I don't just speak for myself in this question. It is everywhere there is an announcement of this game by numerous people. We just want to know because the actual ouya owners are going to be about as vocal as Helen Keller. Nobody wants to admit they believed and bought one.

It just seems apparent to me this was a exclusive or limited time exclusive based on the fact you can get a 40% off the ouya by putting in a promo code related to the game.

So with that said and I re-iterate : Steam release when?

Upvote 0
Um? I bought an OUYA, and I really like it. Ok I might be in a minority but there you have it. It's a cheap affordable party console, a tablet is not.
First off, I would like to apologize for your misfortune. Onto the next part -

Why would anybody want to play android games at a party? They probably have more interesting games on their personal smart phones, which everybody already has. The problem with the ouya is that it doesn't improve on anything that people already have or have access to. Theres just no reason for the ouya to exist and I truly feel sorry for the people that pumped money into it for the kick starter.

The fact that they're trying to sell the thing off at almost half its price is because they're trying to eliminate stock with at least some profit turned.

Also, I made this for fun.
Spoiler!

Also, still persisting, steam release when.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry? What misfortune? I'd understand if I had bought it and had problems or didn't like it. But since launch it's been nothing but fun.

And yes, it's a party console, it's small and easy to take over a friends. Get several of you playing some of the games on it and it's amazing fun. Ice Rage and Towerfall come to mind. Cost me less then $10 all told for both.

Ok, it's better with friends then on your own (same could be said about KF on PC for that matter)

Peoples personal smart phones might have more interesting titles. Yet I've not come across an easy way to plug a smart phone into a TV with 4 (or more controllers) and play party games.

Also with the E3 parking lot thing. E3 tried to kick them off but couldn't as they had their papers in order. So E3 parked a trailer in front of them to block peoples view, so OUYA rented the space in front of that. A bit silly but there you go. E3 shouldn't have been so finicky in the first place.

As for a Steam release, how long is a piece of string? You know how TWI is with questions like that.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry? What misfortune? I'd understand if I had bought it and had problems or didn't like it. But since launch it's been nothing but fun.

And yes, it's a party console, it's small and easy to take over a friends. Get several of you playing some of the games on it and it's amazing fun. Ice Rage and Towerfall come to mind. Cost me less then $10 all told for both.

Ok, it's better with friends then on your own (same could be said about KF on PC for that matter)

Peoples personal smart phones might have more interesting titles. Yet I've not come across an easy way to plug a smart phone into a TV with 4 (or more controllers) and play party games.

Also with the E3 parking lot thing. E3 tried to kick them off but couldn't as they had their papers in order. So E3 parked a trailer in front of them to block peoples view, so OUYA rented the space in front of that. A bit silly but there you go. E3 shouldn't have been so finicky in the first place.

As for a Steam release, how long is a piece of string? You know how TWI is with questions like that.

Couldn't agree with you more my friend. My Ouya is the funnest console I owned in years. Still want this on steam too but loving it on my Ouya!

Upvote 0
blablabla, blablablabla! Blablablablablabla...blablah.

Misfortune.

Ah.

I would like to apologize for the misfortune of people that bought next-gen systems, came WITHOUT good games: 400/500 dollars/euros... for...what?

1) I have a very good PC.
2) I have a Wii U.
3) I have an Ouya.

*I play great third party games on my PC.
*I play Nintendo exclusives on Wii U.
*I play pretty cool indie games on Ouya (Bomb Squad, Neon Shadow, Fist of Awesome, Clark, KF:Calamity, Inferno+, etc.), AND some emulated games (because if you dont know, emulators are on Ouya ;) )

No misfortune on me. Ouya is a different thing, you can't compare it with other consoles, nor with a smartphone.
Smartphone games suffer of terrible touch controls, and plays on a small screen. Some of these games deserves more... like a big TV and a joypad, and a proper user interface, and so on.
OUYA is a small "99 dollars console", and I can't understand why people is giving **** to it.

I would say a thing: Ouya is **** IF Ouya lacks of games.
When Ouya gets good games (like the ones I talked about), when Ouya takes Killing Floor Calamity as a (temporary?) exclusive, then Ouya starts to attract.

I bought Wii U for Mario 3D World, not for the hardware.
Consoles deserve to be bought for the games.
Ouya is improving its games.

Said that, I MUST say a thing:

I "PRETEND" KILLING FLOOR 2 ON PC!!! C'mon!! :D
KF:C is good for a fast couch gaming on a TV, but for me (played more than 300 hours on KF on PC in the first years) the MUST HAVE is KF2.

Happy play to you all, even though if you play on a (micro)console, or a PC.

Spoiler!

Also, still persisting, steam release when.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0
Some companies lead, and some follow. Some people are only fans of the "sure thing" - they root for the Yankees, they buy stock in Activision and EA, they buy every Call of Duty game before the review even comes out. Well that's not Tripwire. In 2002 we decided to make a WWII game with the Germans and the Russians before it became the "cool thing to do". In 2005 we decided to take a chance on this new thing called Steam, although conventional wisdom said find a publisher and put our games on the store shelves. In 2008 we decided to take a Zombie mod called Killing Floor commercial using an aging game engine when conventional wisdom told us that was crazy, and noone knew zombie games were going to be the next big thing. See, at Tripwire we're not afraid to step outside the box and try something different. Maybe Calamity will be the killer app that Ouya has been waiting for. Either way you never win big by betting on the sure thing - you win big by taking the risks that no one else will. That's Tripwire, and that's how we roll.

Reactions: QuantizedAnson
Upvote 0
No offense, but arblarg while I agree with you on a lot of stuff, you're making an *** out of yourself. TWI has continually updated KF (I may or may not agree with the update but they're updating it). They're taking a risk with this, they're not doing the same old same old. They're no forcing anyone to play or like this. If all you're going to do is to complain about it (aka not provide constructive criticism) , especially without buying or playing it, dude, just keep it to yourself.

Upvote 0
While I don't really mind about you guys working on KF on other consoles, I think there should at least be more bug fixes and more development on this game than working on RO2 (which is not really getting TWI anywhere to be honest, and the Developers and the VP or President of TWI can refute my statement with some proof). This game is what's getting TWI to higher places, focusing on RO2 or some other things won't work out. TWI is more known for Killing Floor than RO2 nowadays.

Back to my main point, it would be great if we can focus more on listening to players on balancing the game and the modding community on how to fix some of the bugs (a good number of which has been outstanding for at least 2 years, if I remember correctly). In addition, I've began to notice that new free content is pretty much non-existant (in terms of new weapons, maybe perks) and that pretty much everything new has been paid content. With all due respect, the choice to make money off of some premium content is, of course, supposed to be so, but the method to get more players into this game (from my point of view as a server owner and as a player) is to focus more development on your main flagship game, not the game that the Developers enjoy and care more, i.e. updating the game, or developing a new one (which costs a lot of money, but it's a good investment from what has been going on so far with this game).

Upvote 0
Some companies lead, and some follow. Some people are only fans of the "sure thing" - they root for the Yankees, they buy stock in Activision and EA, they buy every Call of Duty game before the review even comes out. Well that's not Tripwire. In 2002 we decided to make a WWII game with the Germans and the Russians before it became the "cool thing to do". In 2005 we decided to take a chance on this new thing called Steam, although conventional wisdom said find a publisher and put our games on the store shelves. In 2008 we decided to take a Zombie mod called Killing Floor commercial using an aging game engine when conventional wisdom told us that was crazy, and noone knew zombie games were going to be the next by thing. See, at Tripwire we're not afraid to step outside the box and try something different. Maybe Calamity will be the killer app that Ouya has been waiting for. Either way you never win big by betting on the sure thing - you win big by taking the risks that no one else will. That's Tripwire, and that's how we roll.

I have a ton of respect for you guys because of this. I'm glad you took the chance on the OUYA. It's great to see developers supporting such an open platform.

Upvote 0
Misfortune.

Ah.

I would like to apologize for the misfortune of people that bought next-gen systems, came WITHOUT good games: 400/500 dollars/euros... for...what?
Indeed, however I feel no remorse for those that blindly bought the bone or nogames4. The 'next gen' is a lie.

1) I have a very good PC.
2) I have a Wii U.
3) I have an Ouya.
Go you.

*I play great third party games on my PC.
*I play Nintendo exclusives on Wii U.
*I play pretty cool indie games on Ouya (Bomb Squad, Neon Shadow, Fist of Awesome, Clark, KF:Calamity, Inferno+, etc.), AND some emulated games (because if you dont know, emulators are on Ouya ;) )
Because emulation is legal and should totally be a selling point for a supercharged cell phone. :rolleyes:

No misfortune on me. Ouya is a different thing, you can't compare it with other consoles, nor with a smartphone.
You're right, it can't compare because its stuck in a void between both where it doesn't have enough pro's and too little cons of either other platform to make it stand out.

Smartphone games suffer of terrible touch controls, and plays on a small screen. Some of these games deserves more... like a big TV and a joypad, and a proper user interface, and so on.
OUYA is a small "99 dollars console", and I can't understand why people is giving **** to it.
Because its not a console. As mentioned above, it does neither enough good or bad of either of the things it aspires to be to set it apart and make it worth while.

I would say a thing: Ouya is **** IF Ouya lacks of games.
When Ouya gets good games (like the ones I talked about), when Ouya takes Killing Floor Calamity as a (temporary?) exclusive, then Ouya starts to attract.
I really doubt very many people are going to buy an ouya solely for calamity.

I bought Wii U for Mario 3D World, not for the hardware.
Consoles deserve to be bought for the games.
Ouya is improving its games.
Exclusives should not be a thing in the year 2014.

Some companies lead, and some follow. Some people are only fans of the "sure thing" - they root for the Yankees, they buy stock in Activision and EA, they buy every Call of Duty game before the review even comes out.
While I hate the CoD series in general, that is what those fans like and enjoy. They buy it every year because they love lapping up the same thing and while I despise them for that very reason, that is their choice. EA/Activision gets the 'quality' their fans want out of their games every year. While they disappoint to anybody with taste, they seldom disappoint their core fans of that series.

Well that's not Tripwire. In 2002 we decided to make a WWII game with the Germans and the Russians before it became the "cool thing to do". In 2005 we decided to take a chance on this new thing called Steam, although conventional wisdom said find a publisher and put our games on the store shelves. In 2008 we decided to take a Zombie mod called Killing Floor commercial using an aging game engine when conventional wisdom told us that was crazy, and noone knew zombie games were going to be the next by thing.
Thats great, but where are you now and where are you heading? Last I checked, none of your games surpass 7000 daily users on a good day, during an event and on a weekend. Its nice that KF sold nearly 2M copies, but regardless of that many sales, it holds about as many players as does an old person on furosemide holds fluid. Alien swarm on a desolate cell phone isn't advancing the market, its continuing an IV drip into the dead body that is the ouya.

See, at Tripwire we're not afraid to step outside the box and try something different.
Theres stepping outside of the box when theres solid ground outside of the box. Then theres this, stepping out of the box only to fall into a void.

Maybe Calamity will be the killer app that Ouya has been waiting for.
fThis thread was less about calamity itself and more its selected medium for distribution. It actually wasn't even about that, it was about the likelyhood of a steam port and when. You're right though, maybe Calamity is the best thing to happen to the ouya, for all 3 of its owners. The ouya hasn't caught on yet and it will not any time in the forseeable future.

Either way you never win big by betting on the sure thing - you win big by taking the risks that no one else will. That's Tripwire, and that's how we roll.
So is that where all the money for KF has been going? To the scrawny beat up horse at the betting track? Because that sure is a risk nobody else wants to take and for good reason.

This whole thing is not directed at calamity itself. Merely its selected medium for distribution. The Ouya was DoA. There is no saving it and its never going to go anywhere. While I fully support open source things, ouya just isn't the answer. It might have worked in 2005, but its 2013 now.

No offense, but arblarg while I agree with you on a lot of stuff, you're making an *** out of yourself. TWI has continually updated KF (I may or may not agree with the update but they're updating it). They're taking a risk with this, they're not doing the same old same old. They're no forcing anyone to play or like this. If all you're going to do is to complain about it (aka not provide constructive criticism) , especially without buying or playing it, dude, just keep it to yourself.
This isn't about the gameplay of calamity. Its about the medium by which the game is distributed. As already said, this thread wasn't even about that. It was about the potential for a steam release of calamity.

There is no 'risk' involved for developing on the ouya. The ouya has no place in gaming and its current market status shows this. It was dead out of the box and should have been left to rot.

But 'thanks for believing'.

Upvote 0
Thats great, but where are you now and where are you heading? Last I checked, none of your games surpass 7000 daily users on a good day, during an event and on a weekend. Its nice that KF sold nearly 2M copies, but regardless of that many sales, it holds about as many players as does an old person on furosemide holds fluid. Alien swarm on a desolate cell phone isn't advancing the market, its continuing an IV drip into the dead body that is the ouya.

Theres stepping outside of the box when theres solid ground outside of the box. Then theres this, stepping out of the box only to fall into a void.

This thread was less about calamity itself and more its selected medium for distribution. It actually wasn't even about that, it was about the likelihood of a steam port and when. You're right though, maybe Calamity is the best thing to happen to the ouya, for all 3 of its owners. The ouya hasn't caught on yet and it will not any time in the foreseeable future.

This whole thing is not directed at calamity itself. Merely its selected medium for distribution. The Ouya was DoA. There is no saving it and its never going to go anywhere. While I fully support open source things, ouya just isn't the answer. It might have worked in 2005, but its 2013 now.

You realize OUYA raised over $5,000,000 on Kickstarter, right? That's hardly DoA, and since it's a crowd-funded project, if there wasn't a market it wouldn't exist.

This isn't about the gameplay of calamity. Its about the medium by which the game is distributed. As already said, this thread wasn't even about that. It was about the potential for a steam release of calamity.

While I'd love to see a Steam release, I agree with larkstongue42 here. You're making an *** out of yourself.

Upvote 0
You realize OUYA raised over $5,000,000 on Kickstarter, right? That's hardly DoA, and since it's a crowd-funded project, if there wasn't a market it wouldn't exist.
If only you could realize how wrong that is.
I really implore you to read a couple of these articles.
The kickstarter success by no figment of the imagination shows its actual success upon release. Not even close, in fact.

Also be sure to see -

While I'd love to see a Steam release, I agree with larkstongue42 here. You're making an *** out of yourself.
This thread isn't about ad hominem or specifics regarding my personality. I'm vocal and proud of it. These things need to be said.

Upvote 0
I'll definitely read them.

This thread isn't about ad hominem or specifics regarding my personality. I'm vocal and proud of it. These things need to be said.

I know you are. But this just seems a bit excessive. Keep in mind I agree about a Steam release, but that's TWI's prerogative. Maybe my opinion will change.

Upvote 0