• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC When launching game after credits I get black screen with music playing.

cloudshear

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 18, 2019
When launching game after the credits I get a black screen with music playing.It has been happening Since Christmas update. If I launch with a VPN everything works fine.If I log out and then disconnect the VPN then relaunch the game it goes back to black screen with music.I have this problem on all 5 pcs in my house.They all will only work with the VPN.No other game I play on steam has this problem.

There is no bugsplat at all.I Have to reboot my pc to get out of the black screen.

CORE I7 3770

Nvidia Geforce 960

Windows 10

16gigs ddr3

Satellite ISP

VPN used Windscribe free

This seems to be some kind of Authentication problem.During the Halloween 2018 update I had to start the game with a VPN to get the event to activate on my game but I only had to do it once then I could launch without the VPN the rest of that event.

I tried the new beta that is available on steam right now but it does not fix the problem either.

There is a whole thread about this on the steam forums.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/232090/discussions/1/1743353798901874669/

link to video of problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB0JAIahNfE

Thanks for any help really want to play with my wife and kids.

As the 9 pages of the old thread you linked show, it is a problem with specific Internet Service Providers (since specific game/steam update) and their hardware (router). Maybe trying to contact your ISP can also be a good starting point because I can see people complaining in the other thread, raging about TWI but just a handful of people gave what was asked (computer specs AND ESPECIALLY I.S.P. used) and obviously the network side for this issue is the most valuable information to help track and fix the issue. Yeah I read all 9 pages of the thread. So yeah, maybe see on your ISP side if nothing can be done/looked at.

Maybe TWI can do something about it by reversing changes they did or doing things another way (but apparently since halloween/christmas event they didn't), but the most logical thing for me is to do something on client side in priority because from everything I read on the topic, the problem is on the user end.

Maybe TWI could also provide a detailed list of ports/services/whatever required on user end for the game to properly work, that may help fixing problematic routers by maybe reconfiguring something there.

But in my opinion since this problem exists, and from what we can see with issues not fixed in priority because not bringing money back to TWI if fixed, I would not wait for an official answer to your issue.

Upvote 0
I already realized it was being caused by certain ISPs mainly satellite and some cell companies. I think quite a few were non US ISPs as well. But I'm sure you know as well as I do an ISP is not going to make changes to their service for a single game when 1000s of other games are all working fine.That comes down to the game devs to figure out what they changed and fix it.I know I have over 300 steam games that all work just fine on my ISP and this one was working great as well until that update.

As far as it not being a money stream for them it is going to lose them cash when all the people not being able to play aren't buying skins and new characters.Not to mention the bad word of mouth from those affected(the old customer service motto one angry customer tells 10 of their friends who tell 10 of their friends so forth and so forth.) I know until its fixed I won't be purchasing anything else from them. And in the end it's probably effecting a lot more folks then who have posted.

But I understand where you are coming from I was hoping maybe they just hadn't become completely aware of the problem since a lot of devs stop using the steam forums after they become successful. I think I'll post a link to this thread in the Steam forum and see if everyone will re-post the specs with ISP info.

Thanks for taking the time to read the Steam forums and offer advice here as well.I appreciate it.

Upvote 0