• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC A couple of crashing bugs

Insert Name Here

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2015
Category: Editor

Reproducibility: Always?

Summary: Using certain date formats crashes the editor (haven't tried this with the game).

Description: Recently, I changed my Windows date format to a custom one, "d Mmm yyyy", using spaces (e.g. today would be "6 Jan 2019"). When I tried to launch the editor, it crashed with this error in the log:

Spoiler!

I'm not sure if this is due to the spaces, but when I changed my date format back to how I had it (M/D/YYYY), the editor opened without issue.

Online/Offline: Offline
Category: Code

Reproducibility: Sometimes

Summary: KF2 crashes due to an assertion error on startup.

Description: The first time I run KF2 after a system boot/restart, it doesn't crash. After that, it's about a 50% chance the game will crash. As far as I can tell, it seems to happen when I use the -useunpublished command line (which I use often when mod testing), but I haven't really tested it too much without that line.

This is happening because of an assertion error in a BitArray library, from what I can gather from the crash log:

Spoiler!

Here's a relevant .dmp file

Online/Offline: Offline

Not related but have you had issues where on 1st launch, the game quite literally crashes steam connection and puts you into offline state till it reboots, which makes so that the game fails to connect to master server. (E.g. Unable to retrieve perks levels and account's current daily set)

it's like 80% chance and can occur again without system reboot.
Or is it just me?
(also note its not the first time that happens, had same issue a couple of events ago)

Upvote 0
Foster Parent;n2328430 said:
We have several reports of it and are trying to repro it in-house. It is harder to get it here from some reason; faster connection probably. If you see anyway to make it happen, we would love to hear about it.

i mean i have a respectably fast connection of 88-96 Mbps both up/down (since i live near ISP)
It might be issue with slower hardware.... Since Valve tried to be a Discord wannabe, that newly redesigned steam ui is not optimised at all.
With frequent crashes while trying to bring it up in overlay.

Some said that steam with chat or at least friends list open, can use up to 100% cpu power (didn't verify myself because i couldn't be arsed)
Might be causing this current issue... which wouldn't be surprising since kf2 in main menu uses full power of gpu and cpu and doesn't leave enough room new steam to function that causes that crash.
(i might be talking a lot of nonsense right now, but this is my current thinking process)

So again, it might be an issue with lower end hardware that is few years old, that can't handle new steam well, with a game that is immediately taxing in main menu.
Just a reminder i have: i5 2320, gtx 650 oc and 4gb of ram.
sidenote: the game loads even longer now, especially when transitioning between levels in any server (kfgame folder freshly reset)

Last edited:
Upvote 0