• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Skins not shareable and pat voicelines missing from the mall.

s5yn3t

Grizzled Veteran
  • Sep 20, 2015
    1st bug: weapon with a skin applied that is dropped willingly for another person to pick up, the picked up weapon won't have the skin applied.

Played a game of shopping center and i saw a fellow zerk rocking the rgb bonecrusher, and so I've asked if he could drop him bonecrushes in exchange for the same exact weapon but having different skin to it.
    Ended up being that my applied skin overrode the dropped weapon one's and i was seeing my skin instead of his, which wasn't a thing before as long as i remember.

Further testing required tbh, but i don't have anyone in the list right now who has a good amount of crate skins to test it out.

Situation notes I've noticed during exchange:
    • He had upgraded his bone crushes while mine was stock.
    • We both had skins equipped which might overrode the already applied skin. (which as far as im concerned wasn't the case since the skins debut till now, the applied skin would stick to the weapon no matter the circumstances)
    2nd bug: Patriarch's shopping mall announcer lines about random things is absent from the multiplayer.

It's present in offline, but online its missing... so do heavy breathing while sprinting, some additional voice lines that are also missing from online but are played offline.

omano;n2327827 said:
    Many updates ago.

edit: as I have a backup of source code since very long time, if you know where to look I'll tell you exactly when.

i honestly don't.
    but im 80% sure it began from the introduction of upgrade system (of which i took 3 months break because of how alien it felt when all the meta weapons were suddenly changed as well.)

​​​

Upvote 0
    Foster Parent;n2327851 said:
    I'll ask, but I could see an economic reason, if skins have value either monetarily or as investment of time, and are a motivator to play, have an air of exclusivity or rarity, one might not want them tradable outside the marketplace.

which honestly doesn't make sense.
    Some players willingly asked someone holding a stock gun, to give them it to apply a fancy skin.
    Sometimes to show off or give a friend a test run and see if they liked it and would want to buy it in the market place.

If the "economic reasons" would be justified, csgo would do the same thing as the kf2 does currently.... But it doesn't, skin is being applied to the gun till it dissapears in the next round if no one picked it up.

​​​​​​There's also an irony when game was marketed with "shared weapons" system, yet now denies the share of a skin on a weapon for the duration of the match.

Upvote 0
    It seems this has been discussed before. People pointed me to other discussions like this. It appears that the change was originally part of work done for performance reasons (a gun contains a lot of data - mesh/textures/sounds/particles - to pick up smoothly/quickly) and the skin aspect came with it. It wasn't the main point. So, it is on a list of things to consider. That is not to say it will go one way or another, just that they hear you.

Upvote 0
    Foster Parent;n2327857 said:
    It seems this has been discussed before. People pointed me to other discussions like this. It appears that the change was originally part of work done for performance reasons (a gun contains a lot of data - mesh/textures/sounds/particles - to pick up smoothly/quickly) and the skin aspect came with it. It wasn't the main point. So, it is on a list of things to consider. That is not to say it will go one way or another, just that they hear you.

Im not saying thats its a complete deal breaker and i will leave and so on.... Its just dissapoiting you know? Silently removing the share aspect without any mention.

I find it odd a bit that it would affect performance.
    Since a gun skin is nothing more than a texture that replaces the stock one... At most it would affect the needed vram than anything else... Or am i wrong?

Upvote 0
    I'm a bit intrigued that this was done to improve performance related to picking weapons up.

Maybe on older system it helped? I know personally I never noticed a difference when this was changed. Surprised to hear it is helping with performance..

Like s5n, I went away for a bit and took a break from KF2 and I never realized this even went away.

Upvote 0
    All I know is that, even as we approached early access, picking up a dropped gun was something that was hard to accomplish. It was (then) about 7+MB that needed to load in a few ticks. Without all the data - 1st and 3rd, sounds, particles - you couldn't use it or even see it. A lot of squeezing went into getting it optimized. It couldn't take even one more wafer thin mint. All of that was before skins were even a thing, or upgrades.

Upvote 0