• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Performance is worse while the player isn't shooting

Mises

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2016
Category: Code

Reproducibility: Always

Summary: The frame rate drastically goes down if the player isn't shooting for some time.

Description: The bug is always there. Just cease shooting. The frame rate should go down. Now begin shooting as fast as you can. The frame rate should decidedly go up. An example: in an offline Catacombs game, during the trader time, I had 130 FPS. When I began spamming LMB with the 9mm pistol, it went up to 230.
Attacking with some weapons, as flamethrowers and melee weapons, doesn't seem to improve the frame rate. So when reproducing this make sure to use a projectile weapon.

Online/Offline: It happens regardless.

Well, this issue seems to be tied to FleX. What is weird though is its inconsistency. Shooting sometimes doesn't make the game perform better.
Also, why does this happen to begin with? When shooting, the game has to calculate more things, so it should perform worse.
It's a shame that I'll have to forgo FleX gibs to get rid of this problem. Blowing up ZEDs and seeing their intestines flying is great.
I don't know who botched the whole thing - was it NVIDIA or Tripwire? Personally, I think that FleX, while demanding, isn't intrinsically bugged and it's rather Tripwire who neglected it and didn't optimize it.
I don't remember this problem occuring in older versions of KF2. After some update (I guess it was the one with ZED Landing), the game began stuttering during the trader time unless the player began shooting. And this bug exists to this day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mises;n2310379 said:
Well, this issue seems to be tied to FleX. What is weird though is its inconsistency. Shooting sometimes doesn't make the game perform better.
Also, why does this happen to begin with? When shooting, the game has to calculate more things, so it should perform worse.
It's a shame that I'll have to forgo FleX gibs to get rid of this problem. Blowing up ZEDs and seeing their intestines flying is great.
I don't know who botched the whole thing - was it NVIDIA or Tripwire? Personally, I think that FleX, while demanding, isn't intrinsically bugged and it's rather Tripwire who neglected it and didn't optimize it.
I don't remember this problem occuring in older versions of KF2. After some update (I guess it was the one with ZED Landing), the game began stuttering during the trader time unless the player began shooting. And this bug exists to this day.

If you are totally sure that the perfomance issue you're experiencing is tied to Flex, you should report this bug to the nvidia itself, since its their job to have their physics engine run properly as Tripwire doesn't have much power to do much here... Kittenmittens

Upvote 0