• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Ragdol animation and phantom bloat mines

s5yn3t

Grizzled Veteran
  • Sep 20, 2015
    K first obvious one with the ragdols having a spaghetti animation.

Category: Animation

Reproducibility: Always

Summary: Killing a zed with a gun that produces a lot of force will stretch the ragdol like a chewing gum... Or a spaghetti :D

Description: Grab a shotgun (hz12 or better boomstick) with extra dmg and choke skills, shoot gorefast, gorefiend (especially), bloat and crawler into the head.
    The 1 shot blow to them to the head creates so much force that their bodies fly away while their limbs stretch out like crazy and then later catch up... Sometimes doesn't but its only with gorefiend.

Ok, now a 2nd bug that keeps annoying since the release of bloat that spawns mines in the survival.

Category: Code and enviroment

Reproducibility: Non that i know off, it just happens at random.

summary: Sometimes a bloat mine doesn't despawn after a wave end. Its model dissapears but its entity still there and will do dmg.

Last edited:
    For the phantom mines sometimes I even have bloat bile on me during trader when I am far from where we killed the zeds, so for me it is not only despawned bloat mines that are still here for the server, but random invisible mines all over the map (I remember also someone complaining from bloat bile at same time as me on teamspeak, during trader time, when we were not at same place when it happened, so this is really weird bug I think. Good luck for that one.

Upvote 0
    What you're reporting about the bloat mine is known and being investigated.
    Could you provide a video or screenshot with what you are describing about stretched animation? Specs and settings are also very helpful with graphic bug reports. I've seen enemies' ragdolls get stretched before, but only when using mods or there are "Zane shenanigans" involved in the match. xD

Upvote 0
    Kittenmittens;n2304052 said:
    What you're reporting about the bloat mine is known and being investigated.
    Could you provide a video or screenshot with what you are describing about stretched animation? Specs and settings are also very helpful with graphic bug reports. I've seen enemies' ragdolls get stretched before, but only when using mods or there are "Zane shenanigans" involved in the match. xD

i mean... I played from high, medium to low settings.

current rig has an i5 2320, radeon hd 6770 and 4gb of ddr3

the whole ragdol thing was also happening on my dead rig that had gtx 650.

recording will be problematic... A lot of stutter and frame loss... But i can stream the game through steam broadcast if you're willing to waste a bit of time to see what i actually mean :)

oh and everything that i described happens in vanilla servers... Maybe even solo but i havent tried.... Yet.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    I think the whole ragdol thing is tied to the gorefast/fiend limbs being stuck to the ground that causes them to stretch.

offline its all good, but online.... With choke and extra dmg on boomstick, shooting gorefiend into the head creates so much force that it pushes his blades into the ground and anchoring him for a few moments while his body flies for a homerun, which causes his ragdol to stretch in quite random fashion.... Either stretches like a gum or goes full tornado

Upvote 0
    Reviving this thread, because of a theory that i have of what causes Gorefiend limbs to stretch way beyond models limit.

I had a random game in a random map doesn't matter, while trader time still ticks down i decide to stab dead zeds... one of which was gorefiend.
    And something unintended happend, i could cut Gorefiend into pieces!

By default (especially when playing on low graphical settings) the Dismember dead zeds is set to False, so every other zed after couple of seconds cannot be dismemberd, except for Gorefiend.

So my theory is that when you kill gorefiend with a high knockback weapon like dbs or m79, rpg and so on, his model has a conflict with the "Rule" that it creates this visual bug where gorefiend goes haywire stretching like dough.

I can't really test it myself since idk how or ability to change coding or anything... + no time because of upcoming tests and then exams in uni ^^

Upvote 0
    Ok, got it. That stretch effect is not an uncommon thing in 3D engines - we've all seen it in Fallout, etc. Like the geometry penetration wiggle problem and similar oddities. The thing is how well does a game capture them. Sounds like they are looking into it now, but I'll confirm. Probably the same underlying dynamic, be it bombs or bullets.

Upvote 0