• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Xbox 360 controller drift even with new controllers?

You're right, I also have the problem with a xbox 360 controller. I already replied to someone in another thread that it might be a problem with a bad dead zone in the controller. Since then, I bought a new complete joystick to change the one on my old controller (which was actually fairly used and was a bit loose in the center), desoldered the old one, soldered the new one, and the problem is still there, when the controller is plugged the character in game is slightly strafing to the left continuously. I tried another more recent controller, and problem still occurs. A friend bought a completely new one, and problem still occurs.

I tried to calibrate the controllers in windows but problem is still the same. The character is always strafing slightly to the left.

The problem is not a bad dead zone in the controller. I tried the controller in multiple games like race simulation and so on, and there is absolutely no problem with the controller.

There is absolutely no settings in game regarding the dead zone of joysticks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I plugged in a Wired 360 Controller and did not experience this issue. I have also tried Dualshock 4 (via Xinput mappers) and Xbox One controllers and did not experience any left stick drift. This appears to be hardware issue with your controllers and replacing the sticks wouldn't necessarily address this issue if the actual input pads are worn down. I would check you controllers via a testers and see if there's any dead zones or drift with the sticks themselves.

Upvote 0
A BRAND NEW ONE does the same thing as my used, and really used one (one which I physically replaced the stick completely). If this is not a problem with Killing floor 2, why is that I only have the problem in Killing Floor 2? All other games I try with the controllers have NO ISSUE WHATSOEVER (example in different race simulations/game the car goes completely straight)... so.. I don't know. How can we increase the dead/neutral zone anyway on Killing Floor 2? I found no options to do that.

Upvote 0
Omano is correct, i have the same problem with multiple (new and old, wired and wireless controllers). If i recall correctly, when the game was in early access, i did not have this problem. I believe it started a few months ago with one of the updates (not sure which one). I have tried recalibrating my controllers as well. I'm not sure what other info would be useful.

Upvote 0
Yeah I'm also pretty sure there is a problem with the game but I will not buy a bunch of controller to prove my point. TWI staff don't have the problem so we surely are wrong :awkward:

I'm sure the dead zone in KF 2 is less than 1% and any slight variation in joystick production cause this problem (TWI is lucky and own perfect joysticks on their controllers, we are not lucky, we got joysticks with a really minor defect and the center is a micron away). If TWI knows a way to increase the dead zone in KF 2 for the joysticks, let us know, we'll test by increasing/reducing dead zone in game and see the results, but fact is that KF 2 is the only game I own where there is a slight activation of the left joystick when I do not touch it, none of my racing games (you know when you're full speed in a straight line, you can't miss this kind of problem), even the WII-U emulator does not have this problem with the lowest dead zone possible... I think KF 2 as maybe not even a dead zone and take direct pure input from 'zero' for the joystick.

I don't know a way to prove it, but reality doesn't lie.

edit: and that's not my computer either as I know people who also have this problem when a xbox 360 controller is plugged in)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
UP almost all my friend experience this problem, this is a problem with KF 2 only, come on, increase the dead zone or let us have a setting to be able to properly set the dead zone (almost sure KF2 has no dead zone in left stick) or maybe simply an ingame setting to disable controller completely if you do not want to fix the problem at least give us a way to disable controller from game; this is getting REALLY annoying to be ignored.

edit: https://forums.tripwireinteractive....spinning-on-it-s-own-with-xbox-360-controller this guy here had same problem with right stick lol I though back then it was a problem in controller. Now I'm pretty sure this is same issue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
omano;n2308326 said:
Issue related here too (with different controller than XBOX) https://forums.tripwireinteractive.c...360-controller the user doesn't want to use controller but it detect slight input so his menu is always with the 'xbox theme'

I saw that thread. I had replied to it. I'll post an update when I have one to give. :)

Upvote 0