• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Decapitations now visible on low gore mode, game is unplayable for me now

Kilkakon

Jul 12, 2013
Category: 3d art/game settings

Reproducibility: Always

Summary: Ever since the Descent Patch I can't play this game as decapitations have been added to the low gore mode.

Description: I bought this game because of the low gore options that were available. Now I can't play the game at all as decaps can't be disabled under any gore mode. Please remove them from the low gore mode and find another way to solve the xp exploit from headshots so I can play the game again. (Literally have to body shot everything and play offline so I don't see them...)

Last edited:
Kilkakon;n2290596 said:
I'm squeamish and can't handle the decapitations... Yeah I know I bought a game that's all about gore--but it can be turned off, and it's a fun game without it. I've since sunk 50 hours into the thing, but I would like to be able to play again :) I rewarded the low gore option with my purchase!
Dammit, this is the cutest response ever. I certainly wasn't expecting that response, and now I want more than anything for you to be able to play!

CAN WE REMOVE DECAPITATIONS FOR LOW GORE MODE?!

I am all for it. I don't understand why they would be included in the low-gore mode to begin with! I've never played with that option enabled, but I assume there's blood in the decapitations now? We should get something silly going on, like confetti or ridiculous stuff like that.

Reactions: Kilkakon
Upvote 0
I don't understand why they would be included in the low-gore mode to begin with!
Because without decapitation it breaks the game mechanics?

//edit: if changing graphics option removes game features this is non sense. if you can not trigger zed time or increase zed time because there is no decapitation, this is just breaking the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tussell;n2290818 said:
Dammit, this is the cutest response ever. I certainly wasn't expecting that response, and now I want more than anything for you to be able to play!

CAN WE REMOVE DECAPITATIONS FOR LOW GORE MODE?!

I am all for it. I don't understand why they would be included in the low-gore mode to begin with! I've never played with that option enabled, but I assume there's blood in the decapitations now? We should get something silly going on, like confetti or ridiculous stuff like that.

Haha thanks dude. When I complained on Reddit I got the usual "Why did you do this you crazy person" responses. :p

To be clear on what the behaviour was before this patch, heads would stay attached and just bob around unnaturally on the body. They were decapped in a gameplay sense, just not visually. The only issue was that (it was a bug) classes like Gunslinger could keep hammering away at the already decapped head for more experience/rack 'em up perks. I propose that they fix that bug and revert the graphical change. :)

Upvote 0
omano;n2290825 said:
Because without decapitation it breaks the game mechanics?

//edit: if changing graphics option removes game features this is non sense. if you can not trigger zed time or increase zed time because there is no decapitation, this is just breaking the game.
I think you're missing something here...

We're not talking about taking out a game mechanic, I'm talking about taking out the animation of a head tearing off a neck and blood squirting everywhere. I'm sure there's a way to just make the head disappear with no grotesque effects and still allow for Zed time and stuff. There have been games with low/no gore options for years... It can't be that hard!

Upvote 0
omano;n2290908 said:
The opening post did not talk about that, he just said "decapitation" not "animation of a head tearing off a neck and blood squirting everywhere". He want NO DECAPITATION AT ALL, read first post.
If there is gore (like blood everywhere) in a no gore mode that's surely a bug yes.
Okay...? Was that supposed to come off as cocky as it did?

Let's get this all laid out nice and neat for you.

As of 3-26, a user, who strictly played (and dumped ~50 hours) in low-gore mode on Killing Floor 2, is now experiencing animated decapitations. Prior to that, he wasn't. As opposed to an "animation of a head tearing off a neck and blood squirting everywhere", it's an animation of a wobbly head. This being said, was the game broken, lacking Zed time and the ability to prolong or shorten its time prior to 3-26? I assume not, as he dumped 50 hours into it without a single mentioned issue.

I can read the first post, I assure you, but if you read the third post, it says he's squeamish. I think it's safe to say, using simple inference skills, one could assume that the issue with the current low-gore mode is the "animation of a head tearing off a neck and blood squirting everywhere", not the mechanics of Zed time and the repercussions of a headshot. I mean, he labeled the issue as '3d art/game settings', which leads me to believe it has to do with the art and animations taking place in this specific game setting.

Reactions: Kilkakon
Upvote 0
I guess this is a youngster just afraid of headless things, did you know this game is not for youngster?

However I ever turn on no gore mode because I don't like a beautiful map covered with blood (Ex: KF-blockfort).

But I use Support and shot the zed's head with SG500 before the TheDescent, the zed just like hit by a "Train", fly like a "Home run", so I guess that's the reason they add decapitation back to the No Gore Mode.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tussell;n2290924 said:
As of 3-26, a user, who strictly played (and dumped ~50 hours) in low-gore mode on Killing Floor 2, is now experiencing animated decapitations. Prior to that, he wasn't. As opposed to an "animation of a head tearing off a neck and blood squirting everywhere", it's an animation of a wobbly head. This being said, was the game broken, lacking Zed time and the ability to prolong or shorten its time prior to 3-26? I assume not, as he dumped 50 hours into it without a single mentioned issue.

I can read the first post, I assure you, but if you read the third post, it says he's squeamish. I think it's safe to say, using simple inference skills, one could assume that the issue with the current low-gore mode is the "animation of a head tearing off a neck and blood squirting everywhere", not the mechanics of Zed time and the repercussions of a headshot. I mean, he labeled the issue as '3d art/game settings', which leads me to believe it has to do with the art and animations taking place in this specific game setting.

This summaries my issues nicely. The wobbly head animation was what was used with KF1's low gore mode and KF2's low gore mode prior to Descent patch, and I'd like that to make a return so I can play the game again.

Upvote 0
Some people fear of blood.

Some people fear of "Headless" things.

Some people fear of spider. (crawler look like spider)

Some people fear of darkness. (Farmhouse)

Some people fear of mutant things. (Summer Sideshow Crawler)

Unfortunately, these horrors are congenital and eternal for them.

They may puke or flinch or even faint when they triggered inner horror by seeing these.

Recovered the low gore setting may save the "Fear of Headless" and "Fear of Blood" players come back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Refund: Asking for a refund after having played for 50+ hours because a feature was changed that is not central to the game is unrealistic. I can understand that you want to throw that word around to add some pressure to your request. They might even do it just for customer service. But I don't see it happening as you already got 50 hours of entertainment out of the purchase price.

Solutions:
1.) Is it possible to replace the zed models? If so you could try to get someone to create models for you in the workshop.
2.) Play solo and with flamethrower only :(
3.) Find a custom server that uses only custom zeds (those are often not decapitable)
4.) Keep pushing and hope for a fix.

@modders and devs
Src/KFGame/Classes/KFOnlineStatsWrite.uc:1111 .. is this where the magic happens?
PHP:
private event AddToHeadshots( byte Difficulty, class<DamageType> DT )
{
    //Do both separately to allow for multi-perk pass through (Ex: single flare uses both)
    if( IsGunslingerHeadshot( DT ) )
    {
        AddGunslingerHeadshot( Difficulty );
    }

if( IsSharpshooterHeadshot(DT) )
    {
        AddSharpshooterHeadshot( Difficulty );
    }
}
Could there not be a pre check for decap / bleedout state of a zed? Or maybe if headshot dmg received is already greater than max head health?

I have no experience with unrealscript so I don't know if it could be done that way.

Upvote 0
Patros;n2305763 said:
Refund: Asking for a refund after having played for 50+ hours because a feature was changed that is not central to the game is unrealistic. I can understand that you want to throw that word around to add some pressure to your request. They might even do it just for customer service. But I don't see it happening as you already got 50 hours of entertainment out of the purchase price.

Solutions:
1.) Is it possible to replace the zed models? If so you could try to get someone to create models for you in the workshop.
2.) Play solo and with flamethrower only :(
3.) Find a custom server that uses only custom zeds (those are often not decapitable)
4.) Keep pushing and hope for a fix.

@modders and devs
Src/KFGame/Classes/KFOnlineStatsWrite.uc:1111 .. is this where the magic happens?
PHP:
private event AddToHeadshots( byte Difficulty, class<DamageType> DT )
{
//Do both separately to allow for multi-perk pass through (Ex: single flare uses both)
if( IsGunslingerHeadshot( DT ) )
{
AddGunslingerHeadshot( Difficulty );
}

if( IsSharpshooterHeadshot(DT) )
{
AddSharpshooterHeadshot( Difficulty );
}
}
Could there not be a pre check for decap / bleedout state of a zed? Or maybe if headshot dmg received is already greater than max head health?

I have no experience with unrealscript so I don't know if it could be done that way.

Or he can downgrade graphics to like pre alpha stage through ini file to remove any gore... Textures, decapitation, basically just pure gameplay :d

tho now to think about, when i used to play like that blood and decapitation were disabled... So like....

just question, what's the point of buying a game that one of its features is a gore system and you can't handle a simple decapitation that looks more like a balloon being poped

​​​

Last edited:
Upvote 0