• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Graphical glitches with water and clouds in middle of screen.

Serious

Mar 7, 2015
I had seen this before in Biotics Lab by the aquarium parts but it wasn't too bad. I've also seen it really bad on custom maps, but it's even happening on Zed Island now and I can't see anything. I've reset all graphics settings, turned them all the way down, all the way up. Nothing seems to fix this issue. It started happening a few patches back.
Win 7, i7-3930k, GTX 980 Ti, Nvidia drivers 376.33 WHQL. I have tried older drivers as well.
Thanks.

Attachments

• photo18100.jpg
    photo18100.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo18101.jpg
    photo18101.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 0
  • photo18102.jpg
    photo18102.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 0
I've been trying to look into this but have been unable to reproduce this issue on my machine. Is it possible that your machine is using the integrated graphics on your Intel chip instead of your Nvidia card? We've seen some strange behavior in the past with integrated graphics which is why its not officially supported. Your machine should be using the Nvidia card but sometimes, often in the case of laptops, will utilize the integrated graphics card in order to lower power consumption.

If you want to see if it's using the graphics card, then go to the Device Manager by right clicking on my computer, click "manage", click "device manager" on the left, then double click "display adapters." This will tell you what your computer is physically using.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No Title

I'm sorry, I obviously didn't check back after that. I thought it was just a submitted bug and there wouldn't be troubleshooting. lol
It's a desktop computer, the i7 3930k doesn't have integrated graphics. Although, I DO also have an old GTX 670 I added in months ago to try to make Fluids and Gibs run smoother.
I ended up turning Nvidia Flex off completely because some big explosions turned 120 fps into 30.
GPUz and Nvidia Inspector show the load is completely on the 980 Ti though.
Although, I remember having trouble getting Flex to be enabled with Phyx set to use the 670... I will retrace my steps on what I did to get it to finally enable.

Here's a screenshot of settings on the ZedLanding map, you can see the water popping out in the background.

Attachments

• photo18254.jpg
    photo18254.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I uninstalled drivers and reinstalled... no change. Then used driver sweeper, no luck. So I removed the GTX 670 completely... no change still. I was just thinking that if I were at work, I would suggest reinstalling Windows at this point... but just now I realized there is something I should have tried from the start. That is to make sure it's not something under the user configuration.
So I renamed my MyDocuments\MyGames\KillingFloor2 to KillingFloor2.old so that it created an all new folder with default files... and guess what?? No rendering issues!
I replaced the new folder with the old, and the problem came back. So there must be something causing it.
I will try to pinpoint if it's a certain setting in a config file or not and report back so that you know what causes it.
Thanks.

Upvote 0
Quick update, it's something in the KFSystemSettings.ini. There are a billion settings so it'll be hard to compare. But right off the bat I see there are some settings missing from my old file that are in the new one. I know hadn't manually changed anything in it when the problem started. I've uploaded the ini in case you want to see it.
At this point it's more about curiosity of the exact cause. Otherwise you could consider it solved.
Thanks.

Attachments

• KFSystemSettings.zip
    5.3 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
omano;n2286455 said:
:D resetting user config is actually the FIRST thing you want to do when you have a problem lol

lol I know right? Well... in my defense, I did as a matter of fact reset the default settings from inside the game. In fact I said so on my first post. So there!

However, I should have thought about user configuration files too. If someone else had an issue I usually first see if it happens under my user profile. I just hadn't changed anything when the problem started and it happened after a game update.
As an "IT Professional", I thought about what recently changed... but I've overthought issues before and felt like an idiot later. lol

Upvote 0