• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Server eating more and more memory days after days.

®omano

Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2009
France
www.hellsoldiers.tk
Category: Code

Reproducibility: Always

Summary: The more you play, the more RAM the server uses days after days

Description: I noticed that my KF 2 servers eat more and more memory the more you play on them. I have to restart them daily to be sure nothing bad happens.

When you start a KF 2 server it uses less than 1GB of memory, but after a few days, it uses the double this ammount. and I'm pretty sure I had servers using around 16% of memory on my 16GB RAM dedicated server, which is way too much in my opinion (empty server after around a week of non consistent play on it).

I think after each game, some things are not purged correctly and the server accumulates more and more things in memory.

It is not that hard to confirm, just let a KF 2 server running, play on it every day, and monitor memory usage. You will see it increases for no obvious reason. This was reported a long time ago in other threads, I personally replied "my servers do not have memory leak as far as I know" and did not take this too seriously, but after a long period of observation when I accidentally noticed that they were actually using too much memory, I can clearly confirm that yes, there is some kind of "memory leak" the more you play on it.

This is a critical bug in my opinion and should be looked at, lot of server providers surely do not want to allocate the double or triple memory amount it initially needs... and for self providers like me, we like to run things when it is working good without having to monitor everything..

Thank you for not ignoring this and having a look at it.

PS: if other server admins can monitor their servers and not restarting them every day to confirm that would be cool ;)

Online/Offline: Both I guess

Up!

Is it known and will be fixed in the future or not?

Here is an example, server I marked with the red cross is started since 06/15/16 01:27:04 and we are now 06/17/16 07:39:00 so it is started since nearly 55 hours, servers I marked with a green cross are restarted since a 2 hours (daily morning restart).

659684Capturedcran20160617072544.png

The machine these servers run on got 16GB of memory, so if the server uses around 10% of this, it is more or less 1.6GB of memory used when a fresh server uses around 650MB..
(EDIT: note also that the CPU use is doubled compared to the fresh servers, all servers were empty when I took the screenshot..)

Here is this server log, you can check how much we played on it since it started, and any other relevant information you can need. https://www.dropbox.com/s/62f4o94jxk4viz4/MemoryLeakLaunch.zip?dl=0

I hope I will have an official reply on the issue, and also more server owners checking and confirming this..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
763873memoryLeakKF2Day4.png

X : not restarted since 06.15
X : restarted daily (here a few hours ago)

Note: All servers from image are empty. 16.4% of 16GB is around 2.6GB of memory used.. for a KF 2 server, not restarted since 4 days. CPU use is also increased, for no apparent reason.

For me it is critical bug to fix for server owners and server providers.. at least for full release. I will keep updated days after days to see how much memory it can use (I hope it does not crash in the meantime)..

Upvote 0
The lack of communication on this forum is frustrating. Sometimes I wonder if anyone is even reading these. I reported a bug a month ago (was going on for a long time before I reported it even) with no response and still not fixed in the newest opt in beta. I bumped the thread yesterday with a pic and not a peep.

Upvote 0
Situation seems really better now (my server is currently using 1.36G of memory after almost two weeks of utilization, and others with daily restarts use around 700-800M of memory, not that bad but I guess still improvable). Weird nothing was said about it, at least I didn't read anything about that. Something I regret is that absolutely NO ONE came to help and confirm what I said or confirm that problem is on my end.. I guess server admins don't give a **** when it is not for them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0