• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Game Crashing on PC

Chibi

Feb 24, 2012
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me out to either figure out the stability issues I've been having or figure out a way to try to debug it. I've played Killing Floor 2 on PC a decent amount. I took a break towards the beginning of the calendar year, I believe and started playing again a little after the Tropical Bash release. Since I started playing again, I've been having one of the following types of crashes (I have dual monitors):

- Game simply crashes. This will usually say there was a video driver error. I get a prompt to submit a Bugsplat report. I do so, and the recommendation is always to verify integrity of game files (which I have done a few times).
- 2nd (non-game) monitor goes black instead of displaying desktop. Eventually, main monitor will also go black. Usually PC requires a hard reboot.

Here are the specs for my computer:

Intel Core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
16 GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

I've tried the following things:
- Turned off most visual effects. Reduced quality on various video settings.
- FleX is off
- Verified integrity of game files
- Rolled back video drivers to older version
- Updated to latest video drivers
- Reduced video settings significantly.
- Cleaned out dust from computer
- Applied new thermal paste to CPU
- Reinstalled (clean, removed everything from Killing Floor 2 main install and /My Games/KFGame directories)
- Enable only a single monitor
- Used borderless window mode instead of full-screen.

Nothing has solved my problem.

What usually happens is that I can play the game fine for a while, and then I start experiencing the crashing I noted above. I wonder if either my CPU is overheating or there's an issue with my video card?

I installed CAM Studio a couple weeks ago to try to monitor my CPU and graphics card, and they are generally not taxed from what I can tell. Sometimes when I crash, I do see a big CPU spike, but I'm not sure if that's really the cause or the spike is because the game has frozen. I experience crashes with CAM Studio off as well (I found some posts claiming CAM causes stability issues)

I do see some .dmp and log files in my /My Games/KillingFloor2/KFGame/Logs directory. I didn't see anything obvious in the log files. At times, it seems like the game has a hard crash and it stops writing to the logs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ideally, someone can help me find a fix, but even if it's info about some tools to try to better figure out what is going on would be really helpful. It's gotten to the point where I play the game less and less, because of the constant crashing.

Thanks!