• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server CANNOT get Welcome Screen working on server, after a year of trying

a burn victim

Oct 13, 2018
Hello, i tried posting this onto Dedicated Server Support but I couldn't find a way to post a new topic...

I have been trying for over a year now to get my Welcome Screen to pop up on my server.

Some people say the image should be an 8-bit PNG, that it should be a certain resolution, I did all that. Nothing

Hosted on multiple sites even my own server, nothing.

NO image at all, i can't get it to pop up.

I'm pulling my hair out, what am I doing wrong? Is anyone else having this issue?

I use KF2ServerTool in case that's relevant

Attached are all my server config files

Win10 64bit

If you edit the PCServer-KFGame.ini correctly, then it should work.
In that .ini file, scroll down to the section titled [KFGame.KFGameInfo] .................. Now scroll down to where you see the line, "BannerLink=" Add the location of the image file's location. Below here are additional lines to edit for your Welcome screen.

Make sure your server is stopped while editing files, surely you knew this but just checking.

I have no experience with KF2ServerTool, so that could be an issue. I go straight to my server host company, stop servers I want to work with, bring up the file(s) to edit and save, restart and poof.............. it's done.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just curious, what photo hosting service do you use? Tried again and still nothing :(

here it is, the relevant section,

everything seems to be in order and yet i cannot get the welcome screen to pop up

>

FriendlyFireScale=0.000000
KickVotePercentage=0.510000
TimeBetweenFailedVotes=10.000000
VoteTime=60.0
MapVoteDuration=60.000000
bLogGameBalance=true
BannerLink=http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=12EvqOJHGWzqlDf3_CfWXAiZdl5w1UPoN
ServerMOTD=Come hang with Peter, Quagmire, Joe, Cleveland, the whole Spooner St. gang! Sometimes I just wanna end it all
WebsiteLink=asd
ServerMOTDColor=(B=254,G=254,R=254,A=255)
WebLinkColor=(B=254,G=254,R=254,A=255)
ClanMotto=WELCOME TO THE DRUNKEN CLAM
ClanMottoColor=(B=184,G=74,R=184,A=255)
bEnableDeadToVOIP=true
ServerExpirationForKillWhenEmpty=120.000000
bDisableKickVote=False

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I use FTP on our website for my banner photo. Here's my entry so you can see.

BannerLink=http://geezergaming.net/kf2/geezer.png
ServerMOTD=\n \n Make sure to add all 8 of our KF2 servers to your Favorites. They vary in difficulty and length.\n NO racial slurs or excessive foul language. No advertising on our servers either out right OR in your gaming name. Keep it clean, drama free and have fun... period! \n Any problems with the server, maps or players, please contact me at blah blah@XXXXXXXXX OR blah blah on Steam.
WebsiteLink=http://geezergaming.net
ServerMOTDColor=(B=20,G=27,R=250,A=255)
WebLinkColor=(B=126,G=252,R=237,A=255)
ClanMotto=Old Gamers Never Die!
ClanMottoColor=(B=7,G=169,R=184,A=255)
GameModes=(FriendlyName="Survival",ClassNameAndPath="KFGameContent.KFGameInfo_Survival",bSoloPlaySupported=True,DifficultyLevels=4,Lengths=4,LocalizeID=0)
bEnableDeadToDeadVOIP=true

Not sure, but your banner link is looking like it is not directing directly to a .png file....... could be an issue. Also, if I remember correctly, spacing is critical here. Words can be hidden behind your banner image. Seems I had to play with spacing to get it all to show up correctly.

Other then that, I have no more ideas. Seeing as how I set this up long time ago......... the exact details of "how" are foggy, but I do remember having to tinker with the whole "Welcome Screen" thing to get it to work and display properly.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
After a suggestion from a KF2 friend, I put the default banner in and that finally got it to pop up at all, which is a step in the right direction

I now think the problem is the image itself. going to keep experimenting

I had been told only 8-bit depth PNGs work, but if yours is working fine then that's obviously not true

Also going to try hosting the image on my own server as well

Last edited:
Upvote 0
a burn victim;n2330305 said:
After a suggestion from a KF2 friend, I put the default banner in and that finally got it to pop up at all, which is a step in the right direction

Yeah, the image has to be a certain size. I believe it's 512x256 at most.
I recently had that issue after recreating my server (my last one died with my computer).
I just downloaded the image, Googled "image resizer" to resize and redownload it. Then used imgur to upload it and put it into the server.

Upvote 0