• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server how to get beta-opted server to update to latest version?

LolzMan1325

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
whenever there's an opt-in beta sometimes i update my server to participate in it, but when the actual update comes out, i can't get it to update to the latest version. any attempt to "update" or even "validate" are just met with SteamCMD saying everything is up-to-date, but when i start my server it's still the previous beta version.

Edit the file /steamapps/appmanifest_232130.acf in the steamapps folder of your KF 2 server to remove the beta item lines, this is a bug with steamcmd which keeps the beta line in this file when you start update without this beta option on a server where you previously executed an update WITH the beta item parameter.

Short answer delete /steamapps/ folder and do an update it will verify and update to stable branch.

Upvote 0
LolzMan1325;n2324984 said:
whenever there's an opt-in beta sometimes i update my server to participate in it,.
I just wondering how is this done? Can it be done through the web admin or do i need i need to do it through my server hosting control panel?

Ive only just gotten my server up and running a week and have not had a beta drop but I know one is on the way and want to opt my server in right away.

Thanks..

Upvote 0
SpookyD;n2329747 said:
I just wondering how is this done? Can it be done through the web admin or do i need i need to do it through my server hosting control panel?

Ive only just gotten my server up and running a week and have not had a beta drop but I know one is on the way and want to opt my server in right away.

Thanks..

it needs to be done with SteamCMD (the tool you used to download the server in the first place). I just followed this tutorial right here, down at the bottom of the "downloading the kf2 server" section where it says "If Tripwire is currently running a beta update of the dedicated server files".

basically you open SteamCMD, and type this:
Code:
login anonymous
force_install_dir C:\(location of your kf2 server folder)
app_update 232130 -beta "preview"

the name of the beta branch is usually "preview", but when you update your game on Steam to the beta it doesn't hurt to double-check the name in the Betas tab.

Upvote 0
LolzMan1325;n2329764 said:
it needs to be done with SteamCMD (the tool you used to download the server in the first place). I just followed this tutorial right here, down at the bottom of the "downloading the kf2 server" section where it says "If Tripwire is currently running a beta update of the dedicated server files".

basically you open SteamCMD, and type this:
Code:
login anonymous
force_install_dir C:\(location of your kf2 server folder)
app_update 232130 -beta "preview"

the name of the beta branch is usually "preview", but when you update your game on Steam to the beta it doesn't hurt to double-check the name in the Betas tab.

Thanks for that information but I did not download my server and have not used steamcmd before But I have taken the information you have given me and opened a support ticket with our server hosting company so hopefully they will know what to do..

Thanks again..

Upvote 0
If you have an update button and can access to the files of server and the steamapps folder in its root, then you may be able to use the bug I talked about the other way, put the beta preview line in the /steamapps/appmanifest_232130.acf file and then click update, it should update to stable version but if the bug in steamcmd is still there it will update to beta preview instead. Should look like this for the beta preview update:

"UserConfig"
{
"betakey" "preview"
}

"InstalledDepots"
{

Upvote 0