• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Dedicated Server Technical Issues & Requests

1. Workshop maps failing to update

Dedicated server can return an Item State 4 that the map is up-to-date which is incorrect. This forces you to delete custom map from both locations it's installed and delete all its traces from the appworkshop file in order to get an updated version. Launching the server with Steam closed can help a few times but not always. Eventually your server will stop updating all Workshop maps entirely. I was told this was a Steam issue but I still haven't seen any fixes for it yet.

2. Server failing to show important Warnings

The server can fail to return Workshop ID warnings that are crucial to the Admin. For example, when a Workshop page is private or taken down, this what the server should get.

EAA07B6AE10CE8DD9624E7DF58CFFE96680789C5.png

However, it does not, and instead returns an Item State 4 like everything is fine and dandy. The only way to get this warning to appear is by deleting all your workshop map data for your server and starting fresh, but it will stop working again very quickly

3. Prevent initiating kick votes on an Admin

Right now, Admins cannot be kicked which is good but not good enough. Players can still initiate a kick vote on an Admin. This should not be possible at all. It should return an error such as "This player cannot be kicked."

4. Web Admin Chat Problems

When you use Web Admin to send a message to the players in-game, your name will show up as a SPECTATOR which is false. On top of that, there's an extra set of SPECTATOR tags and more which looks absolutely ridiculous. I believe this became an issue back when VS mode was added. Here's an image:

Killing Floor 2 11.12.2017 - 23.10.45.09.png

On top of that issue, players using chat wheel commands like AFFIRMATIVE do not show up in Web Admin chat. They may be replying to the Admin because they believe they're spectating the game.

5. Chat Logging doesn't log Team Chat

A minor issue but still an issue. I've had players harassing others using team chat. Whether it was a mistake or intentional, it didn't show in my chat logs.

6. Admin can't see player who initiates kick votes

Even if you're logged in in-game as Admin or check your server logs, you'll never know who started the kick vote. It's quite humorous the server logs dosh tossed from players and logs players trying to change perks mid-game but it won't log a kick vote. Very funny.

7. Admin can't close active kick votes

As an Admin, you'll have to make a Yes or No vote and cannot close an active vote you may disagree with.

8. Disabling Spectators problem

You can disable spectators by setting the value to 0, but when players connect it doesn't tell them spectators are disabled. It says the server is full. Not a big issue though. The main problem I have with disabling spectators is that Admins are also excluded from spectating.

9. Admin Pause is confusing players

There needs to be a GAME PAUSED BY ADMIN message in the center of the screen. Right now, players literally think their game is frozen unless an Admin warns them ahead of time that game will be paused.

10. Admin automatically signed out every new game

You'll have to type in adminlogin password every game or bind it to a key if you want to stay signed in as Admin.

11. Web Admin crashes server at 519 custom maps (issue was addressed)

I'm not concerned with this issue anymore since TWI briefly addressed it in the past and I'm probably the only player in the game that deals with it. But it is still a problem.. Luckily I've come up with my own workaround.

That's all I got for now.

zachjd

Last edited:
+1 for almost all (10/ and 11/ are minor issues in my opinion as it can be worked around like said with a key binding, and a modification in server files, 8/ also is not so critical in my opinion)

for 9/ how many time, even by spamming the chat when I was going to pause, and during pause, people would disconnect (and reconnect then in rare cases) because they have no clue what is going on. Very frustrating.
3/ 6/ and 7/ would be great
1/ and 2/ are long time problem, I hope it will be fixed soon
4/ Agreed, also if you type from webadmin with non english characters, funny things happen ;) and 5/ is also a problem as people can bypass logging and then we can't check log as they are empty

I was going to open a thread like that, but you did it and with even more important stuff I would have forget to mention. Please TWI give some love to server admins, we're the ones running your community servers afterall, and these changes are more than needed to run them even better.

Upvote 0
Pretty much agree with everything here.

(For the kick voting, I think one of the devs were looking into that one.
(For 5, this one always bothers me, since most players (that i see) tend to use the teamsay command for the majority of the time. Of course, one of the devs are looking at that: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.c...al-weekly-mode
(10 was also a problem back in kf1, but still feels odd to get logged out regardless.

Just hoping TWI would look at these ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0