• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Router port forwarding limited to 10 rules. Will DMZ work for my server?

Utopia-Phoenix

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Qingdao, Shandong, China
^^topic
See this image 无标题2.png.jpg

Note that the new router has DMZ funtion besides the limited 10 rules of port forwarding. Will a combination of DMZ on the router, and a PASSPORT port forwarding app on the server, work? I'd like to see KF2 server running normal while being able to connect to the FAH console on my desktop PC via port 36330.

PS: the switch prior to server on moonlight manson is 100M bandwidth. This is because there are surplus equipment liberated from enterprises right now. Considering that none of the services require a big bandwidth the 100M is acceptable. However, if NAS function is integrated into the server the GBE switch becomes a must.
Also, the server is a homebuilt PC which consists of Intel Celeron G1610T+B75+DDR3 8G with WIN10 64 system. It has not (at least yet) been setup of remote controlling interface so it'll need a monitor to operate. The server has to be in the TV location cause this allows using TV as a monitor of thus computer.

Last edited:
soulreaver0412;n2301996 said:
While it's nice that you made the diagram, it's really overloaded and I can't find out what the problem is exactly. Could you reduce the diagram to the aspects directly concerning your KF2 setup? Or at least spread it out a little?

The network topology map isn't overloaded at all. Besides, my problem isn't really related to network topology.
It's because of the core router on the right map. The Phicomm K3. It supports NO MORE THAN 10 Port forwarding rules!
I don't want to replace it because of its EXCELLENT WIFI signal intensity. Also it's retrieved as a giveaway of buying financial products. So good so free. Dropping it is so big a pity.

will it work if I set dmz on K3 to the Server, and set the Server to relay ports required by other Lan PCs?

Note: The port relay software on PC is called PASSPORT instead of PASSWORD. I missspelled it on the topology.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Utopia-Phoenix;n2302031 said:
It supports NO MORE THAN 10 Port forwarding rules!
Thats exactly the problem, why your drawing is useless. If your router only supports 10 port-forwardings, then the rest of your lan-layout is completely irrelevant.
It would be much more reasonable to mention what piece of crap router you are using.
Putting a server into a dmz should not be a reason for a lack of portforwarding, that's like i don't want to be shot in my hiding, maybe it's better for me to stand in the open field where everybody can see me from far distance.
If you use shitty hardware, deal with it. If you don't want to, buy good hardware. It's as simple as this.

Upvote 0
Dr. Volter;n2302535 said:
Thats exactly the problem, why your drawing is useless. If your router only supports 10 port-forwardings, then the rest of your lan-layout is completely irrelevant.
It would be much more reasonable to mention what piece of crap router you are using.
Putting a server into a dmz should not be a reason for a lack of portforwarding, that's like i don't want to be shot in my hiding, maybe it's better for me to stand in the open field where everybody can see me from far distance.
If you use ****ty hardware, deal with it. If you don't want to, buy good hardware. It's as simple as this.

The Phicomm K3 has a good hardware combined with a sh1tty software. It consists of BCM4709C+512M DDR3+128M NAND flash. It has a horribly powerful(OPed) WIFI signal intensity. That's why I do not want it replaced.

Also, there are third-party firmwares that could be flashed to it. However, due to the closed-source condition of Broadcom solutions, the WIFI signal intensity from third-party firmwares are weaker than the official one. It IS the signal intensity that I chose it, and dropping it is something more severe than the port forwarding.

After all, I've got this problem half-solved. It's not this simple if I've got 3 PCs running KF2 servers.
捕获.PNG.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0