• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server What is the hardware requirements of Killing Floor 2 server?

Utopia-Phoenix

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Qingdao, Shandong, China
^^topic
I've got a homemade PC with Intel Celeron G1610T, and 1 strip of 8GB DDR3 memory. (Crucial Ballistix Sport) The OS is Windows 10 64bit.
Now I've set up the SteamCMD and hosted a bunch of KF2 servers in thus PC (and made configs in my router so the ports are accessable)

At first I set 5 servers, and later on 4. A few days earlier (Just after the V1054 update, at 11 PM UTC+8) I reckon that 4 servers are not enough to fully load my server and set for 8. Like this.

A few days after that I've received responses in my groupchat:"In later waves there are packet losses in your server as long as they spawn.". I was astonished and looked into the server but there isn't any evidence at all.

Just a few days before now I asked another 2 server admins and they mentioned something astonishing:

"Boot your PC to idle status. Check how much memory is available through taskmgr. Then divide it by 1.3 Gigabytes. That's how many 6-men servers you can start from this PC."
"Your server has got 8 gigabytes of ram. I reckon that you can at most setup 6 servers. 8 is a sure way of sh1tty gaming."
"KF2 servers are not sensitive to CPU performance. Each 0.6Ghz of a single core of Intel will be enough for one server."

These are experiences. I'd like to see if there are official answers for this. Any answers?

PS: Why I cannot remove this link after posting ite650efbf6c81800a31f09cbfbb3533fa828b4775.jpg

Last edited:
As far as I know there is no hardware requirement anywhere. Of course it is sensitive to CPU performance lol, a 6 man HOE game will need CPU power to manage all the zeds rushing from everywhere.. this rule of 0.6Ghz per server is dumb lol because depending on the CPU this is absolutely not the same calculation power. For the memory I would say it is right, you need minimum of 1GB of ram free to run a server, and if server does not reboot frequently (like daily or so), you'll need lot more per server.

Your CPU is pretty weak to run lot of servers in my opinion. There is no rule here, you'll have to do tests. Run only one server, and see how much CPU it can take in the worst situation during a full game of HOE from start to end. You have only 2 cores.. so take the max amount of CPU it can use on worst situation, and see how much you can fit that in your CPU, not forgetting that you do not 'cut' the consumption of one server (I mean if a server can use 40% of one core, you can only fit 2 servers per core only (so not three per core with the third being split on two cores), so let say in this example 4 servers max on your 2 cores CPU). This way you'll be sure it will not overload the CPU at any moment (like when all servers have activity at same time).

Also you can simply monitor CPU usage globally on the machine, it should never spike at 100% if you do not want any lag/performance degradation.

Also maybe I overlooked bu what about you connection? please do a test at www.nperf.com

Last edited:
Upvote 0
omano;n2299177 said:
As far as I know there is no hardware requirement anywhere. Of course it is sensitive to CPU performance lol, a 6 man HOE game will need CPU power to manage all the zeds rushing from everywhere.. this rule of 0.6Ghz per server is dumb lol because depending on the CPU this is absolutely not the same calculation power. For the memory I would say it is right, you need minimum of 1GB of ram free to run a server, and if server does not reboot frequently (like daily or so), you'll need lot more per server.

Your CPU is pretty weak to run lot of servers in my opinion. There is no rule here, you'll have to do tests. Run only one server, and see how much CPU it can take in the worst situation during a full game of HOE from start to end. You have only 2 cores.. so take the max amount of CPU it can use on worst situation, and see how much you can fit that in your CPU, not forgetting that you do not 'cut' the consumption of one server (I mean if a server can use 40% of one core, you can only fit 2 servers per core only (so not three per core with the third being split on two cores), so let say in this example 4 servers max on your 2 cores CPU). This way you'll be sure it will not overload the CPU at any moment (like when all servers have activity at same time).

Also you can simply monitor CPU usage globally on the machine, it should never spike at 100% if you do not want any lag/performance degradation.

Also maybe I overlooked bu what about you connection? please do a test at www.nperf.com

Network connection? China Unicom Qingdao (or Tsingdao), 30 Mbps download and 15 Mbps upload. To my testing it is practical a 34/17.

Also, he mentioned that it's the 0.6 Ghz of Intel Ivy bridge architecture. If using other Intel architectures or AMD Ryzen then it need to be modified a little. (SNB/IVB/Haswell/Skylake/Kaby lake has only minor enhancements per generation in performance per gigahertz, ryzen equals haswell) If using AMD FX processors then it's 1 Ghz.

Upvote 0
I wish to own a KF2 server too.

My bandwith test :
7199456764.png

Upload is alway around 5. Download is usually better than this test.

I wonder if an Intel NUC is enough to run just one server. Like this one : https://www.intel.com/content/www/us.../nuc7cjyh.html
Assuming I'll set 4 Go of RAM and a SSD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it would work yes, your connection is OK to handle multiple servers, and the NUC should be able to handle servers but I can't say that you could run lot of them. Pretty sure you will be able to run one without issues, but multiple of them I'm not sure. Do you plan to run it under Linux or Windows? I know someone who runs his server on an older generation of NUC under Linux and it works good, not the best possible but good (start of game may be delayed after the countdown finished, and micro lags can happen in a 6 players HOE games sometimes.. but also he was running it on WIFI so this could be the problem).

Upvote 0
Upvote 0