• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Game Resets and Crashes on Game Start and in Late Waves

LostCyborg

Nov 10, 2012
First off, I'm running the Beta - Preview. I have also disabled the server takeover feature in the PCServer-KFEngine.ini file. I did notice the server take over feature causing an issue the first day of Beta release and saw the PSA For Server Admins on Steam and applied that right away. I've also verified the setting is still present in my config.

However I personally started noticing this problem yesterday. It wasn't even as if the server completely crashed and reset to the default map, (although that did happen at least once). Usually it just skipped to another map in the cycle. It happened almost reliably on game start if it was going to happen, but I also experienced it a couple of times in late waves 7-10. Has this issue been reported by anyone else, and are there any debug options I can enable to analyze or send in to TW to take a look at?

One other odd thing did happen yesterday as well. At one point a player joined the server with the name [TW]OfficerDavid. I'm not sure if this was someone from TW or not, they are a member of the Trip Wire Developers group on Steam, but I don't know if this is in anyway officially associated with TW or not. I certainly wouldn't trust the player name or profile to tell me that. When they joined (as a level 1 Commando) they simply ran around with little purpose and died. Just as they died serious lag hit the server and then they left the game. So I figure either one of two things. It was a TW developer who was doing something or collecting data or info of some kind, or it was simply a hacker. But at any rate the reason I mention it is that the game crashes and resets seemed to really start after this. It is possible they existed before hand, but I definitely know it was there afterwards.

So at any rate, I figured I'd pose the question here to see what data I may be able to collect to diagnose the resets and perhaps provide the data to TW as a bug report to assist the devs. A few players on my server yesterday reported that it was only my server and a couple of players told me they experienced the same thing on multiple servers they joined. Bottom line I was hoping to provide data to assist with troubleshooting and development if possible since all the data I can provide here is simply anecdotal.

This is an update on this issue. I have found that if anyone spawns as medic the server crashes. It seems to happen with any player spawning as a medic. I know I've verified my local game cache, and joined my server spawned as medic and it resets everyone's connection. It doesn't appear that the server crashes, everyone just gets the boot more or less right when the game starts, and the map stays the same. Players can immediately join back.

Any help of debug logs I can provide to assist in finding root cause will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0