• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Steam WorkShop and Version Mismatch?

fwfdfireman

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
Joshau, Texas
I have scoured the forums for an answer to this problem and so far, have found none other than the numerous, time consuming steps a server admin must take to clear the issue up.

Now here is what is strange................

We put up SIX KF2 servers on a box we rent from NFO. I have subscribed to numerous custom maps in the KF2 Steam WorkShop. All required files in all instances have been edited EXACTLY the same and all the servers run just fine.

This morning on Server #1, which was full, the map "Nuked" was voted for. I got a "Version Mismatch" and after looking at Web Admin, I could see that none of the other players made it in, so I assume they got the same error.

I checked my "Nuked" map file on my PC and it was updated to the latest version.

I then went and checked on all 6 of our KF2 servers and only two had updated to the latest version. One had updated to the second update and the rest had never updated.

What is causing two servers to update properly on that map and the others to only update one time but still an old version and the others to NOT update at all?

Like I said in other posts, if this Steam Workshop and Custom maps that authors are putting is to succeed, YOU involved with this need to have a look and get it figured it. OR get compressed file working and we will just got to strictly using the Re-direct method.

I spend so much of my time just correcting things on our servers with the whole subscribed maps on our servers issues that it is becoming NOT fun anymore........ and no one is responding with a "we will have a look at what is going on".

I am at the point of cleaning it all out and run nothing but stock maps until this gets fixed and fixed good!!

If anyone has any insight in to this issue, please share.

Wanted to update this post with some new info.

Following Ducky's post >>>> http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...01#post2144001 >>>> I went to look around on all six of our KF2 servers. Here is what I found and might help lead to what exactly is going on with WHY some maps update properly and others don't. This all concerns maps that you add to your servers from Steam Workshop and have edited the proper files for your server.

The new info concerns the appworkshop_232090.acf file that Ducky referenced.

The two servers that properly updated the map in question in above post had "KF-Nuked" listed in BOTH sections of the .acf file, "WorkshopItemsInstalled" and "WorkshopItemDetails".

The other 4 servers that DID NOT update properly ONLY had the I.D# for "Nuked" listed in "WorkshopItemsInstalled" BUT NOT in "WorkshopItemDetails" !

Now how did that happen? I never changed anything.

When I have another issue with a map or maps, I will check this scenario again to see if it repeats.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I got the VersionMismatch also, maybe my "workflow" can help you. This what I've experienced, I didn't dig in that deep like you ;)

KF-Server 1: Map "Example 1" gets an workshop update -> server updates it.
KF-Server 1: Map "Example 2" gets an workshop update -> Steam Workshop API is down for a sec, server doesn't update it, leaves old map file.

KF-Server 2: Map "Example 1" gets an workshop update -> server updates it.
KF-Server 2: Map "Example 2" gets an workshop update -> Steam Workshop API is runnung, server updates it

The fastest way to fix this was just delete the contents of the Cache folder (while the server was off) to force redownloading all maps on starting. And before restarting the server to download the maps, check http://steamstat.us/ to be sure steam is up.

Upvote 0
Thanks h4zard. I should probably just do that, deleting cache on all 6 KF2 servers maybe once a week. But I hate that we, server admins, have to take these steps when the BEST option is that Tripwire/Valve get the issue resolved. Afterall, the SteamWorkshop idea for map/mods downloads is their baby! And yes, this is fwfdfireman but since they changed the forums, I have not been able to sign in to my original acct. Another issue here that just irritates the heck out of me. And yes, I finally got a notification to Tripwire about the acct.issue but have heard nothing in regards to my acct. Again, thx h4zard for the work-around. I was hoping that SOMEONE would see my posts and it would help lead them to what is causing this issue and getting it fixed. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Deleting the cache doesn't always work, because the steam workshop still has a local copy in the workshop folder. Over there it has the last downloaded version which most likely is the same as the one that was in your servers cache. It will then simply copy that version back to the cache without actually downloading it. As a result you get the same old version again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0