• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server No server after update

razzel

Apr 9, 2016
This is a recurring problem.

The KF2 ded server is running on a W7 machine.
Everytime there's an update, the server is missing from the game browsers serverlist.
I can see it in Steams serverlist but if I try to connect it says that the server needs to be updated. But there's no update available.
Webadmin works just fine.
Now, if I reinstall the server, the problem vanishes.
So everytime TripWire updates the server, I'll have to reinstall it.
Why?

Can anybody explain to me why server updates don't work?

Are you running "app_update 232130 validate" when updating the server?

Also sometimes the configs get updated so you might need to refresh them by deleting the old ones located in "KFGame\Config" leave the "Default#.ini" because they are used to generate them.

Yes, I do. So if I delete the old config files, the game will generate new ones when I launch it?

Upvote 0
I had to update the server yesterday and the same problem occured. I first updated the server (it took a while) following the instructions on the TripWire Wiki page. And when I tried to connect, it said that i must update the server, although I'd already done that.
If I reinstall it from scratch, everything's just fine. But I should not have to do that.

Upvote 0
Looking at your post #6, then I suspect that your server for some reason doesn't update. Due to this your server sticks to the old version and as a result the KF2 server browser will filter out your server. The steam server browser doesn't know about versions and displays all KF2 servers. Even if they would still be at the 1st KF2 release.
I think the question is why your server doesn't update. The steam update process first downloads all the new server files to a separate folder and then moves them to the correct server location. This can only succeed if the KF2 server is down when you run the update. Next to that make sure that you run the steamcmd with admin rights.

Upvote 0
Ok, it makes sense.

Here's another confusing detail. I download SteamCmd to the desktop and run it.

I then create a KF2 folder with this command: force_install_dir c:\KF2Server\It will then create files and folders on the desktop, besides the KF2Server folder.

Is it ok to put the SteamCmd on the desktop and run it from there?

Upvote 0
Also if you use the original server start BAT file to run the server, any customization to it will be lost and will be replaced with the original file when you update and validate your server files. So use a copy of this server start BAT file which will not be modified by the validation process.

But regarding what Ducky says and your last post, seems you're doing something wrong.

Upvote 0
Ok, let me explain how I do it.

1.First I go here: http://wiki.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?title=Dedicated_Server_(Killing_Floor_2). That's where I get the Windows installer
2. I download the installer, decompress it and put it on the desktop.
3. I double click the installer and login as anonymous.
4. I use force_install_dir c:\KF2Server\ to create the serverfolder.
5. I use app_update 232130 validate to dowload the server files. When the download has finished i exit the installer with 'quit'. The server works just fine now. The folder at C is about 9 GIG. But the installer also puts some files on the desktop: there are dll files and folders, roughly 20 items. They seem to wind up there because I put the installer there.

Let's say that TRipwire updates the server.

1. First I try to update the server.
2. I double click the installer and login as anonymous.
3. I use app_update 232130 to update the server.
4. When the update has finished I exit the installer with 'quit'.

Now, if I try to connect to the server, it says that I have to update the server files. The only thing that works is reinstalling the whole thing.

Upvote 0