• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Server hosting options?

infntnub

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
I never paid for a server in KF1 (only previously did this for Quake 3) - is there a generally viewed "best value"?

All of the hosts seem reasonably priced but I don't really know the reliability side/latency.

Any opinions? Most just look to be anywhere from 10 to 12 dollars/month for a 6 slot...

Figured general board was as good as any place to ask - I want a custom map rotation of kf1 map clones. :D

I've never paid for a server (only hosted on my own PC), but I'd say buying a server that's hosted close to you is a good rule of thumb. If you're on East Coast US, make sure you get a server that's there, the closer the better.
Obviously if you're in US and you get a server from a Euro site you'll get like 120 ping; Asia will get like 200 lol...

For various reasons there isn't a clear way of porting kf1 maps to kf2, and any custom maps for your server you'll have to find yourself as well as set up the INI files so they appear in your rotation (otherwise you won't be able to map vote for them).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can only speak to the experiences I've had so far, and all that is, is a short stint with Multiplay and another that I'm still engaged in with Fragnet.

Fragnet's people, from what I can tell, are extremely helpful, have a very user-friendly portal and webadmin, and aren't any more expensive than anyone else as far as I'm aware.

Upvote 0
I hosted servers for KF1 and KF2 I had 2 dedivated servers for KF1 one on Hard and one on Hell on earth. I had the same setup for KF2 before the game turned out like this.

My provider was www.gameservers.com I had some problems with slow reply on customer service cases but other than that they were awesome provider not so much options for mods and custom maps but with some Wiki help I managed to put custom maps and redirect the download.

My pals oversees used Vilayer and were pretty happy with it.

Now me and my friends no longer support KF2 and my new server provider for ARK survival evolved is www.HostHavoc.com and I can say that I have some problems setting up a remote tool but they are extremely good server provider you can see your CPU and RAM usage in real time and schedule restarts and basically anything with a code line. It's pretty awesome unfortunately I don't know if they offer KF2 servers ...

As a person who has over 400 hours and owned 2 servers since April untill December I can give you my oppinion and it is that it's pointless to host a KF2 server. It will be 99% of the time empty due to the fact that there are probably over 5000 servers and only about 1000 people who play on them. Also to make a community arround a server you need people who enjoy playing the game and there are no such people only those who want drops or to show off their drops and they care only for the end screen. Follow the Wiki and set up your dedicated server on your PC - play on it with password if that is your intention and then stop it, there is no need to pay 10 euro each month for something that will stay empty 99% of the time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0